Hospital?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 06:13 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't decided which hospital I want to go to. Since we can't do our home birth, I need to get this figured out.

I have an appointment on the 9th with a local OB that delivers at the hospital that is 10 minutes from my house, but I have no experience with that hospital other than the ER from a few weeks ago.

Now, I could drive to Ann Arbor (about 30 minutes from me) and go to U of M, where I had my first son. But that would mean driving about 20 minutes to the city I'm from to see an OB because the Dr's by me don't deliver at that hospital. They move east towards Detroit, I'd be going West/South towards Ann Arbor.

Would you go with the unknown, or would you take the little extra drive (all highway) to go with what you do know, even if it's been 8 years?

My husband wants us to go to U of M. I'm a bit torn between the convenience of the other hospitals location or what I know is a good hospital (Despite how my last labor there went).

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 3rd, 2013, 07:53 AM
MrsPalumbo's Avatar Super Mommy
**Lurking from April 2014 DDC. EDD is 4-29-13, so we could very well end up here!**

I would go to whichever one has the best NICU. In case anything happens, you want the best you can get in your area. We chose our hospital and then found an OB that is affiliated with it.

My cousin had undiagnosed gestational diabetes (passed the sugar test by 1 point and they didn't retest her). Her son came out over 8lbs but had to be rushed to a different hospital with a better equipped NICU hours after birth when he her husband noticed he wasn't breathing well. He wound up going into respiratory distress. They would not transfer her with the baby because there was "no medical need" for her transfer. She wound up signed out AMA 11 hours after giving birth. Such a nightmare. She's had 2 sons since then and both were born at the hosptial with the best NICU even though it was 45 mins from her home.

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best. You just never know!! Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Cheet_oh likes this.

Last edited by MrsPalumbo; October 3rd, 2013 at 07:55 AM.
October 3rd, 2013, 08:08 AM
A big concern is how quickly my last labor went. Once I hit hard labor, I could not move and I'm afraid of that happening this time since I won't have a midwife to come to me. That's the only drawback to going to U of M.

Killian's Birth Story
October 3rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Can you not have a midwife in a hospital there?

October 3rd, 2013, 08:41 AM
I can, but I've had issues with them taking me given my previous c-section. I have yet to find a CNM office. I've been looking though!

Killian's Birth Story
October 3rd, 2013, 08:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would look into that option more before you decide. There has got to be one that will take you if you are delivering in a hospital.
Cheet_oh and anjewellove like this.

October 3rd, 2013, 09:30 AM
That is the reason why I turned to home birthing my 2nd and 3rd boys, because a CNM said SHE would take me, but the backing OB would not because I wanted a VBAC.

I now have a proven pelvis, but I haven't found a local CNM to the hospital by me so far. I'm unsure if they will still give me the same trouble. They themselves would, it was the OB.

It's not exactly the caregiver. I am unsure of the hospital. I don't know anyone who's delivered there and can really only go based off their website. I have delivered at the other hospital. The drive is a little bit more and I know exactly which OB's office I'd go to.

I'm searching around for a midwife right now while I wait for a call back about my oldest sons health issue. Figure, I have time to kill, might as well look around.

Killian's Birth Story
October 3rd, 2013, 09:39 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could your tour the birthing center at the closer hospital? Last time we used a midwife and delivered 35min away and it really was a pain. We had our birthing class at the hospital near our house and had no idea how amazing it was. Then I went online looking at the midwives there and heard great things. So this time we're switching to the closer hospital despite LOVING our other midwife and hospital experience.
anjewellove likes this.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 3rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm with JillMama. Take a tour of the closer hospital. Ask a lot of questions. I went to 4 hospital tours(I also wanted a homebirth but couldn't afford other with a midwife. They run $4-6k here and aren't covered my insurance) the choice was easy. The hospital we chose had a completely different feel than the other 3.

Is there a fb sales page for your area? Ask moms there! I'm sure at least a couple will comment on their experience with the hospital.
October 3rd, 2013, 10:18 AM
I asked on my FB and my SIL said a friend of her's had her twins there and loved it.

Forgive me as it's been almost 8 years since I've dealt with a hospital and birth, I thought I had to wait till I was closer to my due date to set up a tour? I remember at the other hospital, I had to wait till I was at least half way through. But then again, that was 8 years ago (oh geesh, my kid's almost 8!).

I'll give them a call and see if I can. That was something I hadn't thought of

Killian's Birth Story
October 3rd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
There is a hospital 10 minutes from me. But because of my anxiety issues I chose to go to the one 30/40 minutes away because I delivered there last time (different dr though).

Scarlett Diane

October 3rd, 2013, 11:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
In Germany you pretty much never know who is going to deliver you. You see a ob/gyn for the prenatal appts and then go to your chosen hospital and most likely a midwife will deliver you there. I think it would be so cool to know who is going to deliver your baby beforehand. I have to look into it more but I'm pretty sure we will be going out of our way to go to a different hospital this time. I wasn't satisfied with the last hospital and I have found some interesting ones in Frankfurt that I want to check out. It could be an hour drive in traffic though.

