Would you describe yourself as crunchy? Or not at all?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 27th, 2013, 02:33 PM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't live in an area where people are "crunchy". The nearest Whole Foods is about an hour away. I do bf for 12-18months, co sleep for a year, baby wear and make my own baby food. Mainly I just do these things bc they work best for us.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
September 27th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
I don't think I'm very natural "crunchy". I do cloth diaper, but I will also use disposables here and there. I do Extend rear facing(my 2 yr old will be RF till the baby is born) I do delay solids till 6months or so and make baby food but usually just for a few months. I have never been successful at breast feeding, and I don't co sleep. I vaccinate on time and circ. so I'm a mixed bag I guess!!

September 27th, 2013, 05:46 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am super crunchy. Breastfeeding exclusively and extended, cosleep, delay solids (and delaying until 6 months isn't really delaying, that is when they are supposed to start eating solids, their gut isn't ready before that. We delayed until around 10-11 months), cloth diaper, hoping to homebirth this time, babywear but not exclusively, try to use homeopathy before medication, we do not vax (and for the comment about not vaccinating causes death, sometimes vaccinating itself causes death. It is a double edged sword and every parent is entitled to make the best choice for their family without being guilted by comments like that.) and we are very against circumcision. We are also vegetarians.
~mama2monkeys~ likes this.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

September 27th, 2013, 06:06 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im in between.. BF to a year (ish), make my own baby food, baby wear, co sleep.. I cloth diapered my oldest for 8 months and working full time it just did not work out. we vax on time, and ERF.. Oh and we circumcise.. I think that's it!

September 28th, 2013, 03:19 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
We co-slept and bf to 13 months but other than that we aren't very crunchy.

September 28th, 2013, 02:54 PM
Veteran
I'm not at all! I formula fed, didn't baby wear (mostly because my son hated being in it more than 10 minutes) and don't generally but organic due to our budget. He was forward facing at a year. I'm not having him backwards until he's 3 We circumsized and will do so again if it is a boy. We also do all vaccinations. I'm just not a natural person I guess. I guess i would be the opposite of crunchy! After reading the comments i think i may be the least "crunchy" here! But I will try breast feeding again and make our baby food again too.
bella88 and NurseMommy19 like this.

**Thank you, bokkechick, for my beautiful signature!**

Last edited by dmarie84; September 28th, 2013 at 03:06 PM.
September 28th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Super Mommy
Somewhat crunchy!!! Extended bf, made own baby food, spread vaccinations out, co-slept, babywear, eat mostly organic, use all non toxic/natural cleaning products, beauty products, etc.
We do not cloth diaper and we do circumcise.
TTC#1 for 1 1/2 years~ DS, DJ (3) Conceived naturally using acupuncture and herbs
TTC #2 for 1 1/2 yrs~DH(3 mths on Clomid&Olive Leaf Extract)
Our 1st Clomid & TI cycle August 2013 -BFP on 9/08/13!!!!!!!!

September 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Idk some people call me a hippie I would say I try to stay on the natural side

-I bf still going at 13months with my son want to make it till two so may be tandem nursing soon
- I also do baby led weaning (worked great for my son skipped straight to finger foods) if I do purée I make my own
- I baby wear
-I co sleep and bed share
-I cloth diaper but have also used disposables (ex right now while we are in a hotel between moving disposables)
-I extended rear face
- I delay solids till baby is ready my son wasn't ready till almost 10 months
-we try to eat organic but that doesn't always work
- we did get my son circed but if this one is a boy I would like to keep him intact
-we do vax (my husband is in the military and I feel that puts our family at increased risk for nasty exposure. My husbands dad was in the army and came home from a deployment with Tb once)
- I also like to exhaust all options before giving meds (kangaroo care ECT)

September 28th, 2013, 06:56 PM
bugz
I don't consider myself crunchy but other people probably would. I'm just going to do what feels right.

