Would you describe yourself as crunchy? Or not at all?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2013, 08:52 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
After living in North Cali for the last 3 years, I have become fairly "crunchy" as my friends say. I do things I would have NEVER thought! I co-sleep, I delayed solids, we ERF, and Extended BF. I also try to use as natural as products as possible. I cloth diaper, babywear, and am vehemently against CIO. I also will be selective delaying vaxes.

Anyone else like minded? (Dear God, I hope so !)
Del4 and JillMama like this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
September 26th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Nope, not at all!

Last edited by Lovemy3girls; September 27th, 2013 at 08:32 AM.
September 26th, 2013, 11:27 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Seattle is very crunchy. I however am not. DD got all her vax on time, I bf until she was 16 months, I do baby wear, we do use cloth diapers and we do co-sleep. Now before u say, I sound pretty crunchy... I only wanted to bf till 6 months, I dunno what happened... I wear her because she brings me the lillebaby carrier, I only CD when we are low on diapers or working on PT and we co-sleep because she wouldn't let me sleep through the night any other way.

For the new LO I do plan on being less crunchy, only because two full time all over u babies is hard when u are a sahm. No arguements please. =]
September 26th, 2013, 11:56 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
I don't necessarily consider myself "crunchy"....I just do what I feel is right and go with it. My DH does call me a hippie but he did that long before we had kids. Regarding a lot of the hot topics.....

- I cloth diaper
- I babywear
- I don't vaccinate
- I delay solids til 6 months and plan on making my own food this time
- I do not co-sleep
- I do not extended rear face carseats. In my 14 years of experience (7 as an EMT) I have seen it is less about the position of the carseat and more about how well the child is secured into that carseat
- I tried to BF for a year but only made it to 12 weeks and 6 months of pumping (not for lack of trying)
- If it's a boy, we will circ because I have left that choice up to my DH

I don't think all of that combined makes me very "crunchy" but maybe I am. I just do what I do and like to let other people do what they do.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!

Last edited by peace.love.audrey; September 27th, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
September 27th, 2013, 12:07 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I extend breast feed. I co sleep. I baby wear sometimes. I am extending rear facing with my youngest but didn't with my older kids. I cloth diaper. I use vinegar and hydrogen peroxide and baking soda to clean everything. I make my own laundry detergent. But we do vaccinate on time and circumcise our boys.

Scarlett Diane

September 27th, 2013, 01:37 AM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't consider myself crunchy but I would like to CD, baby wear and would like to breastfeed for at least a year, maybe a year and a half and wouldn't circumcise unless it became medically necessary. Very big on vaccines being received and on time though. Not that I'm a mum yet lol. If my diet and exercise regime has been anything to go on I am pretty dodgy already .
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

September 27th, 2013, 04:14 AM
emilyeeb's Avatar Veteran
I think the term "crunchy" is so funny. This is the only place I have ever heard it used to describe anything other than my favorite kind of peanut butter.

I don't know that I fit in the crunchy category. All I know, is that every decision we make as mothers, is individual and based on what we think is best for our little darlings. Before I became a mother, I had a completely different idea of what kind of mother I was going to be. Then reality hit.
I ended up co-sleeping with my daughter until she was 9 months. My husband came home from a deployment after that and he wakes up abruptly and can pull the covers from me in his sleep, so it really wasn't safe any more. I still breastfeed my 15 month old and I didn't introduce solids until around 8 months old. Personally, there is no way I would delay vaccinations. Studies have shown the common cold is more body-taxing than a bundle of high powered vaccines. I don't baby wear. But I am not opposed to it. I would have more when she was younger. I am currently doing a "hands-off" approach with my daughter. I try to foster independent play and at times I make myself unavailable so she learns coping mechanisms. If she looks like she will fall but not get hurt really, I will let her. If she can't do something, I let her figure it out on her own to an extent.

Ok sorry for being so long-winded. It feels good to self reflect on what I am doing as a mother.
September 27th, 2013, 04:26 AM
talscot's Avatar Veteran
I cosleep. I breastfeed but not extended or even a full year. I do extend rearfacing. Studies have shown it is safer. I don't babywear. I do shots one at a time when they are little. And I don't circumsize.

