For those not planning to get an NT scan

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2013, 11:23 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
I STRONGLY recommend getting one. I hear moms say all the time that they would never terminate, so there is no reason to get one, but there IS a reason.

If you know that something is wrong with your baby, you can better prepare for their birth and infancy.

If baby has a heart defect, you want a pediatric cardiologist in the delivery room. Your baby might need surgery immediately after birth, so you want to deliver at the hospital with the right doctors. Your baby may need - like my son needed - high level NICU care, and there is a waiting list - unless you give birth at the hospital that has one. You want to have the right pediatrician lined up.

I have had two high risk pregnancies, and volunteer to support high risk moms, and having those months to prepare for delivery - and the life ahead - are invaluable.

NT scans are not just for terminations - they are just as much for preparation. I was blindsided by my son needing Level IV NICU care at birth. I wish there had been a test that could have prepared me for what was to come.
Nel, bella88, 208mama and 2 others like this.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 24th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
Our naval hospital does not offer them, unless your bloodwork comes back with positive triggers. And then they will only do it after another round of blood work.

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
October 24th, 2013, 01:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm not getting one. German health doesn't cover it so we would have to pay out of pocket. They will find the problems at the 20 week scan anyway and it will be much more accurate then. I've heard so many false positives with the NT scan/blood tests and it won't diagnose the potential problems anyway....just suggest further testing. Not worth the stress imo, unless you are someone interested in terminating.
Decemberhill and Lyndsey2013 like this.

October 24th, 2013, 02:04 PM
You're right, it's not worth paying out of pocket. But not everything shows up on the 20 week scan. If your insurance covers it, I recommend it though. One of my son's NICU roomies got an early warning on major anatomical problems, so by the time he was born at 27 weeks, everything was lined up. They did open heart surgery right there in the NICU!

It's a shame when insurance companies restrict your choices, even if you aren't going to make the choice. It should still be there for you to say no to.

October 24th, 2013, 02:21 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here in Aus you pay out of pocket unless you are over 35, have had IVF or something or are high risk. Getting it anyways next week, it'll be great to see .

October 24th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I've never had one but I don't know if my insurance covers it.

Scarlett Diane

October 24th, 2013, 03:52 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
Most insurances are starting not to cover it unless you have risk factors or positive markers in blood tests. I won't be getting one, but I'm also not doing a lot of the normal "testing" for pregnancy. I just feel like, if my baby is meant to be born a certain way, they will. We will take things as they come. There's nothing, no test, that could have prepared me for my son who is special needs (developmental delay) and we are handling it and taking things as they come.
Nel and Lyndsey2013 like this.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 24th, 2013, 04:47 PM
well said
I always agree to the scan, not just for the intended purpose, but I just cant turn down any chance to see my baby
October 24th, 2013, 04:56 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Shoot, thanks for the reminder that I need to call to confirm that my insurance covers it. My scan is on Monday. I hope they do, I really want to see Little H again!
October 24th, 2013, 05:36 PM
That was another motivating factor for me - another scan! I wonder if BC/BS has changed their coverage.

October 24th, 2013, 06:28 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor doesnt offer them, and ive never asked him about having one, but we always get the second trimester screening tests and the anatomy scan..

October 24th, 2013, 07:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My insurance only covers one ultrasound unless you are high risk. Which I am pretty sure after my son I am pre diabetic and will be considered high risk but that won't come till later I am moving next week and still have not had an appt at all so I probably will be 12-13 weeks before I see one.

October 24th, 2013, 07:40 PM
I hope you don't end up high risk, but if you do, there is a JM support board.

October 24th, 2013, 07:49 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
I am high-risk for several reasons so I will be getting my NT on Nov 11th. Even if I wasn't high-risk and it was an elective ultrasound, I would still be doing it. I like to know what is going on so I can be as prepared as possible.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
October 25th, 2013, 04:02 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually cancelled mine. I did it with ds and all it left me with was worry and a $350 bill after insurance. I have faith in the 20 week scan since that it's very detailed and looks at every organ. I have no childcare this time around either and there is no way ds would be content at a 3 hour appointment. this pregnancy so far is less complicated than ds so I'm not as worried. I trust my drs office.

