Nursery blahs

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer
  • 1 Post By Kellylovesricky

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 23rd, 2013, 04:00 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
When do folks generally start working on the nursery? I know it depends on a few things.
I'm thinking like 6 months is a good time. Before I start getting ginormous and tired again. And of course in the event that I have to go on bed rest -let's hope not!- I want everything to just be ready to go.

But there's a fairly big issue right now. The room that the nursery WOULD be in is currently a disaster zone. My sister has been living with me for over a year now and STILL has done absolutely nothing to that room. I don't even remember what the floor looks like. I haven't had a living room since she moved in because of it. And since bun is going to be taking priority, you'd think she'd move it along. I mean it's been a YEAR. I'm going to have to give her an ultimatum since her idea of 'later' is 'never.'

There's the painting, the cleaning, the assembling, the arranging...

Blarrrrrrrrrg
November 23rd, 2013, 04:09 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel you- we had two girls and now are having a boy. Our nursery is pink on pink on pink. I really don't want to paint it but it has to happen!!! So, one of these days I'll pick a color. I picked a theme that I think is going to be impossible too- where the wild things are...we're naming him Max- original I know so now I have to come up with some way to make the theme work without actually having the bedding etc be themed since it's impossible to find!! This would be so much better if we had an unlimited budget
girlsofsummer likes this.
November 23rd, 2013, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I started around 6 months with DS but didn't get it finished before I was put on bed rest at 34 weeks so DH and my Dad did what they could and I finished the rest after he was born. My plan is to really start on it in January after the holidays and hopefully be mostly done by the end of February.

November 23rd, 2013, 07:11 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
I'm thinking January as well. I get so blah after the holidays are over and winter really sets in, and then I get *really* blah when football season is over. So it'll be nice to have a project.

Lushaye I hear you on the mess part. The nursery is currently an "office," aka "the room that never became an office that just holds every ounce of junk that we have nowhere to put." I am dreading cleaning it out.
mkljmom likes this.
November 23rd, 2013, 07:39 PM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post

Lushaye I hear you on the mess part. The nursery is currently an "office," aka "the room that never became an office that just holds every ounce of junk that we have nowhere to put." I am dreading cleaning it out.
This is our exact situation..except our junk room will become Mikey's new room, and then his nursery/ room will become the new nursery. So much to do...so little time!
girlsofsummer likes this.

November 24th, 2013, 07:01 AM
January is probably going to be the starting time point of nursery getting-togethering...ness. Especially since SO's family is throwing me a shower when we visit for Christmas (they're a lovely 8 hour drive away). And that stuff is going to have to go somewhere.
Plus, I'd really like my living room back. Like now.
November 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM
Veteran
I have my nursery theme picked out but, havent actually started putting it together. I really dont have much baby stuff yet. Then again its still really early I think to start that for me. Im only barely into my second trimester.

November 24th, 2013, 08:57 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With my middle son, his bedroom was a storage room. We moved in, that's where the unwanted stuff we didn't want to unpack went. Well, I was due in Nov of that year, so in Sept we started. I sat down, started going through everything. I emptied it in a week because my goal was to have everything figured out by trash day. It worked out.

Then we painted and started getting the rest of it together. We finished at the end of Oct.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
November 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
I'm not doing a thing until we move lol. But really, I probably won't even have a nursery. My son never had one either haha. We will be moving in February (but that is a big mess in itself...) since my husband is in the military, we have to wait until we arrive to the new base to check in for housing and we know there is a wait list. We have no idea if we will even get into housing on base before the baby's born. Lots of unknowns lol.

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

November 24th, 2013, 10:32 AM
dindin's Avatar Veteran
We just started looking at furniture.

1/12 3/13
November 24th, 2013, 11:06 AM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
Wish I had a nursery to decorate. The only time I had a room to decorate I finished it 2 days before I gave birth LOL
November 24th, 2013, 03:11 PM
So many ladies moving!
We were going to and family had suggested it since we're so far away...but we're really not. If we moved, we'd be further from the hospital and I don't really like that idea. They just want us closer to them but unless they're going to put up the deposit and first month's rent for us, I'm not moving an inch. Besides, the school district where we're at is ideal. So we would move closer just to end up moving back in a few years.
November 24th, 2013, 04:58 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We bought carpet a few weeks ago and ripped up the stuff we wanted to replace. We also bought paint a fortnight ago and started painting this weekend. Waiting until the painting is finished to put the new carpet down. I know it's early but, seeing as we are repainting and recarpeting and taking our time doing it, it's probably not that early.

