Scary... Beware

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 27th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Regular
This is for all you Mommas that want to deliver at home. I'm a labor/delivery nurse in a children's hospital. We deliver very high risk babies. Anyway I hear lots of stories from the ICN about transfers in. The other night they received a transfer from an outlying hospital that the baby was very sick.

So there was a momma that this was her 4th pregnancy and wanted a home birth this time around so she sought out a midwife and the midwife agreed to a home birth. The momma had two prior sections, was 41, had GDM with previous pregnancies but still wanted a home birth. The momma finally went into labor at 42 weeks, she labored for 23 hrs and finally had 11 lbs baby boy. The momma then started bleeding out of control and at the same time the dad was trying to take care of the baby all the while the baby was turning gray. The dad called 911. By the time the ambulance got there the momma had passed out from losing so much blood and the baby was holding on. They finally got them to the hospital and transferred the baby right away to the children's hospital. But the momma ended up dying. They think her uterus ruptured. And since she didn't deliver in a hospital with all those red flags ended up losing we life and her husband is alone with four little one. Just very scary.

I love midwives and actually prefer vaginal delivered with them but in a controlled setting especially with all the high risk factors.

Oh also the baby ended up a with a cardiac issue and will be having surgery soon. But he is stable at this point.

October 27th, 2013, 10:32 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There is a point where the midwife should realize some patients aren't a good candidate for home birth.

I have had two successful home births after only one c-section. I was a good candidate because all 3 of my pregnancies and labors were low risk. The c-section was because doctors were pushy and wanting to get a first time mom baby out who wasn't quite ready yet. I went into labor on my own and was in labor 24 hours.

My midwife would not have taken me had I been that mom. It's a very sad story and my heart breaks for the family. There is risk with EVERYTHING. But if you're a low risk pregnancy, it could be fine. That mom put herself at risk for that choice, and it's unbelievably sad.

I'm a huge supporter of home births, but within reason. Any previous complications to pregnancy and or labor, no. I appreciate you sharing, but I feel any person who willing goes into the choice of having a home birth better be doing it as an educated decision. If they choose to ignore factors, that falls onto them.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 27th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
I don't think moms should be scared out of home birth because complications can arise. A good midwife wouldn't have taken her on as she was a high risk patient. Midwives deal with low risk women and pregnancies. Hospitals have way more complications than are necessary in a normal birth but just because the woman doesn't die it's considered a success.

I agree with inyourhonor. Home birth is not for everyone and a midwife should know when to recognize that a woman isn't a good candidate, and the mom should be educated about the risk factors knowing she was a high risk patient. Most home births and birth centers have around 2% c section rate compared to over 30% in a hospital setting, so it's obvious that home birth has been very successful when the midwife doesn't take on patients that need to be seen in a hospital setting.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 27th, 2013, 11:36 AM
Regular
Yes I agree with both of you. Two of the nurses I work with both have home births without problems. And I agree that most births would be fine to have at home. It's just scary that there are midwives out there that would accept those risk factors.
anjewellove likes this.

October 27th, 2013, 11:50 AM
That is why it's so important for women to really do their research, talk to other moms and patients who have used that midwife. Just like with an ob, they all make different judgement calls and you have to feel comfortable knowing you made the right decision and have the right provider for yourself and your child. Most midwives wouldn't have taken her as a patient, and she probably chose that midwife because she was the only one who would take her on.
ken-2 likes this.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 27th, 2013, 11:51 AM
^ Exactly. That midwife should not be practicing, period.

Killian's Birth Story
October 27th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's really sad I've also heard there can be a big difference between having a CNM and a CPM. From what I've read CPMs might not be as qualified as a CNM. I've read other stories about babies dying at home births attended by CPMs.

I wouldn't be able to go through with a home birth. I had a natural birth with my first and wouldn't be scared of the pain...it's just all the what-ifs. I'm a pretty big worrier as it is This time I'm hoping to give birth at a hospital that has a birth center like atmosphere and even allows water births.
ken-2 and emilyeeb like this.

