Not how I was hoping my appointment would go

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By inyourhonor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 6th, 2013, 12:35 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Had my OB appointment today, ended up coming home with a urine jug to do the 24 hour collection.

I've never had high BP in my life, I've always been consistently low. Never had high BP with my previous pregnancies. Well, my last appointment I had a high bp, but I chalked it up to being mad because I had been cut off on my way to the dr office.

Then today, I'm calm as a cucumber, happy, etc. Go in, 1st reading was 154/70, I'm usually sitting at 110/60. So doctor comes in, asks if I've had a high bp before and I said no, told her how I usually am. She said they'll do another reading before I leave.

Got to hear the heartbeat! That made it all worth it. And definitely put my mind at ease! She gave me a script for headache pills because tylenol isn't doing anything. And for my lovely acne that isn't going away no matter what I do at home.

So, they take my bp again. 140/70. 140 was the cut off number, so I got to leave with a lovely orange jug and bright yellow hazard bag.

She isn't sure it's the pregnancy, she thinks it's me. I have a history in my family of high blood pressure. Both my parents have it, it caused a stroke for my dad. She said in most (we're not ruling it out) pregnancies, high bp doesn't usually become an issue till after 20 weeks if it's going to become an issue. So she's thinking I started getting high bp before the pregnancy. I was at the dr a month before I was pregnant (when I had a chemical) and my bp was normal. So, who knows. Me or pregnancy, either way, it's one of them.

They want to see how much protein I'm spilling. So if I have to do it again later in my pregnancy, they will be able to see how much now and compare it to then. So I'll start that tomorrow morning, go in Friday morning and hand over the jug and get blood drawn.

Oh yay. Next appt is Dec 4th. I get to do an early glucose test. Then after that we'll schedule my anatomy scan. So by the looks of it, we'll be finding out after Christmas. Poo. I guess it's good because my husband didn't think he'd be able to get a day off in Dec anyways.

So thats my not so fun and lovely update. Hearing the heartbeat made all this worth it though. And while I'm not a fan of being with an OB office, I had a gut feeling that I needed to go this route this time. My gut has never been wrong. I do like my OB, she's nice, thorough and caring. Here's to hoping my BP is down on Dec 4th!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 6th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
THere are 3 of us doing a 24 hour urine collection tomorrow! I hope it all goes well. I am glad they are being proactive this early for you!

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
November 6th, 2013, 12:51 PM
Three of us?! Oh geeze! Glad I'm not alone in this oh so fun adventure.

So am I. It's just scary to think it could be me and NOT the pregnancy (although, that's not an ideal situation either!). Especially knowing my parents history

Killian's Birth Story
November 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Boo I had PIH with DS but it didn't kick in until 34 weeks. Just an FYI the headaches could be due to your b/p. That was one of my first symptoms and how I could always tell when it spiked - the worst headache that nothing would touch. The good news is it sounds like your bottom number was ok and that is the most important one.

November 6th, 2013, 12:56 PM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
bummer but I am glad eveything seems okay with the baby! I was high (for me) at my last appointment and they blew me off. I'm glad they are taking it seriously even if you do have do to the lovely pee collection.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
November 6th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna26 View Post
Boo I had PIH with DS but it didn't kick in until 34 weeks. Just an FYI the headaches could be due to your b/p. That was one of my first symptoms and how I could always tell when it spiked - the worst headache that nothing would touch. The good news is it sounds like your bottom number was ok and that is the most important one.
She took note of my headaches, but I've dealt with them long before my pregnancy. I'm just one of those lucky people that gets almost daily headaches. And my usual go to, Excedrin, I can't take during pregnancy and Tylenol barely ever touches them.

We're keeping an eye on those as well, because I knew it could be a causing factor. But since I've had them prior, it's hard to tell, you know?

Yeah, I'm glad my bottom was only 10 over my normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkljmom View Post
bummer but I am glad eveything seems okay with the baby! I was high (for me) at my last appointment and they blew me off. I'm glad they are taking it seriously even if you do have do to the lovely pee collection.
I'm very glad they're being proactive about it. Even if it's not ideal, because who really wants to collect their pee for 24 hours? I'm glad they're having me do it and we're keeping an eye on everything.

Killian's Birth Story
November 6th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh man. I had PIH that had the eventual result of pre-e. I hope it doesn't turn into that for you. It was all kinds of non fun.

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

November 6th, 2013, 01:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you have to do that! I had high bp several appts in a row last time (150's/70's& 80's I think) but then it got better; I never had to do the urine collection though. I think it had to do with the fact that I was walking to the appointments (about a 15-20min walk) and also up a few flights of stairs; my doctor also said that it was too early on to be from the pregnancy. I hope yours comes down by itself like mine did!

November 6th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Glad you got to hear babies heart rate, that's always a wonderful thing. Sorry about the rest though. But glad they are being proactive and not waiting it out.
I'm doing my 24 hour urine tomorrow too, and I did my early glucose test today, belch!

November 6th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea1122 View Post
Glad you got to hear babies heart rate, that's always a wonderful thing. Sorry about the rest though. But glad they are being proactive and not waiting it out.
I'm doing my 24 hour urine tomorrow too, and I did my early glucose test today, belch!
I guess I was supposed to have my early glucose today also, but there was a miss-communication at my last appointment. So I'll be doing it my next one, blech.

Killian's Birth Story
November 6th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope whatever your blood pressure issue is they can fix it easily. Ive had slight issues with mine too and im scared they might come back.

Can I ask what she is giving you for your skin? Mine is so bad its depressed as heck

November 6th, 2013, 07:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
I hope whatever your blood pressure issue is they can fix it easily. Ive had slight issues with mine too and im scared they might come back.

Can I ask what she is giving you for your skin? Mine is so bad its depressed as heck
I hope you don't have any issues with yours. And thank you, me too.

She gave me a script for Clindamycin Phosphate 1%. I am to apply it 2 times a day, morning and night. It's a lotion.

Killian's Birth Story
November 6th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh!! that is the stuff I was on before I got knocked up. I asked the dr if I could stay on it and she sounded really positive about it, she knew about it. then she looked it up online to check on it for pregnancy and was kind of like.. ok well its up to you if you feel its necessary and then I felt kind of guilty. I have some of it that i used once in a while but it honestly only works if you use it every day.

I was on it before because I was breaking out so bad before my wedding from hormones and stress. I wasnt going to deal with that for my wedding day. it worked great and my skin was as good as its ever been in my life! lol

honestly at this point I would have to slather it on my chest and back too.. id run out of it in no time lol

ok im rambling now lol I should go to sleep

November 7th, 2013, 05:56 AM
Haha, I'm glad to know it works! I'll deal with the rest elsewhere, but my face? Yeah, I'd like to not look like I'm 12 again.

Rambling happens to the best of us
Nel likes this.

Killian's Birth Story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search