(tv talk) 'A Baby Story' on TLC

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By Londons Butterfly
  • 1 Post By sarav
  • 1 Post By Nel
  • 2 Post By LUSHaye

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 22nd, 2013, 06:34 AM
StilettoGirlMama's Avatar Veteran
Does anybody watch this show?

Before getting pregnant I used to watch it all of the time. But now, I HATE IT! This is the most annoying show to me about pregnancy and birth.

I feel like they find the weakest women I have ever seen and all they do is complain.

Trust me I know this road isn't going to be easy, I have had my moments. My first trimester was hard everyday and moving forward IDK what is to come. But this show makes birth seem like it is the worst thing for a woman to go through.

I did watch "The Business of Being Born," now there are some amazing women on there!

What do you think of the show?
November 22nd, 2013, 06:44 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I havent watched it in a long time. I have had friends with terribly complicated and honestly..awful pregnancies though. When you get to the 3rd trimester..and are weeks away from getting that watermelon out of your belly even the most appreciative laid back easy going pregnant mama's can turn into diva's and whiners LOL. You cant breathe..your whole body might hurt...you waddle EVERYWHERE....you might feel like you are so big you are going to burst at the seams...lol. Its can be hard....BUT I do agree that that show doesnt really do anyone any favors in regards to pregnancy and birth. It has a lot of misinformation on it.

November 22nd, 2013, 06:55 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I used too, then my husband banned me from it, haha.

He was sick of me yelling at the TV.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 22nd, 2013, 09:20 AM
Veteran
I used to watch it as well. But then I would get so upset, this is my first pregnancy and the show would make it seem that all my ideas of what Im wanting for my birth is going to go out the window.. Then I watched The business of being born and I felt alot better and stopped watching The baby story.

November 22nd, 2013, 10:22 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I watch it everyday. I'm obsessed. And I get angry with some of the decisions that are made by everyone. But overall I take iron to learn what can or can't happen. I'm a birth junkie.
babyfever416 and mkljmom like this.

Scarlett Diane

November 22nd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Super Mommy
I used to watch it. Now, less frequently. I just cry at the end when I see the new baby. lol. What a sobbing mess I have become.
girlsofsummer likes this.

Lucas Xavier is here! Born 4/24/2014 at 10:47pm
7 pounds 6 ounces
20.5 inches long

November 22nd, 2013, 11:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When I was pregnant with my first I watched it all the time. I do not like it at all anymore. Havent watched it at all since I came home with him from the hospital 6 years ago lol
Kellylovesricky likes this.

November 22nd, 2013, 11:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't like the show it really portrays pregnant wemon as sick, helpless, and baby's in danger and then oh here comes the doctor to the rescue... If they showed normal births the show wouldn't have viewers tho.

November 22nd, 2013, 01:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I haven't watched it in years...certainly not since being pregnant or having my daughter so back when I watched it I couldn't really compare it to real life.

I do sometimes watch One Born Every Minute. Love that show! I've only seen the British version though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
I havent watched it in a long time. I have had friends with terribly complicated and honestly..awful pregnancies though. When you get to the 3rd trimester..and are weeks away from getting that watermelon out of your belly even the most appreciative laid back easy going pregnant mama's can turn into diva's and whiners LOL. You cant breathe..your whole body might hurt...you waddle EVERYWHERE....you might feel like you are so big you are going to burst at the seams...lol. Its can be hard....BUT I do agree that that show doesnt really do anyone any favors in regards to pregnancy and birth. It has a lot of misinformation on it.

This was me at the end! lol I'm usually a pretty laid back/ not moody person but the last couple weeks I had some breakdowns. The combination of being uncomfortable/ sick of dealing with my diabetes during pregnancy and being anxious about giving birth really threw me into some crazy emotional states. haha I hope that doesn't happen again. God bless my husband for dealing with that!

November 22nd, 2013, 02:41 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Do not watch a baby's first day if you hate a baby story lol it seems like they're all inductions and at least 50% of them end up c-sections. I actually find a baby story pretty realistic except when the women do a lot of screaming. The only screaming I do in labor is for an epidural. Otherwise I don't want to waste any energy doing anything else other than getting the baby out lol. Oh and I've never screamed when the baby came out either so that seems unrealistic. That said, if someone was taping me during pregnancy I would be doing a lot of complaining. I get never ending nausea, coupled with acid reflux that burns and burns and gets worse the further along I go, I also got hemorrhoids from my first birth and they flared up really bad my last pregnancy and that pain is indescribable, I also get insomnia towards the end so I'm tired, and I retain a lot of water so my feet swell up which really hurts. So, I find that there's plenty to complain about. Oh and my last pregnancy- I threw up at least once a week until giving birth from brushing my teeth. That said, labor is short compared to 9 months and at least you get a beautiful baby at the end. This is my third and everyone has been planned- so obviously, all the discomfort is beyond worth it and ill probably go through it again after this...but I probably won't enjoy it.
November 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
When I was pregnant with my first I watched it all the time. I do not like it at all anymore. Havent watched it at all since I came home with him from the hospital 6 years ago lol
This.

November 24th, 2013, 06:41 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree, I would watch that show before I was pregnant, then when I was I couldn't stand it either! I haven't watched it since!

November 24th, 2013, 07:06 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I thought about watching it again on Netflix. But I've been more interested in the midwife shows I can find on YouTube.
As far as I can remember, A Baby Story made everything seem so dramatic and traumatizing and just not really giving any information that moms-to-be would actually look for. Just more for entertainment than anything.
Glad I found the midwife shows. They make me feel a lot better about giving birth and my options and all that jazz.
November 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav View Post
I just cry at the end when I see the new baby. lol. What a sobbing mess I have become.
Hahaha! This!

I bawled watching "Sons of Anarchy" the other night. You know how many crying moments there are in that show for normal people? Zero. So pathetic.
November 25th, 2013, 04:13 AM
StilettoGirlMama's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSHaye View Post
I thought about watching it again on Netflix. But I've been more interested in the midwife shows I can find on YouTube.
As far as I can remember, A Baby Story made everything seem so dramatic and traumatizing and just not really giving any information that moms-to-be would actually look for. Just more for entertainment than anything.
Glad I found the midwife shows. They make me feel a lot better about giving birth and my options and all that jazz.
EXACTLY - before seeing any midwife shows, watching Baby Story made me terrified of giving birth. I have no idea what to expect as I have never given birth before, but that show made me never look forward to it.

I watched an episode and a woman was saying having a glow was a lie, pregnancy was horrible, etc.

Thanks a lot, lady. Blah.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search