[/url

October 25th, 2013, 05:42 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I also will not be getting one. Unsure if my insurance covers it, but I also am another one who will wait till the 20 week anatomy scan.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 25th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
Hi Ladies,,,, I am lurking from the December DDC and just wanted to chime in here..sorry if I am out of line, just felt I should post. Forgive me, not meant to upset anyone...
I Always, with my 6 successful births, had the NT scan, like many of you, just for the chance to see my baby on screen. So nothing was different this time around. I had four losses prior to this before the NT scan was even an option, so when it was my turn to FINALLY have the NT scan with this baby, I thought...Great....extra ultrasound! Well, that NT scan showed a thickened fold of 2.7...still within normal range but on the high end. I had the blood work that normally follows right after and those results came back with a 1:11 chance for Downs. Then I had the MaterniT21 blood serum test and it came back positive, so 99.1% chance that my baby (girl as we found out from the test) will have Downs. I then had an ultrasound at 18 weeks for anatomy. It did not show not one single marker for Downs at all...nothing. My doctor even commented that he was surprised and if it was not for the MaterniT21 test, he would never have known about the Downs. I had another anatomy ultrasound at 22 weeks, no markers at all again. Because of the Blood test results, I was sent for a fetal echocardiogram at 24 weeks as 50% of babies born with DS have a heart defect. It showed nothing as well. So, doctors still confused and we just went along. I had another scan at 26 weeks for growth....still NOT ONE MARKER at all...nothing. Baby was measuring exactly on track, no red flags at all. So I went back for a second Fetal echocardiogram at 30 weeks, this past Tuesday, and guess what....? Now there is a visible heart defect. Although they are not sure what kind of defect it is, they have a very good idea of what it is...and it will require surgery within a few hours or days of life...NICU stay at a level III Nicu and a cardiology staff on hand for the birth. If I did not have that NT scan to prompt the MaterniT 21 test, I would have NEVER been sent for a Fetal Echocardiogram. Just to add, I also had an anatomy scan Tuesday, which I have every two weeks or so now, and still NOT ONE SINGLE MARKER at all. I was 30w4d at the time and baby measured 30w6d! The heart even looked "normal". Only an echo can pick up the detail needed for her heart defect diagnosis. If I opted to not have the NT scan, I would have never received the odds I did, and thus, I would have never taken the MaerniT21 test. If I didn't take that, then I would have not known my little girl has Downs. If I didn't know she has downs, we would have never been offered or received the higher level of care including, the echocardiogram, and if we didn't have the echo, we would not know, until she was born that she has a very serious heart defect. I would have delivered in my usual hospital, with a level I nursery, not a lever III and without a pediatric Cardiology staff on hand. She would have to be transported to another hospital about 1/2 hour away and that could mean so much at that point. Now that we know, she will be monitored even closer with more echos and more ultrasounds, probably once weekly to monitor her. She will also be born in a top Boston hospital with a level IV NICU (in case its worse than expected) and within 5 minutes from Children's Hospital in Boston (top notch).
With all of this being said, How many chose to proceed is their business and like MOST of you, I knew no matter what, I would not terminate, and I meant that, but I have heard/seen others who have said that before the NT scan, only to find out their baby has an abnormality, and then the do terminate. Its a personal choice and you cannot know what you would do until you are faced with it....trust me.
I am not at all being preachy here...just trying to offer some support.
That NT scan will most likely be credited to saving my baby's life. Without it...I would have never known of how much care she will need immediately following her birth. If you absolutely do not want the NT, then ask about the NIPS tests (Non invasive prenatal screening) like MaterniT21, Harmony, Panorama, and Verify. These all test for Downs (trisomy 21) as well as Trisomies 13 and 18 (which are typically tnot conducive with life). I know a lot of insurance companies do not cover them and out of pocket could be like $300 or more. Based on my NT scan and first tri blood draw putting me at a high risk or odds level, my MT21 WAS totally covered. Without that NT scan, I would not have opted to have this test done due to the cost...therefore, I would not have known.
Ok, I am off my soapbox. I am sorry for lurking and intruding but I just would feel very guilty if I didn't offer my story to someone, and then they did or did not opt for testing and something horrible like a heart defect that can be treated is left untreated and something awful happened.
Ultimately what you decide is up to you, but a lot can happen. Just as a reminder....My anatomy scans at 18 weeks, 22 weeks, 26 weeks and 30 weeks have shown NO MARKERS at all for Down syndrome or any other malformation of any kind...including the heart. I wish all the very best with your pregnancies and hope I did not offend anyone.