November 24th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSHaye View Post
When do folks generally start working on the nursery? I know it depends on a few things.
I'm thinking like 6 months is a good time. Before I start getting ginormous and tired again. And of course in the event that I have to go on bed rest -let's hope not!- I want everything to just be ready to go.

But there's a fairly big issue right now. The room that the nursery WOULD be in is currently a disaster zone. My sister has been living with me for over a year now and STILL has done absolutely nothing to that room. I don't even remember what the floor looks like. I haven't had a living room since she moved in because of it. And since bun is going to be taking priority, you'd think she'd move it along. I mean it's been a YEAR. I'm going to have to give her an ultimatum since her idea of 'later' is 'never.'

There's the painting, the cleaning, the assembling, the arranging...

Blarrrrrrrrrg
I would give your sister a date - like the middle of December. If she can't move her things by then, tell her you will be getting rid of it. You will be getting stuff for Christmas I'm sure, and you will need a place for it too. Ultimatums suck, but it sounds like she is overstaying her welcome. Sorry you have to deal with this.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
November 24th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Super Mommy
My nursery is our junk room. Like other members here, it's where I have unpacked boxes and random stuff. It was also the previous owner's nursery. It's a hideous yellow with horrible hand drawn safari animals outlined in nail polish.

At this point, we are looking at painting the room gray. Then we will have color accents throughout the room. We will also be including some sci fi themes. We just bought the glider for the nursery. The other furniture will probably be bought over the holidays with all the sales. DH wants the nursery done by end of February. I've got a lot of clean out to do lol.

Lucas Xavier is here! Born 4/24/2014 at 10:47pm
7 pounds 6 ounces
20.5 inches long

November 24th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
*HUGS* I am dealing with a huge mess issue right now too. I moved into my fiances town house in May last year but we got married in Aug. So for those months I did nothing with unpacking, only a crazy amount of DIY wedding stuff.

We got back from honeymoon and started working on uncluttering the garage where all my stuff was. We had to do it to make room in the garage for all the junk that was/is in the room where baby will go. Well that is still not done. I got so darn sick I couldnt help and DH is unmotivated to do more. I kind yelled at him recently that if he wants his fancy Trans AM off the street and out of the snow bank he better deal with it... HE spent all of today in there i currently hear him moving the trans am outta the snow bank, I am hoping there is progress lol

With my first I didnt paint and all that stuff till 6 months

November 24th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndsey2013 View Post
I would give your sister a date - like the middle of December. If she can't move her things by then, tell her you will be getting rid of it. You will be getting stuff for Christmas I'm sure, and you will need a place for it too. Ultimatums suck, but it sounds like she is overstaying her welcome. Sorry you have to deal with this.
That's what I'm thinking. I was thinking about the end of December, but she's already had SO MUCH TIME that it's really just pushing it.
And yeah, for Christmas we're visiting SO's family and they're throwing me a shower at that time since they aren't in town. So that stuff has to go somewhere. It's going to be a bummer because unless she gets her act together, I will basically be kicking her out. I need the space and I want to actually have my condo back and that includes having a living room. I have bigger things to worry about now and they are taking major priority in my home.
November 25th, 2013, 09:27 AM
Veteran
I'm thinking I will start after the holidays. The babys room is currently my sons toy room so we have a lot to go thru and donate since he doesn't play with 90% of the toys in there. We have quite a bit to do still. I know I will be getting gifts for christmas as well so we will need a place to put those things.
November 25th, 2013, 02:31 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
We'll probably start once we know the gender. We have almost the same problem. We are renting a 3 bedroom duplex right now, and DF has taken over one of the rooms as his man cave. It looks like a tornado swept through his room, there's crap everywhere. I keep telling him that he needs to clean it out so we can get started on it, but he is taking his sweet time. He was supposed to start cleaning it out in September...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search