to chop my hair or not chop my hair, what would you do?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 2nd, 2013, 10:53 AM
Veteran
Has anyone else been losing ungodly amounts of hair? I have always had a thick head of thin hair, which holds absolutely no style no matter what I try. I have to even hairspray clips or barrettes to get them to stay. Anyway, my poor ponytail is half its normal size and I am 15 wks at this point. My doctor said it will eventually stop, and then start up again after delivery. I'm fine with that, but for now it is so gross to comb my hair. It is currently just below my armpits. I love having long hair. Always miss it when it's growing back out. I grow it out until it's long enough to donate and then chop it to about chin length or a little lower.

So, even though it is suppose to stop falling out so badly, half of it is at different lengths due to the new regrowth. By the time it is long enough to donate I worry it will only be a quarter of the amount I would normally have. My flyaways are crazy right now. When I tie my hair back they will come loose and give me a messy disheveled look that says I don't give a crap about my hair.

I have been trying to decide whether or not to cut it to my normal short length and start the growing out process over, or at least until post-pregnancy hair loss gets to be too much. My early hair loss regrowth is about as long as my chin now. My biggest concern with cutting it short is that I need to be able to get my hair out of my face for work. What would you do in this situation? I'm on the fence and asking everyone for input. Thanks for humoring me with this small issue.
December 2nd, 2013, 11:02 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have thick curly hair and have dealt with this since having my first almost 8 years ago. My hair is to my mid back.

If it's bugging you that much, I'd cut it. I guess I'm so used to it now that it's just normal for me. And if you need it out of your face for work, I'd cut it to where you can pull it back with some sort of clip or holder.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 2nd, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would strongly advise against cutting it, at least drastically. My hair stylist, as well as other people I have talked to, have told me that for some reason pregnant women often get this itch to cut their hair but almost always end up not liking it. My stylist advises against doing anything drastic until 6 or 8 weeks post partum, after the hormones have settled down a bit. Also, usually in pregnancy your face gets fuller in the second half...imo rounder faces tend to look better with longer hair (my face is pretty round).

That's just my opinion though. You could always start off getting it cut a little and styled and then go back to get more cut if it is still bugging you...getting it styled in a different way might be all you need to feel better about it. Obviously if you cut a lot off you can't go back.

December 2nd, 2013, 12:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had been growing my hair out for the last 5 years. It was starting to become a pain to do anything with so on a whim I went and got it cut and thinned.... I am kind of wishing i hadnt cause the chick really cut way too much off. Luckily it grows back

December 2nd, 2013, 12:42 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I cut mine off with both pregnancies..and regretted it. I'm NOT touching my hair this time no matter how badly I get the itch.
There is something about pregnancy and wanting to cut your hair..its weird!!

December 2nd, 2013, 01:50 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha I think that preggo ladies itch to get a "mum" cut and chop it all short in frustration. Your hair sounds like mine, doesn't hold a darn thing. If you love longer hair I'd say that keep it.

December 2nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the input. I think i'll continue to tough it out. It's good to know this is a normal pregnancy whim. I do have some regret after i chop it off each time but usually grow to love it quickly. Not every time. On a whim a couple years ago i got bangs for the first time since childhood. Big mistake!

You gals are great for being honest and not trying to tell me what you think i want to hear. Still surprises me how many people can't just say what they feel. I'm going to go invest in some lint rollers now.
December 2nd, 2013, 07:01 PM
Super Mommy
I totally chopped mine off a few days ago. I butchered 6 inches off and am sooooo happy! I did it for a different reason though....it was growing so fast and the nearest hair salon is 45 mins away from where I live. So off it went! Now its just below my shoulders and Im so happy!

December 2nd, 2013, 09:23 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies. I got mine cut last time and it was sooo hard to manage short. I have thin, fine hair (the best of both worlds sigh). It takes forever to style when short. At least when long I can throw it in a pony.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search