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
October 25th, 2013, 07:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasgirl View Post
Hi Ladies,,,, I am lurking from the December DDC and just wanted to chime in here..sorry if I am out of line, just felt I should post. Forgive me, not meant to upset anyone...
I Always, with my 6 successful births, had the NT scan, like many of you, just for the chance to see my baby on screen. So nothing was different this time around. I had four losses prior to this before the NT scan was even an option, so when it was my turn to FINALLY have the NT scan with this baby, I thought...Great....extra ultrasound! Well, that NT scan showed a thickened fold of 2.7...still within normal range but on the high end. I had the blood work that normally follows right after and those results came back with a 1:11 chance for Downs. Then I had the MaterniT21 blood serum test and it came back positive, so 99.1% chance that my baby (girl as we found out from the test) will have Downs. I then had an ultrasound at 18 weeks for anatomy. It did not show not one single marker for Downs at all...nothing. My doctor even commented that he was surprised and if it was not for the MaterniT21 test, he would never have known about the Downs. I had another anatomy ultrasound at 22 weeks, no markers at all again. Because of the Blood test results, I was sent for a fetal echocardiogram at 24 weeks as 50% of babies born with DS have a heart defect. It showed nothing as well. So, doctors still confused and we just went along. I had another scan at 26 weeks for growth....still NOT ONE MARKER at all...nothing. Baby was measuring exactly on track, no red flags at all. So I went back for a second Fetal echocardiogram at 30 weeks, this past Tuesday, and guess what....? Now there is a visible heart defect. Although they are not sure what kind of defect it is, they have a very good idea of what it is...and it will require surgery within a few hours or days of life...NICU stay at a level III Nicu and a cardiology staff on hand for the birth. If I did not have that NT scan to prompt the MaterniT 21 test, I would have NEVER been sent for a Fetal Echocardiogram. Just to add, I also had an anatomy scan Tuesday, which I have every two weeks or so now, and still NOT ONE SINGLE MARKER at all. I was 30w4d at the time and baby measured 30w6d! The heart even looked "normal". Only an echo can pick up the detail needed for her heart defect diagnosis. If I opted to not have the NT scan, I would have never received the odds I did, and thus, I would have never taken the MaerniT21 test. If I didn't take that, then I would have not known my little girl has Downs. If I didn't know she has downs, we would have never been offered or received the higher level of care including, the echocardiogram, and if we didn't have the echo, we would not know, until she was born that she has a very serious heart defect. I would have delivered in my usual hospital, with a level I nursery, not a lever III and without a pediatric Cardiology staff on hand. She would have to be transported to another hospital about 1/2 hour away and that could mean so much at that point. Now that we know, she will be monitored even closer with more echos and more ultrasounds, probably once weekly to monitor her. She will also be born in a top Boston hospital with a level IV NICU (in case its worse than expected) and within 5 minutes from Children's Hospital in Boston (top notch).
With all of this being said, How many chose to proceed is their business and like MOST of you, I knew no matter what, I would not terminate, and I meant that, but I have heard/seen others who have said that before the NT scan, only to find out their baby has an abnormality, and then the do terminate. Its a personal choice and you cannot know what you would do until you are faced with it....trust me.
I am not at all being preachy here...just trying to offer some support.
That NT scan will most likely be credited to saving my baby's life. Without it...I would have never known of how much care she will need immediately following her birth. If you absolutely do not want the NT, then ask about the NIPS tests (Non invasive prenatal screening) like MaterniT21, Harmony, Panorama, and Verify. These all test for Downs (trisomy 21) as well as Trisomies 13 and 18 (which are typically tnot conducive with life). I know a lot of insurance companies do not cover them and out of pocket could be like $300 or more. Based on my NT scan and first tri blood draw putting me at a high risk or odds level, my MT21 WAS totally covered. Without that NT scan, I would not have opted to have this test done due to the cost...therefore, I would not have known.
Ok, I am off my soapbox. I am sorry for lurking and intruding but I just would feel very guilty if I didn't offer my story to someone, and then they did or did not opt for testing and something horrible like a heart defect that can be treated is left untreated and something awful happened.
Ultimately what you decide is up to you, but a lot can happen. Just as a reminder....My anatomy scans at 18 weeks, 22 weeks, 26 weeks and 30 weeks have shown NO MARKERS at all for Down syndrome or any other malformation of any kind...including the heart. I wish all the very best with your pregnancies and hope I did not offend anyone.