October 27th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There was actually a study done that proved homebirths for low risk women to in fact be the safer option. I will have to find it. Women and babies die in hospitals, too. But because they are not a dramatic home hirth transfer, you don't hear about them.

I don't think it is fair to try to scare mom's. This is supposed to be a support group, not a place to share horror stories for "all you moms that want to homebirth."

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

October 27th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
^I agree, I didnt really appreciate that story.

October 27th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
That's really sad I've also heard there can be a big difference between having a CNM and a CPM. From what I've read CPMs might not be as qualified as a CNM. I've read other stories about babies dying at home births attended by CPMs.

I wouldn't be able to go through with a home birth. I had a natural birth with my first and wouldn't be scared of the pain...it's just all the what-ifs. I'm a pretty big worrier as it is This time I'm hoping to give birth at a hospital that has a birth center like atmosphere and even allows water births.
CNM practices in a hospital, some do deliver at home. My midwife was a CPM. One is a Certified Nurse Midwife, the other is a Certified Professional Midwife. My midwife has been working for 30 years, delivered hundreds of babies and only lost a few. None at her negligence, but to unfortunate genetics, or the baby passing before being born.

There are studies like a previous poster that prove a home birth for a low risk woman is just as safe, if not safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
^I agree, I didnt really appreciate that story.
Now that I've thought about it, I take my appreciate for sharing it as well (which was meant in the context of sharing the other side of what can happen). It is a scare tactic and this isn't the place to do so. I understand sharing personal stories, but coming in here to share something that didn't directly happen to you, not a good idea. Especially with so many first time moms. Heck even on my 4th, so many things worry me.

We're here for support, not to be scared.

Killian's Birth Story

Last edited by inyourhonor; October 27th, 2013 at 02:48 PM.
October 27th, 2013, 03:36 PM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_Love View Post
There was actually a study done that proved homebirths for low risk women to in fact be the safer option. I will have to find it. Women and babies die in hospitals, too. But because they are not a dramatic home hirth transfer, you don't hear about them. I don't think it is fair to try to scare mom's. This is supposed to be a support group, not a place to share horror stories for "all you moms that want to homebirth."
All I know is that I just started working as a registered nurse (on a non-mother/baby floor), but one of the girls who started orientation with me (who is on L&D) was saying that almost all the moms she has labored with have gone to c-section. That freaks me out and makes me glad I'm not delivering there. I've also heard some bad things about hemorrhages on L&D and maternity. It can happen anywhere...

Everything has it's positives and negatives but we need to take responsibility for ourselves and research our practitioners (whether MD, DO, CNM, etc) as well as the potential site and make our selection from there. Very bad things are unlikely to happen, but can, and we need to educate ourselves to ensure the best for both us and our babies.
Masesmama likes this.

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
October 27th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I agree with RedSoxfan. Home birth or birth center births are not for everyone but that is not to say they are wrong or dangerous. If you have a skilled midwife, complications are rare. Remember giving birth is something that does not require medical intervention, so there is no reason for women to be afraid of other options aside from hospitals. We all need to support one another and advocate for ourselves for the best outcomes for our moms and babies, by knowing what situation and what provider is best for each of us.
inyourhonor and Tree_Love like this.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 27th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree_Love View Post
There was actually a study done that proved homebirths for low risk women to in fact be the safer option. I will have to find it. Women and babies die in hospitals, too. But because they are not a dramatic home hirth transfer, you don't hear about them.

I don't think it is fair to try to scare mom's. This is supposed to be a support group, not a place to share horror stories for "all you moms that want to homebirth."
I'd be interested in seeing the article. I'm a big advocate of women birthing where they feel the most comfortable but I wonder if in those stats they also controlled for the fact that hospitals see far more cases of women that would be more likely to die in the first place. I think there is a lot that can be changed with birthing in (most) hospitals in the West...unfortunately I think a lot of the procedures are dictated by things like liability and insurance. :/ I see subtle difference between America and Germany even. In Germany it is much more difficult for patients to sue doctors...it happens very rarely, therefore I believe health professionals practice a little differently over here because they are not as afraid of being sued. There is no testing done for GBS, inductions for high risk individuals (such as those with GD) don't happen until 40 weeks vs. the typical 39 in the States...not as much pressure to deliver the baby if the water has been broken for x hours etc.