Last edited by talscot; September 27th, 2013 at 04:29 AM.
September 27th, 2013, 04:55 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
People say I fit into it because I've home birthed, cloth diapered, breastfed (but I struggle with a condition for this), we extended rear faced, I baby wear, we co-sleep, i make our own baby food, I delay vaccinations. ETA: We also don't circ

I will do all that again with this baby, minus the home birth. Which I'm still sad about. But my family and my husbands family thinks we're nuts for doing what we do haha.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Last edited by inyourhonor; September 27th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.
September 27th, 2013, 05:44 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't think I'll be considered crunchy. Vaccines will be had on time, I don't plan to cloth diaper (had to do it for a child at a daycare I worked at and it is just not for me), I plan to breastfeed for the first year, I'll be making my own baby food (super excited about that since we'll have that Baby Bullet thing), and I'll probably baby wear a little bit. As for co-sleeping, I don't plan to do it. No one in my family has done it (at least instate family) and I more than likely won't either. My mom always told me from a super young age, 'You have your own room!' Can't say she told me that as a baby, but I'm sure she's got a reason for it (:
September 27th, 2013, 06:15 AM
~mama2monkeys~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~mama2monkeys~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~mama2monkeys~
I guess I'm on the "crunchy" side. We do most of the things that are considered crunchy..... but everything in moderation, right? We are actually, I guess you could say, eclectic in our parenting. What do what we feel is right for us and our children. We EBF, cosleep until baby is ready to go to their own bed (this has been different for all of our kids!), Extended rearfacing, babywear (although I'm totally not opposed to a stroller!), We did CIO with our oldest, but haven't with the others (we respond to them, definitely when they are crying in a panic, but with 4 kids, sometimes I just can't get to them right away if it isn't an emergent cry). We eat as locally and organically as we can and can afford to. And, we do not vax. We vaxed our first, but none of the others have had any.
I'm Carrie, wife to Micah (10/11/03) and mommy to 4 little monkeys! Jonah (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04-05-07) Finlay (09-17-09) Abram (10-28-11)and Baby #5, Baby Boy, Due May 2014!

September 27th, 2013, 06:31 AM
Sheila
I would probably fall in between. I breastfeed on demand until they are over a year (DS 17mo, DS 14 1/2 mo, DD 16 mo, and DS 22 mo) I let them wean naturally, but for each of them it has happened when I decided to cut them off during the night. I also co-sleep (it is the ONLY way I can get sleep. I don't like to get out of bed to feed the baby. ) I do have an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper which is AWESOME though. They usually sleep in our room until they are 1 1/2 or 2 and we still allow them to sleep in our bed in the middle of the night.
We also delay solids until at least 6 months. I make some baby food and buy some. Just whatever works.
I CD on and off, to save money, and make my own laundry soap for the same reason. I also homeschool (which this sends my entire family over the edge and makes them all think I am absolutely crazy!)
I do delay vaccines and opt out of some of them all together.
However, I don't shop at Whole Foods, and I don't cringe if my family has a frozen meal or a hotdog, or McDonalds, etc.... Actually we have these things more than I care to admit, although I do usually try to cook healthy. But we don't buy organic or anything either.
I'm sure there are plenty more things I do that someone who is truly "crunchy" would shudder over. But I think that every family, every mother has to do whatever they feel is best for them. Doing things the easy way keeps me sane sometimes! And sanity is VERY important, especially when it comes to surviving those early years.
Anyway, I'll stop rambling now
~mama2monkeys~ likes this.
baby #5 05/16/13