-I plan to breastfeed/pump until 2 years
-I will be cloth diapering (got BF to agree to it!!)
-I will be vaccinating
-I will not be circumcising
-I will be babywearing often

The only people I know that would consider me "crunchy" would be my BF's side of the family, because they did the opposite raising their boys, the big ones being no breastfeeding and disposables.
September 29th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The "mom labels" crack me up every time I do what works best for us and many of these evolved as I raised my son. I EBF/pumped until he self-weaned shortly after a year, ERF, didn't do CIO (but am not at all concerned when others do), primarily buy organic and more natural food/products, and pretty much carried/wore my son constantly when he was small, but he slept in his own crib from day 2, will receive all vaccinations on schedule, was circ'd, and I did not CD.

I plan to pretty much do the same thing with this one except maybe CD. I was intrigued by the idea with DS but no daycares in the area will do CD. This time I will be at home with the baby so I'm thinking about it again. DH is adamantly against the idea so I'm trying to decide if I feel strongly enough about it to "convince" him.

September 29th, 2013, 01:07 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have cloth diapered in the past
vax always on time.
we 50% co sleep
I baby wear when needed
I dont bf
RFing as long as possible...safer for those little necks in a collision.
we circ...but I"d rather not...I've done 3 semesters of nursing school and the worst thing I ever witnessed was 3 circumcisions.

September 30th, 2013, 02:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We are pretty crunchy. We co slept for the first 8 months, love baby wearing, cloth diapering, breastfeeding, BLW and extended rear facing. No spanking will be used in our household. We won't circ our son but that is also just because most European men aren't circ'd so it isn't even crunchy in Germany...it's actually conventional. DH wants to delay vaccinations until DD is in preschool because his cousin died after one...I wouldn't have a problem with vaccinating her earlier than that but I'm respecting his decision.

The only thing we did that was not crunchy was sleep training around 9 months. We didn't do CIO though. I had her in the crib and stayed there with her till she fell asleep and gradually cut down the time I spent in the room. She never actually cried so I think it was pretty gentle but I'm sure would still be considered sleep training by some. Boy did her going down on her own and sttn change our lives though! No regrets there at all.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; September 30th, 2013 at 02:10 PM.
October 3rd, 2013, 11:40 PM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't consider myself crunchy or otherwise, but I do co-sleep, I vax, except for the flu, I baby wear, I made all of Ava's baby food, with Aria I got lazy, I don't CIO because it doesn't work for me, I love CD but I stopped with Aria because I couldn't get rid of the yeast! I am going to give it a shot with this baby though. Ummm, I ERF, but with Ava, I couldn't because she hit the 40lbs limit when she was just about 3. Oh, and I EBF.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

October 4th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I am very like minded, except we do baby led weaning, are against RIC, and we don't vax at all. I am in CA, too.

October 4th, 2013, 03:29 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Moderation in all things- extreme people who "only" eat organic (surprise they don't at my house) really irritate me. If I have to hear about people's kids who only eat organic food one more time...I co sleep and sometimes baby wear/ I hope to breast feed (hadn't worked yet :/). I selective/delay vax. I considered a midwife/home birth for this delivery and then ended up choosing my OB because I love him and I'll deal with the rest :/ I don't CD (and don't want to. I do try to buy and eat as natural as possible but right now that isn't happening (thank you morning sickness-wah). I make my own laundry detergent. And, that's about it. I was much more interested in being all natural until I ended up pregnant again- now I just want to keep us all alive until the morning sickness passes...
October 5th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the bottom line is everyone does the best they can. =)

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
October 5th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Regular
I don't consider myself crunchy at all. I breast feed as long as possible, co-sleep(my almost 3 yr old is in my bed), extended rear facing( I'm a certified carseat installer and have seen the amazing results with having them rear facing longer), will get vaccines on our own time, right before school, definitely not when their babies, I will have an epidural( I'm a labor/delivery nurse, no reason to be in pain and I actually get to enjoy the moment of birth-just my opinion) and will circ if this is a boy because hubby wants it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search