Vaccinations

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree26Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 4th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is there anyone else here who doesn't vaccinate their children?

I have chosen not to for my own reasons and did what I felt my child needed. I had concerns for him and followed what I felt was best for his development. That is not to say that I will never have him vaccinated... He will be caught up when I feel its time.... There are some I feel are important and some I feel are useless.

This morning on my FB news feed a friend of mine posted a pro-vaccine article about babies dying of whooping cough. The comment someone posted on it really honestly hurt my feelings

My child is not killing anyone elses children!! He has never had whopping cough or any sickness other than the flu. He has been an amazingly healthy child. Children who have been vaccinated for ANYTHING can still catch the sickness and pass it on. Its not like its only the unvaccinated children who are running around making other kids sick.

Pregnancy hormones are kicking in again and I really want to tell this chick (who doesnt have any children) off but I will spare my friend the embarrassment.... grrrr

October 4th, 2013, 08:26 AM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
I don't vaccinate either.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
October 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
talscot's Avatar Veteran
I vaccinate but one at a time. There are extreme people on both sides. I got vaccinated for pertussis right after my youngest was born in the hospital. I am not pro vaccine. I believe parents have the right to chose for their own children. I wonder if the woman who made that statement has been vaccinated for pertusis herself.
Onelove121 likes this.
October 4th, 2013, 09:00 AM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
I just hate when people get on their soap box and judge others for the decisions they make. I would never think of trying to bully someone into making a decision against their beliefs or berate them for a choice they made to decline something they felt was unsafe....whether I agreed or not. When it comes down to it, it is not other parents jobs to protect our children, it is our sole responsibility.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
October 4th, 2013, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree... Same reason I dont like to get into discussions about religion or politics with people. People just cant be civil to each other when they disagree. Its the way humans are I guess.

The thing that scares me about this "debate" is that the pro vaccine people are starting to really push this idea that "Vaccines are different from every other parenting issue in that the choices that parents make affect everyone else as well. Vaccines are everyone's business."

That to mean sounds like they want to force us to do what they think is best.... that is just so wrong to me in every way.

October 4th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
With the measles outbreak, I understand better now why so many people are pro-vaccine... I didn't want to do all of the vaccinations right away, but my daughter needed daycare, and they are required to attend, so we went ahead and got them. I have mixed feelings about vaccines, but lately I have been more pro-vaccine than anything else. I wish they would delay them a bit more amongst the very small infants though.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
October 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have friends who do not vax. I respect their decision. However my Facebook is flooded every day with anti vax comments...everything from implying I must not be informed if I vax to I'm going to kill my kid if I vax. I feel that vaxing and not vaxing BOTH have risk..but its very frustrating to have my parenting choice looked down upon almost every day. Non vaxing parents should worry about their kids and their choices and vaxing parents should do the same.

October 4th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I am pro vaccine, but I agree it's a very touchy subject. My twins were born with a rare metabolic disorder and before their liver transplant, a common cold have killed them let alone some crazy disease if they weren't vaccinated. The only time I get vocal with parents not vaccinating is when it's due to miss information, like autism.
amylynn82 likes this.
October 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We are selective and delay, but we haven't done it in 2 years. Slacking on my part.

I am a person who does what is best for our family. I truly believe every parent should make an informed decision before they do anything. Don't do it blindly, make up your own mind, don't let anyone else make it up for you. If that means you get all your vaccinations done on time, great. As long as you are informed in your choice. If you are selective/delay, again, as long as you're informed. Same with not doing it at all. Just be informed and make your choice as an informative one!

Many people like to put fear into people, play off others emotions. I know someone who does this. She lost a child to something you couldn't vaccinate against at the time but still puts other parents down for choosing not to.

And when people are rude and extreme like you just posted, I ignore it. I have bigger issues in my life than to argue with someone over my own personal choices if they don't agree. They think I'm a bad mom? So be it. I won't be losing sleep over their personal beliefs.

Mind you, I am not a pushy person on my own personal beliefs. I have friends who are extreme on both ends of the spectrum of parenting ways. I feel the way I feel, but I will never go out of my way to make you feel badly for choosing to do something opposite what i would do. I would never push my agendas down your throats. I would respect you and I expect the same respect. Sadly, many people can't do that.

Although, sometimes, I'd love to kick them in the shin.. hard.
Nel, Del4 and Onelove121 like this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 4th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Del4's Avatar Super Mommy
We don't vax. But we used to.

Also, let me add (for the OP), unvaccinated children cannot make vaccinated children sick UNLESS their vaccines don't work the way they are supposed to.

October 4th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Veteran
We did delayed and selective in the past but with my 1yo we are still deciding what we want to do meaning we have not done any yet. I would love to really hear more from you ladies on why you chose not to vaccinate. That would really be helpful for us right now. Thank you and I am so sorry people are not being very considerate right now of others feeling and their postings on FB!

