Anyone else not following the guidelines?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2013, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
So when I was pregnant with DD I adamantly followed all of the "rules" for what not to eat during pregnancy. This time around I've been more lax. My doc never even gave me a list of guidelines so I don't think they are as strict here. After all, it is a country where people drink milk straight from the tap, eat raw meat and eggs etc.

Tell me there are others out there that don't follow everything to a t as well?! I've been having raw eggs when I make aioli (a homemade Spanish garlic mayonnaise) and mouse au chocolat, although I do sanitize the outside of the egg (read the inside is actually sterile, it's the outside that can be risky). Also wouldn't hesitate to eat sushi but don't have the opportunity to eat it often enough. The only thing I have really been avoiding is lunch meat and unpasteurized cheese/milk but I don't consume those things much anyway. And alcohol of course, although when we make fondue I will add it (you basically cook off all the alcohol anyway)

November 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been so sick I will eat or drink whatever it is at that moment that I feel I can keep down or would help my tummy.

I wasnt so sick with my son so I was a lot more careful. Even at the start with this one I was careful, but it just hasnt worked out that well.

November 2nd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm following all rules to the letter of the law (this is my second) and then some (no caffeine for example as opposed to moderation) I was actually more lax with number one but after 3.5 years of fertility treatments with a m/c thrown in for good measure I am just super paranoid at this point! I remember not being particularly careful about lunchmeat in particular with DS but there have been so many outbreaks of listeria lately I'm just cutting it out altogether at this point.

Although we did go out for fondue last night which of course had alcohol in it but I figure it all basically cooks out (plus its a small amount anyway).

November 2nd, 2013, 12:57 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm pretty paranoid and am trying to do the no naughty stuff too, like no caffeinated soft drinks or deli meats or the raw stuff. I would kill for a coke and some sushi though, but probably mainly just because I shouldn't have it . The coke thing has been pretty bad lately and I never really even drank it before except on the odd occasion.

November 2nd, 2013, 01:31 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't follow the rules, I limit things. I at times crave hot dogs (I know, gross), I eat lunch meat without microwaving it. I've had feta cheese, caffeine (albeit this is a treat) I also lick the batter if I'm baking.

The most of the rules I follow is just tylenol.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 2nd, 2013, 01:48 PM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I have cut back on caffeine but deinately drink more than you are supposed to. I haven't had mincemeat or soft cheese, etc. But I don't think it sounds good. I quit smoking (for the most part, I sneak one every once in awhile) and of course gave up wine and beer. I'm not too paranoid about it.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
November 2nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
I don't follow the rules, I limit things. I at times crave hot dogs (I know, gross), I eat lunch meat without microwaving it. I've had feta cheese, caffeine (albeit this is a treat) I also lick the batter if I'm baking.

The most of the rules I follow is just tylenol.
Feta cheese is on the ok list as far as I know . Same with cottage and cream cheese because they're processed.

November 2nd, 2013, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
Feta cheese is on the ok list as far as I know . Same with cottage and cream cheese because they're processed.
Back when I was pregnant with my first or second, I can't remember which, it was supposedly a big no no. Then again, I tend to not listen to what I'm told
bella88 likes this.

Killian's Birth Story
November 2nd, 2013, 02:59 PM
Feta cheese is freakin tasty, I'm glad they changed their mind

November 2nd, 2013, 03:44 PM
It is! I could just topple my salads with that, yum.

Killian's Birth Story
November 2nd, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Im my defense I was heavily addicted to my early grey tea. I have totally cut it out. No caffeine at all here now. I drink hot lemon water with honey now...woo hoo

There are other things like that are on the no list that I wont eat... but then there are things like egg or cheese that I will eat for sure.

my biggest concern is how much processed food I am eating.... but here I sit with a bag of cheezies mmmmmm

November 2nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have been following, but not to a t. I eat lunchmeat still, not often, but every couple of weeks, I will have a delicious ham sandwich, and 3-4 times a week I will have a single shot PSL. I cannot stand the way the decaf makes it taste, so I just dropped from a 2 shot to 1 shot. other than that I follow pretty regularly

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
November 2nd, 2013, 06:35 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I eat lunchmeat and drink caffeine
NurseMommy19 likes this.

