Premature births?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Masesmama

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 22nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
My mom had my little sister 3 months prematurely. My older sister had her first child 2.5 months prematurely. I keep reading that there isn't much evidence on exactly what causes premature births and the degree of the genetic link (predisposition), if there is one at all.

Any thoughts on this? It's something that's always been in the back of my head -- I'm even thinking I shouldn't leave important baby purchases until the last minute, but maybe I'm being too dramatic.
October 22nd, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think it all depends on the reason for the prematurity. My mother had an incompetent cervix so her first two were born very early. Obviously that is not genetic so not something that was a concern for me. If the reason for the prematurity is unknown then I think it might be more of a concern.

Honestly I wouldn't recommend leaving a ton of stuff until the third trimester just because of the odds that something happens: you get put on bedrest, deliver early, or are just too miserable to want to deal with it then After a picture perfect pregnancy with DS I was very unexpectedly put on bedrest in my third trimester. We had so many things left to do and it was really stressful because I couldn't DO anything and DH is, well, a man! My goal this time is have everything critical taken care of in the second tri or very early third tri.

October 22nd, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No idea about genetics but I have read that there is some evidence that says women who don't floss have a higher chance of premature birth. I thought that was interesting...I hate hate hate flossing but when pregnant I try to keep up with it!

October 22nd, 2013, 12:54 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
No idea about genetics but I have read that there is some evidence that says women who don't floss have a higher chance of premature birth. I thought that was interesting...I hate hate hate flossing but when pregnant I try to keep up with it!
That's so odd! I've never heard that before. I wonder why it can lead to premature birth...

October 22nd, 2013, 01:14 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
There is supposedly a genetic link, depending on the cause of the prematurity. Do you know why your mom and sister had preemies?

I had baby #3 at 30 weeks and we hadn't bought much of anything yet and honestly it sucked coming home to an empty house and then we weren't much interested in buying stuff while she was held hostage in the NICU.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
October 22nd, 2013, 04:42 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm not sure on the genetic link. My mom had my sister a month and a half early, I think? But that is because I was three and got my fingers stuck in the VCR when I was watching Dumbo for the 1000th time. She got mad and then BAM. Labor. But I came out late and my brother was pretty on time.
October 22nd, 2013, 05:02 PM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
My mom had me exactly one day before my EDD. She went into preterm labor with my half sister at least three before her EDD and they put her on medication to keep labor at bay, she ended up coming a month early and had a bunch of learning/cognitive disabilities and is no longer with us (very long story). It's something I worry about too, especially because of what ended up happening to her, but I guess all we can do is hope for the best.

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
October 22nd, 2013, 10:42 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
I think as a first time mom it's a normal concern especially if you know someone who has had preemies. There isn't much evidence to suggest anything though so I would try not to worry. Try to take care of all your purchases in the second trimester so you can enjoy being fat and miserable in the third lol!!
girlsofsummer likes this.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 23rd, 2013, 04:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBean18 View Post
That's so odd! I've never heard that before. I wonder why it can lead to premature birth...

I think they think it has something to do with the bacteria that can build up if you don't floss...they come off and go to the baby somehow and cause premature labor? I've also read that flossing can lower your chance of heart disease. Seems pretty random but I figure it can't hurt.

October 24th, 2013, 11:13 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
It might not hurt to meet with a high risk OB. If you give her your family history, she might be able to tell you what your risk for pre-term birth.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 24th, 2013, 01:47 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
In both cases, it was unexplained. To be fair, though, my mom was older-ish (38) when she had my younger sister. My older sis fell about a week before she went into pre-term labor, but her doctor didn't think that's what caused it.

Will a midwife not see me if I tell her that though? They won't take high-risk pregnancies or multiples.
October 24th, 2013, 01:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post
In both cases, it was unexplained. To be fair, though, my mom was older-ish (38) when she had my younger sister. My older sis fell about a week before she went into pre-term labor, but her doctor didn't think that's what caused it.

Will a midwife not see me if I tell her that though? They won't take high-risk pregnancies or multiples.
I'm no expert but I don't think that would keep you from seeing a midwife, especially since it wasn't you who previously had a premature baby. You can always ask though I have a friend with type I diabetes (usually automatically puts you in the high risk category) and she was able to have a home birth with a midwife so it probably varies by midwife.

October 24th, 2013, 02:06 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
It will depend on the state and the midwife. I don't think that would have stopped my SIL's midwife from seeing you (I'm in MD), since you have no history of it yourself, but she would want to know.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 24th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
they usually ask about family history anyway, if your midwife felt it was any concern they would have already asked you about it

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 24th, 2013, 04:53 PM
no one can say with any certainly but I do believe it doesn't hurt to be ready early for anyone

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search