October 3rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
When I delivered my second and third it was like that. I had to see whoever was at the base hospital. But the base I'm at now doesn't have a hospital so we pregnant chicks actually get to pick a dr

Scarlett Diane

October 3rd, 2013, 03:31 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
When I had my son, the closest hospital was 45 minute drive. I don't think it's that big of a deal to make the drive if you feel more comfortable being at the other hospital. I had to make that drive for all of my appointments and it wasn't a big deal to me. If I were going to be having my baby where I currently live I would also be seeing a doctor on hour and a half away at the only birth center around here. Our local hospital has horrible reviews and I would not go there. I think you just have to make due with whatever you feel better doing but a lot of people (like the people in this town) drive an hour plus to every appointment because our hospital is so bad.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 3rd, 2013, 07:22 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know lots of people who have had their babies at the U (i live 30 minutes on the other side of Ann Arbor-- ) and they've all loved the experience-- for ME, I don't want to drive that stretch of i-94 in the winter for appts cause I'd have to get a doc i Chelsea or Ann Arbor, and then when I'm in labor I REALLY don't want to have to be in the car that long to get there.. My cousin in law went into labor with her second, they started heading to the u and had to turn around and come back and she delievered within like 10 minutes of walking through the door here.. My sister lives in Grosse Pointe and delivered both of her babies at Bon Secours and had great experiences there too.. For me, I'd stick closer to home as long as it's a good hospital-- for me, U of M does have an amazing NICU, but my hospital has a great special care nursery and the u is a quick helicopter ride away! Good luck!

October 3rd, 2013, 07:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I second the idea of taking the tour. Our hospital has set times they do group tours and I found those very useful because often other people had questions I hadn't even thought of. Also if you know of (or could locate) anyone who does birthing classes in the area they often have a good feel for the experience at the hospitals. Our birthing class instructor was very frank about the pros/cons of our hospital which I really appreciated.

October 3rd, 2013, 08:31 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
We live less than a minute from our nearest hospital, but are choosing to drive to one 45 minutes away because we love that hospital so much! (Same one we had DS at)

October 3rd, 2013, 10:55 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
I would say if a homebirth is what you're after, fight for it! Don't even consider an Ob or hospital until you have to. What state are you in? Not all midwives have to be linked to an Ob, depending on the laws in your state.

October 4th, 2013, 07:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Del4 View Post
I would say if a homebirth is what you're after, fight for it! Don't even consider an Ob or hospital until you have to. What state are you in? Not all midwives have to be linked to an Ob, depending on the laws in your state.
A midwife is not financially possible right now. Had we still lived up north it would be a different story. We've gone over our budget and we just cannot pay that right now. The end of the year is a very very tight time of the year for us. I've had 2 successful home births with a wonderful midwife. I told my husband when we moved back downstate (where we both are from and had a better opportunity to getting back on our feet) that the only thing I would miss about being up north, is our midwife.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyjo View Post
I know lots of people who have had their babies at the U (i live 30 minutes on the other side of Ann Arbor-- ) and they've all loved the experience-- for ME, I don't want to drive that stretch of i-94 in the winter for appts cause I'd have to get a doc i Chelsea or Ann Arbor, and then when I'm in labor I REALLY don't want to have to be in the car that long to get there.. My cousin in law went into labor with her second, they started heading to the u and had to turn around and come back and she delievered within like 10 minutes of walking through the door here.. My sister lives in Grosse Pointe and delivered both of her babies at Bon Secours and had great experiences there too.. For me, I'd stick closer to home as long as it's a good hospital-- for me, U of M does have an amazing NICU, but my hospital has a great special care nursery and the u is a quick helicopter ride away! Good luck!
I'm from Brighton so I was a 16 minute ride from the hospital, straight down 23. Where I live now, I'd be going west on 96 to South on 23. My oldest was born in January and we were nervous about the weather but that kid came on a rainy day with the grass still showing haha.

I'm going to keep my appointment with the OB office I have now. I spoke with a friend who actually delivered there and had nothing bad to say. Although she couldn't answer some of my questions because her delivery went differently, but she was very helpful in what she could answer. So when I go to my appointment, I'm going to ask about the hospital, their procedures for patients, etc.

My SIL lives in Redford and recommended an OB office on the hospital grounds that her friend who had the twins recommended to her. She said they're great. So I'm going to see how this appointment goes and we'll go from there

I know I have time to change my mind. I just want to feel comfortable in the decision we make. And after my last labor, I'd really like to avoid any long car rides, especially knowing my luck, I'd hit rush hour and would be screwed haha.
ashleyjo likes this.

Killian's Birth Story
October 4th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh. I had no idea it was financial. I assumed it was due to being a VBAC. My apologies. Good luck figuring out what to do. I have no advice about hospitals.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search