Idk... I feel like the original poster was just trying to make sure people educated themselves about homebirth since, as we have all agreed on, it's not the best choice for everyone. Obviously the woman in the story chose to take a huge risk and perhaps she was not as educated as she could have been.
ken-2 likes this.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; October 27th, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
October 27th, 2013, 04:47 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
Idk... I feel like the original poster was just trying to make sure people educated themselves about homebirth since, as we have all agreed on, it's not the best choice for everyone. Obviously the woman in the story chose to take a huge risk and perhaps she was not as educated as she could have been.
I just think that if someone wanted others to be educated about something they would offer facts and questions to ask instead of a horror story that will likely fit very few of us. I am sure it is a small percentage of us on our fourth pregnancy and of those I bet even fewer have had 2 c-sections. It was uncalled for and worded improperly to be helpful. And then the backpedaling with nurses that have had homebirths? Makes me not even believe the original story. Sorry, we are a young DDC and I am still in "watch for trolls mode" atm.

Here is an article about planned homebirth vs. hospital birth. Planned Home Birth With Registered Midwife As Safe As Hospital Birth, Canadian Study Finds

Here is the link to the actual study for those who wish to read it. http://www.cmaj.ca/content/early/200...81869.full.pdf

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

October 27th, 2013, 07:43 PM
Crafty Mommy
As a NICU nurse that gets those birthing center and home birth babies, I will say that it's definitely not a risk I would ever take personally. Our midwives that deliver in the hospital are amazing, and we do water births and everything too. But like many have said, bad things happen at hospitals too. The good thing is, if something bad happens, you have skilled doctors and the staff/equipment you need seconds away. The bad thing is, there are definitely way more c-sections done unnecessarily IMO in the hospital. We have one OB that sections everyone because he is busy or doesn't want to get stuck with a mom for several hours, and then we end up with late-preterm babies that shouldn't be born yet. Makes me so mad!

Do what's best for you. Every scenario has a risk, you have to do what's right for you and your baby and don't worry about what everyone else thinks.

Just PLEASE don't have a C/S before 39 weeks unless medically necessary! That's all I will say, because I already love all of you and your babies, so keep em cooking!!
NewMami, *CAMM*, ken-2 and 1 others like this.

October 28th, 2013, 07:59 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
It is a scare tactic and this isn't the place to do so. I understand sharing personal stories, but coming in here to share something that didn't directly happen to you, not a good idea. Especially with so many first time moms. Heck even on my 4th, so many things worry me.

We're here for support, not to be scared.
This. I read this post the other day and wondered why you posted here. Did you just feel like dropping by this DDC to post some second-hand story that didn't actually happen to you?

Edit: Sorry, that came off too snarky. I apologize.
Masesmama likes this.

Last edited by girlsofsummer; October 28th, 2013 at 01:49 PM.
October 28th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I've had 4 perfect uncomplicated births. I would love I have this baby at home or in a birth center, but my insurance covers a birth center 3 hours away there is one an hour away but I'd have to pay out of pocket which my husband refuses to do. I live in Louisiana where I don't really get a say in my birth. Oh I can tell them what I want and fight them on it. But they didn't listen the last time. I felt bullied and pressured into getting the epidural. Yes my baby was born three hours after I got there and everything was perfect afterwards, I didn't get to hold my baby right away. I couldn't walk for hours. And I was more tired being there getting blood checks and bp checks throughout the night.

Everyone's birth is going to be different. You can't always base an upcoming birth on a previous one. You can not base your birth of of what happened to someone else.

