MaterniT21 vs NT question

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 24th, 2013, 08:11 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
Anyone know the answer to this? I got my MaterniT21 results today and everything is normal. My NT is scheduled for tomorrow. I'm 39 and I opted for this combo instead of a CVS as I did in my first pregnancy. Anyway, since MaterniT21 is more definitive than NT why do I need both? Are there things the NT checks that MaterniT21 does not (chromosomes 21, 18 & 13)?
October 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
The NT itself is an ultrasound screening that measures the thickness of the skin at the base of the baby's neck. This is useful because, in addition to being an indicator for the types of chromosomal disorders both the MaterniT21 and quad screen blood tests look for, it can identify if there is a problem that is not due to a chromosomal disorder. It first came to market in 2011 and is supposed to have better accuracy than the quad screen, but it is not available everywhere yet.

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

October 25th, 2013, 07:42 AM
Papasgirl's Avatar Down Syndrome Pregnancy
THe NT screen is just that...a screening test offering odds of an abnormality based on Nuchal fold thickness,,,just a side note here.... nuchal fold thickness is also related to heart defects. A large nuchal fold, say 6.0 will almost always be associated with some sort of heart defect, but may not always mean chromosomal abnormality. I had an NT of 2.7, still normal and my baby has a heart defect and T21. I did have the MT21 blood draw too. I would trust that over the NT. I think you are good. Congrats on the all clear blood draw

Baby Girl Anastasia is my Rainbow!! Diagnosed with T21...
We will journey together
October 25th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
They don't do MT21 here :/ Can't you also find out the gender with that test?

October 25th, 2013, 11:28 AM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
I am having the DNA blood test on Tuesday, but they are also doing the NT measurement. I thought it was for comparative data for those who just do the NT, but what Rebecca said makes sense.
October 25th, 2013, 12:59 PM
The MaterniT21 is the equivalent of the quad screen, with reported higher accuracy. I don't think it can detect gender, I think that has to be done with a CVS or amniocentesis so you can directly remove DNA from where the baby is and then run a karyotype test on them (my sister had this done). The quad screen and MaterniT21 test the mother's blood for cell-free DNA, which contains bits and pieces of the baby's DNA.

I had the quad screen + NT scan with my first pregnancy, and ironically, everything looked great. I could not have the quad screen done in my second pregnancy - I carried triplets for almost 15 weeks and nobody has figured out how to make that test work in higher order multiple pregnancies. But I did have the NT scan, which proved invaluable. The MaterniT21 test hadn't been released when I was pregnant. My sister is a genetic counselor at the top high risk hospital in the country. Normally I'd just call her and ask which test her hospital prefers, but she HAD A BABY TUESDAY!!! I'll try to remember to ask when I see her tonight to meet my nephew!

October 25th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I just had my nt scan and bloodwork drawn for MaterniT21. They asked if I also wanted the blood tested for Y chromosome or something like that, which is how they determine sex through the mother's blood. I'm definitely going to find out. But as far as I was told, the sex analysis is something that is done through the MaterniT21. I could be wrong about that.
October 25th, 2013, 04:55 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
Yes MaterniT21 gives you gender result! We're having a girl!!
October 25th, 2013, 07:48 PM
I am very jealous it wasn't around in 2010!

October 25th, 2013, 08:25 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know if MaterniT21 is available in Australia but it sounds like a good test to have done

Last edited by bella88; October 25th, 2013 at 08:27 PM.
October 26th, 2013, 01:35 PM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
I believe there are several companies that offer this type of test, MaterniT21, Harmony, Verifi, Panorama. I have only looked at the MaterniT21, but they state they are supposed to be 99.1% accurate for T21, pretty close to an amnio. They came out with this test right before I had my last daughter.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search