November 2nd, 2013, 07:24 PM
emilyeeb's Avatar Veteran
It depends on how my stomach is doing. If I am sick feeling, anything goes. I mostly cheat with lunch meat and processed high sugar or high sodium crap food. Although, sometimes I microwave the meat. I have been used to drinking decaf since last pregnancy because I never stopped nursing and found the caffeine made me more insanely thirsty and shaky when I got hungry. (It used to not!) But I haven't been having any coffee lately...starting to miss it. I think I will be able to stomach it soon.

Thank you for my siggy Jaidynsmum!

November 2nd, 2013, 08:58 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm definitely not hardcore sticking to the rules. America is the only country that likes to give definitive rules to pregnant women. The rest of the world, particularly Europe and Asia, are much more relaxed. In France, women are merely recommended to limit their alcoholic beverages to one a day (usually wine). Now I'm not about to start drinking again but it shows that there are some 'rules' that don't need to be hard and fast.
I'm still eating sushi, although I don't have the same craving for it that I did prepregnancy. I'm eating sandwiches without warming up the meat first (though I should watch that since we had all that ridiculous flooding not too long ago).
My sister said it pretty well: you're basically supposed to go paleo for this.
Yeah no. I'm just starting to get my normal appetite back. I'm eating!

As for medicines and such...I try to stick to that list. Pharmaceuticals scare me more than food ever will.

Funny thing though, I asked my mom what she ate when she was pregnant with me since she decided to tell me 10 times that I needed to eat organic and healthy and nothing less. You know what she had with me? A Coca-Cola slurpie. Every single day.
November 2nd, 2013, 11:20 PM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
I've followed most of the rules,

I've had an aversion to coffee since finding out I'm pregnant, and I don't really like Coke.

I've dipped some wings into blue cheese a couple of times, which is funny, because I don't really like it, lol.

I've had eggs, but they've been cooked well and I've been craving them.

I've cheated a few times with soft serve ice cream I few times, I really crave it!!!

I've avoided alcohol, I'm tempted, but I feel too guilty even to sip.

I've had hot dogs, but they've probably all been overcooked, if anything. I hate lunch meat, so that's no problem, lol.

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
November 3rd, 2013, 05:30 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I stick to most of the rules. The only one I dont is coffee and pop..my husband works out of town all week and its just me and the kids...I NEED a jumpstart I limit to 2 drinks a day..either 2 cups of coffee or 2 cans of pop..usually the coffee wins.

I lost our first baby at 12 weeks and I've had miscarriages since then so 9 months isnt that long to give up soft cheeses/alcohol/cold lunch meat for me as a precaution. I more than make up for it when the baby is born..gorging on all the no no's..well except alcohol I'm too tired for that for months lol.
LUSHaye likes this.

November 3rd, 2013, 06:10 AM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
Soft cheeses are ok as long as they're pasteurized. Even the brie in my grocery store is pasteurized. Sushi, I have always stuck to the veggie ones anyway. I drink coffee, but not until I'm feeling the effects, just enough to prevent a headache. I eat lunchmeat to. I've always cut out everything pretty much in previous pregnancies, not sure why I'm more relaxed in this one. I do follow medication rules and I have cut out alcohol, because FAS has be pounded into my head for years. I do have a friend that used to have a glass of wine while pregnant.
November 3rd, 2013, 09:05 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSHaye View Post
As for medicines and such...I try to stick to that list. Pharmaceuticals scare me more than food ever will.
Yep, me too on this. I am way more worried about taking things, even though I've had to.

My midwife told me just last week that she is fine with two cups of coffee everyday. I was really surprised! Maybe it's because I have no health issues and low b/p. I can't even get down 1/4 of a cup, it still doesn't taste right

As for the other stuff, I've had hot dogs that were steamed very well, and I've heated lunchmeat. I have not done near as well as limiting processed foods as I wanted to. Actually I kinda feel like I failed in that department so far.

THANK YOU LORD about the feta. I love that darn cheese!
November 3rd, 2013, 12:37 PM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
I haven't really changed anything because I don't eat anything with raw egg or meat in it anyway, and I don't like soft cheeses that are unpasteurized. I don't eat sushi and I don't eat seafood, I don't drink caffeine often either. I will have it here and there like at a restaurant. The worst has been prenatal vitamins lol. I'm convinced they make me feel sick so I end up taking them like once a week oops. I eat lunch meat here and there, sometimes it's heated in a bagel sandwich or in a ham and grilled cheese sandwich, sometimes not at all. Oh and I lift over 25 pounds, my son is 38 pounds and insists I pick him up still lol. I try not to all the time but sometimes I do.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search