Vaccinations

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree26Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 5th, 2013, 05:09 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
One newer vax I don't understand is chicken pox. My brother and I had it and it wasn't that bad.

October 5th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2014 View Post
One newer vax I don't understand is chicken pox. My brother and I had it and it wasn't that bad.

chicken pox was going around my sons daycare last fall and I was excited that he might get it lol Not because i want him sick but because if he had got it last year he would have only missed a bit of kindergarten instead of later on missing school and having homework to catch up on and stuff. Alas my healthy child was one of the few who didnt get it

October 5th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Beeker's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think some vaccinations have a purpose. I do not understand why a newborn needs Hep B! The ingredients are what is scary. I would encourage all people before they inject something to really look at the ingredients. We will space out and delay. We might follow the Dr Sears schedule, haven't decided yet. I can;t see how little tiny babies need 5 vaxes at once! I did it with Cam and will do it differently this time.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!!
October 5th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Super Mommy
I spend a lot of time worrying about the effects of large numbers of people choosing not to vaccinate for things like measles and polio. These are terrible diseases and when we start becoming more concerned about the vaccines than about these deadly diseases our kids are in trouble.

My father is a doctor. My best friend from college is a pediatrician. My mother is a professor who studies infectious disease. My uncle spent his lifetime deaf due to childhood measles at age 3.

Still, I know I'm just a stranger on the internet so there is no reason anyone should value my opinion over anyone else's. This is such a hot topic because *obviously* we all want to do what is best and safest for our children and it feels terrible to have our decisions questioned by others. So I just want to urge all of you who are at all unsure about this issue to talk to a pediatrician (or better yet a few of them), and not rely on things you find online. That way you can make your own decision with the best possible information. There is so much bad information on this subject on the internet it is unbelievable.
amylynn82 likes this.
October 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
208mama's Avatar Veteran
I love when my mama bear comes out. I am generally an easy going pushover, but when it has to do with my kids... grrr!

I agree it's a personal decision and should be left that way. I hate when I am at a doctor's office and express my concerns and hesitations about vaccinations, and they make me feel SO DUMB. It's like they instantly pass judgment and it makes me feel like they're trying to make me feel like a bad mom. However, I live in Idaho- one of the most conservative states in the US, so I'm sure it varies by state.

My son was vaccinated for chicken pox and he still got a mild case. We never do flu shots and they are healthier through the winter than the average child. I hope SO and I can come to an agreement on where we stand. Very interested in looking more into delaying..

Tyler Jean:9 Jamisen Ryan: 6 Jaxyn Lily: 7

Isla Elizabeth - 4/28/14
October 5th, 2013, 03:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB2014 View Post
Lurking from the TTC board but I just wanted to chime in here on this. Chicken Pox is not the same as it was when we were kids...it has mutated. It can cause kids to get pneumonia and other complications and they can die from it. My DS had pneumonia twice when he was 3 and when he was 5 he was diagnosed with asthma and his pediatrician recommended he get the chicken pox vaccine because he was at a higher risk of developing complications from it. He got the vaccine as well as my DD and they both ended up getting a mild case of chicken pox.

I also worked at a school a few years ago and we had a few students there who had cancer...and all parents had to show proof that their child had either had chicken pox or had had the chicken pox vaccination because these students could not be around someone who had it or any other kind of illness because of their immunity being compromised from their chemo treatments.

My Ovulation Chart
October 5th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Super Mommy
Another point on chicken pox--find some old people you know and ask them about shingles. It is the reappearance of the virus that causes chicken pox later in life, and it happens to about half of people who get the virus as kids.