Make a pregnancy ticker
September 27th, 2013, 06:36 AM
~mama2monkeys~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~mama2monkeys~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~mama2monkeys~
Quote:
Originally Posted by xagamama View Post
I would probably fall in between. I breastfeed on demand until they are over a year (DS 17mo, DS 14 1/2 mo, DD 16 mo, and DS 22 mo) I let them wean naturally, but for each of them it has happened when I decided to cut them off during the night. I also co-sleep (it is the ONLY way I can get sleep. I don't like to get out of bed to feed the baby. ) I do have an Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper which is AWESOME though. They usually sleep in our room until they are 1 1/2 or 2 and we still allow them to sleep in our bed in the middle of the night.
We also delay solids until at least 6 months. I make some baby food and buy some. Just whatever works.
I CD on and off, to save money, and make my own laundry soap for the same reason. I also homeschool (which this sends my entire family over the edge and makes them all think I am absolutely crazy!)
I do delay vaccines and opt out of some of them all together.
However, I don't shop at Whole Foods, and I don't cringe if my family has a frozen meal or a hotdog, or McDonalds, etc.... Actually we have these things more than I care to admit, although I do usually try to cook healthy. But we don't buy organic or anything either.
I'm sure there are plenty more things I do that someone who is truly "crunchy" would shudder over. But I think that every family, every mother has to do whatever they feel is best for them. Doing things the easy way keeps me sane sometimes! And sanity is VERY important, especially when it comes to surviving those early years.
Anyway, I'll stop rambling now
We are very much the same! You gotta do what you have to for the sanity. Our little ones are very close in age
xagamama likes this.
I'm Carrie, wife to Micah (10/11/03) and mommy to 4 little monkeys! Jonah (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04-05-07) Finlay (09-17-09) Abram (10-28-11)and Baby #5, Baby Boy, Due May 2014!

September 27th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i dunno about crunchy but i think i try to be an natural as possible.

I breastfed and pumped, made all my own baby food, we co slept till my little guy was 3 years old, I used cloth diapers... He is 6 and still no vaccines.... it goes on. I dont really think it being crunchy I think its just the way things should be lol

September 27th, 2013, 08:01 AM
Veteran
Never really thought about it but I am super crunchy! Try keep things as natural as possible!

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
September 27th, 2013, 08:14 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
This will be my first child, so I haven't yet decided on a lot of what the other ladies have mentioned. I do plan on breastfeeding for as long as possible, although I will be working outside of the home at least part-time.

I am very pro-vaccine and am planning on sticking with the vac schedule. Not something I want to mess around with.
bella88 and NurseMommy19 like this.
September 27th, 2013, 09:26 AM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
I would say I am not crunchy.

I always do vaccinations on time. I do not use cloth diapers. I do baby wear. I only rear face until they are too long for the seat. (We turned our DS around when he was 13 months because he had to sit criss-cross and I felt that was unsafe).. We did co-sleep until he was 5 months but I was adamantly against it until he was born.

September 27th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyeeb View Post
All I know, is that every decision we make as mothers, is individual and based on what we think is best for our little darlings. Before I became a mother, I had a completely different idea of what kind of mother I was going to be. Then reality hit.
This exactly! I don't really believe in following one particular "philosophy"--you have to do what feels right for your kid at your family at the time, and it's so hard to predict.

After a great deal of debate, my son did not get a circ. We coslept until about 6 months and it worked beautifully for us. I'm still breastfeeding my almost two year old, which I would NEVER have predicted, but here we are. My mom gave him his first solid food to try (a pickle!) at four months and we started gradually from there. I've never really made baby food or anything like that--we did Gerber from a jar and his current favorite food is hot dogs sooooo . . . not crunchy at all on that one. Baby carriers are awesome but my son walked early and hasn't really been into them after that. I LOVE cloth diapers. I thought I would never in a million years do CIO but ultimately I did it (please don't judge me, I still have mixed feelings but I know it was right for him and us, and hard as it was, it wasn't as bad as I expected).

The one thing I find totally non negotiable is vaccines. Delay is fine, but skipping them altogether causes unnecessary deaths, period.
September 27th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Regular
I cracked a smile at crunchy lol Reminds me of when my friend's teenage son got in trouble and she said "he's feeling crunch" because he was walking around sulking lol
To answer your question I'm not sure how I'd describe myself. I'd like to do a few things differently the 2nd time around such as trying cloth diapers, nursing til baby is 2 or 3 (daughter weened at 19 mos). There's other things I'd like to do as well
September 27th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh yay! I have a MA in Human behavior, so I am somewhat crazy about research and stuff like that. I believe in vaxxing, and my son is fully vaxed except for mmr. He is very small. He just hit 20 lbs and he is 18 months. He had a reaction to the last dtap so we will just do one a time for the next baby. That's also why we will rf for a long time. It's 500% safer. I have been in 3 major car accidents so I don't play with that stuff. The accidents have left me with 4 herniated disks. But on the flip side- I never really wore a seatbelt as a kid until I was like 10. My mom has me in a basket! Ha! so go figure. My friends make fun of me back in Fort Lauderdale.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search