How can there be too many children? That is like saying there are too many flowers. ~ Blessed Mother Teresa
October 4th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
We also did delayed and selective. We never do elective vaccines like flu, for me or my son. My husband is required by the military to vaccinate. He is the only one of us that ever gets sick. I won't do any vaccines for this baby until 6 months to a year at least. My son has always had bad reactions to vaccines so I will be even more selective this time around.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 4th, 2013, 01:11 PM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
You ladies have some great points! I've heard the guilt trip many times about unvaccinated kids making vaccinated kids sick. And that's all it is, a guilt trip. We do a partial schedule, which for us includes only what's required for school. Hubby would ideally do them all and I would ideally do none, so that's how we chose to compromise. I'm not against them entirely and don't judge those who do them all, but our family has extremely strong immune systems, and to me it's not worth the multitude of chemicals to vaccinate against things our kids will almost certainly not get anyway.

There have been very few long-term studies done on the effects of the chemicals in vaccines. Not the antibodies that provide immunity, but the chemicals that are included as preservatives and for other reasons. I'm just not comfortable putting that many chemicals into my kids when we don't really know what they're doing to those tiny bodies. So that's my reasoning behind the partial schedule.

With Lincoln we started in the hospital with the hep b (I didn't want to but the drugs had me all mixed up and I said yes before I thought it through) and did the recommended schedule for the ones we chose to have him get. With this baby, I'm NOT starting in the hospital and I'm thinking we may delay the others a few months, as well. I haven't had him in for his first mmr dose yet. That one makes me nervous because I had a serious reaction to it as a baby, so I decided to wait just a little longer for it.

October 4th, 2013, 01:24 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A friend of mine recently vaccinated her daughter for school, in my state, you do not have to be vaccinated to attend school. She was so upset that she had to do this but thought it was law. Till a few of us told her otherwise. You do have to sign a waiver though, stating why you're not vaccinating (personal or religious) though. Which was no biggie for me.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Last edited by inyourhonor; October 4th, 2013 at 01:32 PM.
October 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's the reason that argument pisses me off- vaccinated children get sick and can spread illnesses. My friend got whooping cough and guess what? Her vaccinated son did too. I do what's best for my family. I'm neither pro nor anti but extremists on either side annoy me. State your opinion but keep your ignorant judgements to yourself kwim? And, that kind of attack never changes anyone's mind. I have a close friend who is 100% anti-vax and she annoys the heck out of me sometimes. I wish everyone would just mind their own business and worry about themselves (extreme pro breast feeding and carseat safety people annoy me too and I agree both are important issues).
Nel likes this.
October 4th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
Here's the reason that argument pisses me off- vaccinated children get sick and can spread illnesses. My friend got whooping cough and guess what? Her vaccinated son did too. I do what's best for my family. I'm neither pro nor anti but extremists on either side annoy me. State your opinion but keep your ignorant judgements to yourself kwim? And, that kind of attack never changes anyone's mind. I have a close friend who is 100% anti-vax and she annoys the heck out of me sometimes. I wish everyone would just mind their own business and worry about themselves (extreme pro breast feeding and carseat safety people annoy me too and I agree both are important issues).
Extreme people on both sides of virtually every parenting issue annoy the crap out of me. Do your research and make the best decision for your child. Then leave the rest of the world alone. Is that really so hard? Why do so many mothers feel the need to crusade for their particular hot button issue?
Nel, *CAMM*, mommy2b43 and 1 others like this.

October 4th, 2013, 03:15 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I do delayed selective vax. And that story was going around on my fb as well. I just choose to ignore the ignorant comments that come from both side, pro vax and non vax parents. If my husband would get on board we would not vax at all. Oh and if that lady that commented on that post would have read it, she would have known the mother of the child was the one who gave the infant pertussis.

Anyways, we all have our reasons as to why we do or do not vax, and the people who do vax should not be concerned. Because if the vaccinations worked as they are supposed to their children should be safe from catching what diseases they are worried about.

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
October 4th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Veteran
I am not sure on vacs I would like to do delay but bf wants them done.
I will get the whooping cough and any other person that wants to be around the baby my state has a very high rate of whooping cough.
In researching it I found that the booster kids are getting at 4-6 years old is not lasting as long as they thought. The next booster is not until 10-12 but they found out in the 2010 outbreak that kids that had the kindergarten booster were catching it the 7-9 year olds
My step daughter is fully vaxed she will be almost 10 when baby is born we are going to see if she can get her booster early because she is in school and I know it can really make infants sick if they get it.
October 4th, 2013, 06:16 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids are vaxed, pretty close to on schedule..
bella88 likes this.

October 5th, 2013, 03:09 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ds is vaccinated on a delayed schedule. I wish we could do no vaccinations but I fear the worst if I don't. It's really gross what they are made of though. Dh really doesn't want him to have them but I would rather be safe than sorry.

[/url

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search