And please God let me not be one of that 50% who get shingles because it sounds very, very painful. I'm glad my kids will be protected from it.
October 5th, 2013, 04:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We delay vaccines and won't be doing some at all such as chicken pox and hepatitis. When the kids are 18 they can decide for themselves if they want those. Dh had a cousin die after a vax so if he had it his way we wouldn't vax at all...our compromise will be to wait until she is around other kids in preschool. Fwiw my niece had whooping cough and was vaccinated.At 20 months dd has had no vaccinations and has yet to even develop a fever...knock on wood! Now it will prob happen! Lol if she were in day care she would have some vaccines but right now her exposure is pretty low.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; October 5th, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
October 5th, 2013, 04:31 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Chickenpox (Varicella) Vaccine Creates Shingles Epidemic

October 5th, 2013, 05:10 PM
Super Mommy
That is exactly the kind of misleadingly incomplete information that is all over the internet, which is why parents who are concerned about this issue should discuss it with physicians and not rely on scary things they find online. But for those who do want to google, there's plenty out there refuting the idea that the chicken pox vaccine has caused an increase in shingles. It's so hard to tell the difference between legitimate science and quackery in an internet article.

The chicken pox vaccine is a more difficult one to persuade people on, and as an internet random person, I'm obviously in no place to even try. But polio. Measles. Pertussis. These things are no joke.
amylynn82 likes this.
October 5th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Just curious, How is it incomplete?

I worked in a clinic and have been to so many rep lunch meetings where we are pushed to SELL SELL SELL..... I do not trust vaccines because the people making them do not have our best interests at heart... they are only thinking money. Again, Im not saying Im against all vaccines but I have a general mistrust of which are actually needed and which actually work. I know for a fact people are mislead into thinking some vaccines work better than they actually do.

Last edited by Nel; October 5th, 2013 at 05:31 PM.
October 5th, 2013, 06:08 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my first son I was on the fence...but one of the women in my sons play room is a virologist...research scientist...and for me at least... I trust what she says. Medicine is always going to be a money making business...its no different than any other aspect of our lives. I think everyone has to be careful about using the internet as their only source of information in regards to vaccinate or not vaccinate.

If you are on the fence you should consult with several doctors who are for or against..neutral ..ect. Both sides use scare tactics which makes it hard to make an informed decision.

I think every generation picks a hot button topic in regards to parenting...it used to be spanking..formula...and now its vaccines. We all do what we think is best.

October 5th, 2013, 07:39 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
Just curious, How is it incomplete?
It treats two things associated in time (chicken pox vaccine, increase in shingles) as having a cause-effect relationship but that has not been established. The article omits a lot of relevant facts and has a heavy anti-vaccine bias. Shingles rates started their increase a few years BEFORE the chicken pox vaccine was implemented. There is not a higher rate of shingles in states where chicken pox vaccine rates are lower, which you would expect if one caused the other. Rates are similar across states. It's likely or at least very possible that shingles reporting rates are going up just because the elderly population is going up. Nobody knows yet whether the link described in your article is legit.

But even if chicken pox vaccines have caused an increase in shingles, who cares? I for one am not going to base my decision on whether to vaccinate my child for chicken pox on the possibility that him having chicken pox might benefit old people he meets. I'm concerned about HIS health. And I am convinced that the best way to prevent him getting chicken pox (including the rare but life-threatening complications mentioned above) and to prevent him from getting shingles is to get him vaccinated. Again though, this particular illness is not one of my big concerns because there are so many that are so much worse.

I don't trust big pharma either. I do trust the judgment and professional training of my parents, my close friends who are doctors, and my son's pediatrician. Once again, I am not trying to malign anyone's choices. I am very certain that everyone is doing the very best they can for their own kids on this. I just want to encourage people to seek out trustworthy sources of information and on this subject, and a lot of the stuff online does not qualify.
October 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
I think we as mothers tend to be very judgmental, even if we arnt trying to be. We all just need to do whats right for our own families. I Vax on time and on schedule. My kids have never had bad reactions and are 3 of the heathy kids I know.
*CAMM* likes this.

