Flu shot

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By Del4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 12th, 2013, 12:27 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
Are any of you planning on or being forced to receive the flu shot? I work for a hospital where it is mandatory to get the flu shot before December 1st. If you have received it before or plan to this year.....at what week do you think you will decide to get it?

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
September 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
I got one before I got pregnant with my son last time. Which made me feel better. I think I will again, though I'm not crazy about the idea. They do use a "pregnancy-safe" version with much lower harmful preservatives. I do get the flu every year (NY Subways - hard to avoid it!) so I'm thinking better to get it. I don't know - kind of on the fence! My dr's office does majorly pressure for it tho...
September 12th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will definitely get the shot (a good friend had a 2nd tri m/c due to the flu) but I really wish I could wait until the 2nd tri. Not sure I am comfortable waiting that long. Still thinking through that part!

September 12th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
I have never had a flu shot and I won't this year either. I have never had the flu.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

September 12th, 2013, 03:10 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's mandatory where I work also, I think they're starting them in two weeks-- I'll probably ask to wait until the end of October, but I will get it. I got them with both of my other pregnancies and had no ill effects.

September 12th, 2013, 03:43 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Never gotten the flu shot, never will

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
September 12th, 2013, 05:13 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masesmama View Post
I have never had a flu shot and I won't this year either. I have never had the flu.
Same here. Well, I had it once during my first pregnancy and I felt pressured into doing it by my OB. Haven't had it since, won't have it again.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
September 12th, 2013, 05:37 PM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm glad this was brought up. My work has free flu shots coming at the end of the month and I hadn't considered what I'm going to do. I had a shot during my first pregnancy, not sure what I will do this time.
September 12th, 2013, 06:56 PM
bugz
I've never had the flu shots, because I'm allergic, and I've never had the flu. So I won't be getting it.
September 13th, 2013, 07:07 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I got it during both of my pregnancies. It was the only way to give my babies resistance to the flu in the first few months, when they were too young to be immunized on their own. With babies, it can be hard to shelter them. My friend had an immunocompromised son, and even with a GIANT RED SIGN on her stroller that said not to reach in and touch him, strangers did just that and he ended up back in the hospital because of it. I was not taking any chances that some stranger would give my son the flu. I'd already lost one child, I was not risking the life of another if I had it within my means to protect him.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

September 13th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ive had the flu and the swine flu and I would rather be sick than have a vaccine. If I had to get the shots while pregnant I would do it as late as possible.

September 13th, 2013, 07:40 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am terrified of needles but being sick with a cold and a chest infection over the last week and seeing how badly I have taken it (still not better but getting there!) might just scare me enough into it.

September 14th, 2013, 06:33 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't plan on getting a shot.
I haven't had a flu shot in years. And I can't say I've ever had the flu. I know I've had viruses that made me feel similar to what the flu is supposed to be like. But I'm pretty sure I've never had it.
My sister actually refuses to get the flu shot anymore because every year that she does, she ends up with the flu. Now that she's stopped getting the shot, she hasn't had the flu. Funny stuff.
September 14th, 2013, 10:06 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If the shot actually prevented things more diversely and accurately I'd get it but I don't personally think the risk of getting it outweighs the risk of getting the flu. But, I also am low risk- I stay home and homeschool and we're not exposed to much. I did have the flu in my second trimester with my second and we were both fine. It was miserable but I find most days to be pretty awful when I'm pregnant anyway
Nel likes this.
September 14th, 2013, 10:15 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ive gotten it before and will this time. Our whole family usually gets the flu shot.

September 14th, 2013, 10:48 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I wasn't worried about me getting the flu (although that can have consequences for the baby). I was worried about my baby getting the flu right after being born. The flu shot in pregnancy gives your brand new baby a lot of immunity to the flu. That's why I got the shot.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

September 15th, 2013, 08:32 PM
It's not mandated where I work. Thankfully because I'm a nurse that's scared of needles .. Everyone else in my household is mandated by me to get it though.. I've been in healthcare for 12+ yrs and have not gotten the flu.. Fingers crossed for one more yr of no flu..
September 16th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, no. We don't do flu shots in our house. I would so much rather be sick (although that is unlikely, we are hardly sick). In regards to baby getting sick, I EBF and wear my littles so whatever germs they get exposed to, I'm exposed to too and my milk specially formulated for my baby will change and alter itself to protect them.
jmills1129 likes this.

September 16th, 2013, 10:57 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar Running Mamma
I will not get the flu shot. Never have.

When I was pregnant with #6, it was when everyone was freaking out about H1N1. I didnt get that shot either.

Brady('97)
Olivia('98)
Gavin('00)
Jaiden('03)
Gage('05)
Sloan('10)
Silas('11)
and 3 in my heart(3/13, 6/13 & 9/13)

Cautiously expecting our precious rainbow baby 02/18/15

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search