Wishing you and your little girl the best! Pretty amazing that the only thing that picked it up with the MT21...not available in Germany I would do that test if it was available. Fortunately/unfortunately I am already a high risk pregnancy so I will have a fetal echo as it is. What is sad this if I wasn't high risk I wouldn't even be offered a basic anatomy scan unless I paid for it out of pocket (public health doesn't cover it, you just get a scan the measures the leg, stomach, head...basically checks for growth). I was just telling my husband yesterday that in this system I am in a way lucky that I am high risk because then I can know all the facts without having to shell out several hundred dollars.

October 25th, 2013, 12:23 PM
I'm actually one of the ones who terminated. I was 13 weeks pregnant with triplets (baby A is the cute little guy wearing a hat in my very outdated siggie). We couldn't have the blood test because it doesn't work on triplets, but the scan does. The scan showed two very sick babies. Baby C, my daughter, had an NT of 7.6. She was diagnosed with Turner Syndrome, which has a great outcome if you make it to birth, but that was not going to happen for her, she had an expected survival rate of about 0%. Baby B, one of my sons, was sick too, with an NT of 2.7 and a laundry list of other problems. His expected survival rate was 5%. Baby A was fine. NT of 1.1, not a thing wrong that they could see. We could have pushed on with the pregnancy as it was, but when Babies B & C died - which they would - I would go into labor and lose all three babies.

We made the hardest decision of our lives. If they had been single pregnancies we would have stuck it out, to see. But we couldn't risk another life. One week later, we terminated. Well, we terminated Baby B. My daughter actually died on her own during the amniocentesis. I ties the stillbirth of my son as the worst day of my life. I carried my babies with me for the entirety of the pregnancy.

If I had waited for the 20 week scan, it would have been too late. A termination would have induced labor. I would have been forced to wait for my children to die, praying that they survived just long enough for my son to be viable. I would have had a baby born at 24, 26, 28 weeks tops. He would have spent months in the NICU fighting for his life and he would have lasting damage from his early birth. All if I had waited just 6 more weeks.

I said I'd never terminate. After my son Ethan was stillborn, I was 1000% that I would never ever terminate. Ever. Well I guess God didn't like me dealing in absolutes, and I got stuck doing what no mother ever thinks she'd do. I still think about them. I saved the toy we had bought each baby the day we found out we were having triplets. So I always recommend an NT scan. Not because I think this will ever happen to anybody else, but because it's an early warning system that someone might need. I guess insurance companies don't think helping us care for our babies is worth it.

October 25th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow Rebecca, I'm sorry you had to go through that

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search