October 13th, 2013, 04:41 PM
amylynn82's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by acmd03 View Post
You ladies have some great points! I've heard the guilt trip many times about unvaccinated kids making vaccinated kids sick. And that's all it is, a guilt trip.
I personally have never heard this complaint. I do however understand the concern of parents (people in general) whom are UNable to vaccinate due to being too young for a certain vaccine, having a compromised immune system, etc. These people have valid concerns. It takes herd immunity to give them their best chance at not getting sick. Unfortunately, herd immunity is slowly becoming a thing of the past.
October 13th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn82 View Post
I personally have never heard this complaint. I do however understand the concern of parents (people in general) whom are UNable to vaccinate due to being too young for a certain vaccine, having a compromised immune system, etc. These people have valid concerns. It takes herd immunity to give them their best chance at not getting sick. Unfortunately, herd immunity is slowly becoming a thing of the past.
Herd immunity was becoming a thing of the past long before parents were choosing not to vaccinate. Kids who were forced into vaccinations turned 18, lost their health insurance or just skipped the doctor all together. Before I had DS the last vaccine I had must have been ten years prior... Seriously, how many adults do you know that keep their shots up to date? I just think the whole herd immunity idea is kind of a joke... Maybe herd immunity in public schools, maybe. But grocery stores? Department stores? Amusement parks? Restaraunts? I wouldn't believe even half of those people (including the children) are 100% up to date on their vaccinations.

My cousin-in-law's sister was super "Don't come around my baby unless you have the pertussis vaccination!!" but when I saw them recently at my cousin-in-law's baby birthing, she was letting her kid crawl around the floor of the hospital. *headdesk* People go to a hospital when they are SICK. It is like pertussis ground zero in every city and she let her kid be all over the floor?! I just shook my head...

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Last edited by Tree_Love; October 13th, 2013 at 06:21 PM.
October 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM
As for us, we do not vaccinate. My kid had a reaction at 2 months and I researched it on the legitimate websites (CDC, FDA, AAP) and discovered things I hadn't known before. I compared the risks of the disease to the risks of the reactions and the rates of the disease instance to the reaction rate, which was something we had already experienced. I checked out the ingredients and read what they could do, I looked at vaccine inserts. At his next pedi appointment I went over it all with his pediatrician and she agreed we shouldn't vaccinate him further until he was at least a year old. By the next appointment I was definitely against them and just told her to make a note we wouldn't be getting any more. She sided with me and that was that. I won't be doing any for this baby. I really don't care what other people do for vaccinations, just don't yell at me that I didn't do my research or that I am hurting my kid or your kid. I did hurt my kid by vaccinating him, so we chose to stop that. Vaccinated kids can be disease carriers just as unvaccinated kids can. And please, for the love of everything do not spew misinformation at me (like that vaccines are 100% effective for everyone and reactions never happen) or assume I don't want my kid to have autism as my reasoning. I didn't read some hippie blog and end up here and I am not ignorant.

On a different note, I think vaccinations are a wonderful idea! Unfortunately one that has been executed poorly. If I could find a naturopath with "green vaccines" that are administered orally, I would likely choose to have my son (possibly myself) receive them. I don't live in fairy land and believe scary diseases don't exist here, we just live cautiously and take care of our bodies so they are in the best shape to fight a disease. (Okay, I make my kid take care of his body, I am working on mine... )
Del4 likes this.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

October 13th, 2013, 06:52 PM
amylynn82's Avatar Veteran
I don't think herd immunity is a joke...smallpox, polio, measles!
There has always been a percentage of people not vaccinated. Herd immunity is what protects a majority of those people. The fact is - you can't protect everyone from everything - but anything that helps shouldn't be discounted. And - since not vaccinating has become the "hip" thing to do (Obviously not everyone chooses against vaccinating because it's hip - some people DO research and DO believe they are doing the right thing for their children by way of an educated decision ) herd immunity has - and will continue to decline...putting larger numbers of people at risk - including those who do not have the option to vaccinate.
Obviously by my post - I am PRO vaccinations. With that being said - I have plenty of friends who are ANTI vaccine - and I love them all just the same!
As far as your example of your cousin-in-laws sister...she has obviously heard the importance of pertussis vaccinations for those around her baby! Sometimes it isn't just preaching about vaccinations that is important...more education is needed for the general public on germ control! Sometimes we think that little things like her kid crawling on the hospital floor is common sense...and then you remember the number of people that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom.... The human race is certainly filled with ALL types!!
October 13th, 2013, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn82 View Post
Sometimes it isn't just preaching about vaccinations that is important...more education is needed for the general public on germ control! Sometimes we think that little things like her kid crawling on the hospital floor is common sense...and then you remember the number of people that don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom.... The human race is certainly filled with ALL types!!
Couldn't have said it better myself!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search