The mother in the story should have known she was at higher risk and stuck with a hospital. It sucks sure but why can't we think of the safety of ourselves and our baby's. The midwife should har known not to take her as a patient. Educated choices ladies. If you don't know ask. If you can't find the info yourself ask. Don't rush in o any decisions without getting information.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

Scarlett Diane

October 28th, 2013, 08:24 AM
rebeccabaltimore and more's Avatar (rebeccabaltimore)
That woman was far too high risk for a home birth. She had two sections, gestational diabetes x 4, was of significantly advanced maternal age, and an 11 pound baby is macrosomic, meaning that she most likely did not care for her diabetes well enough during pregnancy. In my state, midwives CANNOT accept patients with most of those factors.

I wanted a homebirth. I really did. My first delivery was a stillbirth, and after seeing (after the fact) my SIL's 2 beautiful homebirths, I knew that I didn't want to go back to the hospital where I had only bad memories.

But I'm high risk. My MS alone made me high risk, but there were a laundry list of other factors. So you know what? I sucked it up and gave birth at the hospital. My baby's needs outweighed mine. And it's a good thing too - my son was born not breathing and having a seizure (he's fine now). He needed immediate medical intervention. If I had had him at home, there would have been a delay (the ambulance ride) and he could have become hypoxic and had brain damage. That happened to a great uncle of mine. He spent his entire life in an institution.

My next door neighbor is as crunchy as they come. She had a bad experience for her first two labors, so she had the next two at home. Despite unstable MS. Without a car to take her to the hospital. Without a midwife.

I support homebirths. But there is a right way and a wrong way to do it. The wrong way? Not putting your baby's needs first.

Edit: I don't think this horror story is completely without value. Because it shows how not to do it. That being said, you can get that message across other ways. So for my nervous mamas, my SIL had her last two kids at home, and the births were so beautiful. Both were water births, in what looked like a giant kiddie pool. Everyone was fine. The only problem was that they needed a passport quickly for my nephew and, well, babies don't know how to look at the camera!

Thank you Vicki for my awesome siggy!!

Last edited by rebeccabaltimore and more; October 28th, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
October 28th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Super Mommy
What I took away from this was just to really do your research. I could never be a home birth, for medical and personal reasons, but I think it's good to hear some of the things that could go wrong with home birth.

I just think Ken-2 seemed freaked out by what can go wrong and wanted us all to be well researched in our choices.
ken-2 and emilyeeb like this.

Lucas Xavier is here! Born 4/24/2014 at 10:47pm
7 pounds 6 ounces
20.5 inches long

October 28th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londons Butterfly View Post
I've had 4 perfect uncomplicated births. I would love I have this baby at home or in a birth center, but my insurance covers a birth center 3 hours away there is one an hour away but I'd have to pay out of pocket which my husband refuses to do. I live in Louisiana where I don't really get a say in my birth. Oh I can tell them what I want and fight them on it. But they didn't listen the last time. I felt bullied and pressured into getting the epidural. Yes my baby was born three hours after I got there and everything was perfect afterwards, I didn't get to hold my baby right away. I couldn't walk for hours. And I was more tired being there getting blood checks and bp checks throughout the night.

Everyone's birth is going to be different. You can't always base an upcoming birth on a previous one. You can not base your birth of of what happened to someone else.

The mother in the story should have known she was at higher risk and stuck with a hospital. It sucks sure but why can't we think of the safety of ourselves and our baby's. The midwife should har known not to take her as a patient. Educated choices ladies. If you don't know ask. If you can't find the info yourself ask. Don't rush in o any decisions without getting information.

I get basically zippo say in what they do in the hospital too and it sucks! What's worse is in Germany you don't even know who will be delivering your baby unless you pay out of pocket to have a private midwife attend. There aren't really birth plans...I did have the midwife write down requests of mine during our tour but they were completely ignored...I asked them not to ask me if I wanted pain meds, for delayed cord clamping etc. It was as if they didn't even look at what I wanted. I hope you have a better experience next time! Mine certainly could have been worse but I just wish I had more say in what was going on.
Londons Butterfly likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search