Bummer...

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By inyourhonor
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 29th, 2013, 08:02 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Remember how I switched to a midwife center? I was on the fence about a planned hospital birth with my midwife present, but was heavily leaning in that direction because 1) I'd be released from the birth center after 4-6 hours 2) I am nervous about no possibility of epidural with first baby.

Well I had my first appointment there today, and it was wonderful except...the midwife told me they recently changed their policies and are no longer doing planned hospital births She said she'd talk to the head midwife b/c I had already signed on as a patient and went through orientation (this was not a policy at orientation 3 weeks ago, it was still an option).

They still do transfers to the designated hospital for things like stalled labor, if the mother wants an epidural or other IV pain relief, or if there is an emergency of course.

Sigh. This complicates things a bit.
October 29th, 2013, 08:29 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would hope that since you signed up and went through the orientation prior to their change, they'd honor it. If not, I would definitely seek other options if you could. That really bites!
mkljmom likes this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 29th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow you would think if they were going to make that major a change they would have notified you in advance Hopefully they will make an exception for you!

October 29th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope that they make an exception for you!

October 29th, 2013, 12:42 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
That's frustrating. I'd think since you signed an earlier policy they'd honor it as well.

October 29th, 2013, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Is the birth center close to a hopsital?

Apparently my birth center discharges people 2-4 hours after birth! I guess if the mom doesnt want to go home yet they can send you over to the hospital. It seems so crazy soon afterwards lol I was still sleeping 2 hours after. Now I dont know what to do either but there is a hospital a 5min drive down the road so maybe ill just stick to the birth center. I do recall with the first one that i wanted the Heck out of the hospital ASAP but I had to stay so much longer because I had the epidural and it had to totally ware off before I was even allowed out of bed to shower, it sucked so BAD.

October 29th, 2013, 01:00 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's quite normal for a birth center that isn't affiliated with hospitals to send you home early. I can't speak for hospital affiliated ones though. I'd take a day, or less. I was in the hospital from the 3rd to the 7th!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 29th, 2013, 07:08 PM
emilyeeb's Avatar Veteran
I sure hope they let you have your labor at the hospital. I gave birth on a Tuesday night and went home midday that Friday. I did not have an epidural but was still pretty tired, nervous, excited, and scared all at once. I liked having the nurses advise me for the first few days. My husband was deployed at the time and I didn't have any reason to rush home. I picked out meals from their extensive menu and just laid in bed admiring my baby while my meals were prepared and delivered. No household stresses to worry about and I think it really gave me a head start on recovering. The doctor examined me and my baby everyday and put my mind at ease that things were going great. She was given a hearing test among others to make sure she was healthy as could be. This time around, I will have to consider being away from my daughter while I am there. I am not sure how I feel about it just yet.
Also, you are smart for making sure you have the option for pain management during your labor. You just never know what is going to happen. I kept putting off the epidural, but because I was so tensed up, I had stopped dilating. Finally, I agreed to an intrathecal. Unknown to me at that time, had I not taken something to calm all my muscles and responses down, the nurses and doctor were discussing an emergency c-section because I had been in stalled labor for 8 hours and my baby's heart rate was of concern.

Thank you for my siggy Jaidynsmum!

October 29th, 2013, 07:23 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilyeeb View Post
I sure hope they let you have your labor at the hospital. I gave birth on a Tuesday night and went home midday that Friday. I did not have an epidural but was still pretty tired, nervous, excited, and scared all at once. I liked having the nurses advise me for the first few days. My husband was deployed at the time and I didn't have any reason to rush home. I picked out meals from their extensive menu and just laid in bed admiring my baby while my meals were prepared and delivered. No household stresses to worry about and I think it really gave me a head start on recovering. The doctor examined me and my baby everyday and put my mind at ease that things were going great. She was given a hearing test among others to make sure she was healthy as could be. This time around, I will have to consider being away from my daughter while I am there. I am not sure how I feel about it just yet.
Also, you are smart for making sure you have the option for pain management during your labor. You just never know what is going to happen. I kept putting off the epidural, but because I was so tensed up, I had stopped dilating. Finally, I agreed to an intrathecal. Unknown to me at that time, had I not taken something to calm all my muscles and responses down, the nurses and doctor were discussing an emergency c-section because I had been in stalled labor for 8 hours and my baby's heart rate was of concern.
This! All of this. You pretty much wrote what's been swirling in my brain. Someone else said this before, but I feel like I should totally take advantage of the adjustment period in the hospital. I typically don't do so well after surgery/medical situations (I feel like I take longer to heal/recover from pain meds, whatever).

Thank you, I feel like I need to be real with myself, have what I need at my disposal (be it pain meds or whatever) and just expect that I can't predict what's going to happen or how I'll react or feel.
ashleyjo likes this.
October 29th, 2013, 11:22 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
Maybe it's something you should discuss with your midwife and see what their take is on it. Maybe they might have some insight that would help you to decide what is right for you. I hope you're able to have the perfect birth and delivery you want

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search