10% more calories? Psshh....

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 10:01 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
I keep reading that when pregnant you really only need 10% more calories each day, the equivalent of a small snack.

Is anyone else totally above this right now? I have to eat often and more or I get sick!!
October 3rd, 2013, 10:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I eat a lot (I think). I think I read it should be 300 extra calories but because I am controlling my diabetes so well I inevitably am ending up with more low blood sugars so I have to eat, even if I don't want to. It sucks. Last pregnancy I must have gained at least like 50 pounds but it came off really easily, didn't even have to try so I'm not worried. Just listen to your body, I think that is most important.

October 3rd, 2013, 10:46 AM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Are you kidding me?! I'm breast feeding and pregnant. I'm HUNGRY!! And eating a ton. Lol

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 3rd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I am not counting calories at all.

I have to snack all day because it helps keep be from being sick BUT I very rarely eat a large amount or a meal all at once. If I eat too much at once I feel sick for so long after wards. I have no clue if that evens it out or if I'm over because of the snacks.

October 3rd, 2013, 11:07 AM
I'm definitely not calorie counting, either. I wasn't before getting pregnant, so I have no idea how much I'm over!

Jillmama, no wonder! You have every reason to eat a lot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
Just listen to your body, I think that is most important.
Agreed. My freakin' husband is nagging me about doing yoga or walk or start doing something. He's not used to me not exercising (heck, neither am I). It's driving me crazy though.
October 3rd, 2013, 11:14 AM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
I have always been told about 300 extra calories. I don't really count, I do try to count my carbs though, trying hard to keep those down. I will end up with diabetes as I have with my last 2, so I am enjoying have some sweets while I can.

October 3rd, 2013, 11:15 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely over ate with my 2 other kids. I just ate and ate. I gained 65lbs with both of them and then had to work so freaking hard to get it off. With each of them I had gained 10-12lbs by the end of the first trimester.

I'm probably the minority but I still count my calories and I'm walking every night. I'm trying really hard to gain a normal amount of weight this time. My goal is 30lbs or less. Right now I'm not eating anymore calories than I was before.
208mama likes this.

October 3rd, 2013, 11:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Camm how much have you gained so far? Im up 5lbs already and holding but Im so scared

I gained 60 with my first pregnancy and I kept 10lb of it. I really want to exercise and stuff this time but this MS has jsut been kicking my *** so badly. By the time we get home and I and force myself to eat, I have to pass out. My goal was to swim laps at the pool a few times a week. We even bought the family pass..... ugh

October 3rd, 2013, 12:02 PM
It fluctuates day to day but 1-3lbs.
I had lost about 4lbs right before I got pregnant ( I was going away for a girls weekend) so I've pretty much just settled back into my normal weight.

October 3rd, 2013, 12:07 PM
I'm hoping to stay at this weight until first trimester and then I'm ok with the whole 1lb a week gain which is normal. With my son the weight came off pretty easy but he was 9lbs 12.2 oz and 22 inches...a lot of baby... my daughter I still had 10lbs of baby weight and then my eating habits were GROSS. Fast food all the time...I never restrained myself...I ate whatever I wanted and how much I wanted. It took weeks to even lose 20lbs...the weight wanted to stay on and its because it was not from pregnancy..it was from over eating =(

Im hoping Ive learned my lesson!!

October 3rd, 2013, 12:36 PM
JillMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Camm, last time I gained 9 lbs by my 9w appt. LOL! Oops. Then I didn't gain for several weeks.

Jett 10/11/12 7lb 14.5oz 20.5in long
October 3rd, 2013, 01:07 PM
I am trying sooo hard not to go crazy with food, but it's so hard when all I want is salty goodness and buttery goodness and cheese....Ohhhh the cheese....

October 3rd, 2013, 01:09 PM
my weakness is sweets....

October 3rd, 2013, 01:10 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read somewhere that its 100 extra calories in trimester 1 and 300 in 2 and 3 but I am eating more than an extra 100 and losing weight still so it sounds like a load of crap to me. Of course, puking up my dinner last night probably didn't help .

October 3rd, 2013, 02:20 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
I haven't gained anything yet, but I am having a hard time eating well. I haven't been cooking nearly as often as normal and quick snacks have been my life. I am starting a bit overweight so I'm trying to stay around 15-20 pounds total. Last time I gained about 55 pounds but only lost 15 of that after my son was born. Since I obviously have a crappy metabolism I'm really trying to be active and eat good when I can. I hope it gets easier when I get energy back lol

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 3rd, 2013, 02:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I got knocked up on the honeymoon and we ate like crazy people the whole time. so when I came back I was already weighing a couple lbs more than I should of. depresses me. I have been holding strong at the same weight since 5-6 weeks though so thats kinda good i guess.

October 3rd, 2013, 03:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
FWIW I'm roughly following the Brewer pregnancy diet (supposed to help prevent pre-e...it's basically a high protein diet) and that says on average women who have done that diet gain 35-45lbs...also says you should eat salt to taste and eat quite a few cals (can't remember how many) so it in some ways is opposite of what conventional medicine says. From reading about the Brewer diet I believe gaining 45 or more pounds isn't a concern, as long as it is coming from healthy sources and not processed foods or sodas. Worked for me last time (didn't get pre-e) and I was at high risk for getting it with type I diabetes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post
I am trying sooo hard not to go crazy with food, but it's so hard when all I want is salty goodness and buttery goodness and cheese....Ohhhh the cheese....

haha I ate A LOT of cheese with my daughter! IMO that's not a bad thing...certainly better than eating sweets because at least you are getting protein and calcium.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; October 3rd, 2013 at 03:30 PM.
October 3rd, 2013, 04:34 PM
Crafty Mommy
Um yeah, after the State Fair yesterday....I don't even want to talk calories. Anybody been to the State Fair of Texas?

Hormones and I don't do well together as I puff up like a balloon with period, ovulation, and pregnancy already, so add in some extra calories, deep fried goodness, and sodium, and it's not a pretty picture. Wish I could detox or do a cleanse. So I guess it's lots of water and salad/fruit/yogurt to get back on track for the next few days!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JillMama View Post
Camm, last time I gained 9 lbs by my 9w appt. LOL! Oops. Then I didn't gain for several weeks.
Me too! Trying not to do that again!

October 3rd, 2013, 05:31 PM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I gained 75 with my first and this pregnancy all I want is bread. I can't stop eating bread. Ahhh!

October 3rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
emilyeeb's Avatar Veteran
With my first pregnancy, I ate a lot of healthy things in addition to a lot of sweets..particularly fine dark chocolates and not so fine donuts. I ended up only gaining about 25 lbs...she was 10 days late and the last week I gained 2 additional lbs. I never calorie counted, just ate when I was hungry and when I wanted to indulge, I did. Sometimes, it has less to do with the calories and more to do with the type of pregnancy. This time, I am still breastfeeding and I can feel myself get low blood sugar A LOT throughout the day. I am afraid to get on the scale but I am only 6 weeks and I am sure I put on a few lbs already. whoopsie

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search