Purtussis/ whooping cough

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 3rd, 2013, 05:24 AM
amylynn82's Avatar Veteran
Just curious if anyone is planning to get the pertussis vaccine in their 3rd tri...or if you are planning to have husband/children/relatives receive their booster before baby arrives.

I personally am getting the booster in the 3rd - and requiring husband, children, grandparents, and anyone else who want to spend time with baby in the first few months to get their booster.
MrsPalumbo likes this.
December 3rd, 2013, 05:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
DD has not been vaccinated before for anything but I am planning on starting her pertussis vaccination series in January. I will not be receiving a booster myself as they do not recommend this in Germany...I don't think it is even approved for use during pregnancy. Will not be asking DH to do so either. I will also not be asking visitors to do so...if they are feeling ill I will ask them to stay away, also have them wash/sanitize their hands before holding the baby but that is where I draw the line. If DD was in day care or school it might be different but as it is we are not at a high level of exposure to infectious diseases...DD hasn't has so much as 1 case of the common cold (knock on wood) in her almost 2 years so we have been lucky. I also breastfeed and believe that will offer some protection. I *might* get the vaccine after I give birth to pass it along in the breast milk but I haven't decided.

fwiw my niece had the vaccine on time and still contracted pertussis so I am not convinced that it is all that effective. I have read reports that the change in formulation is the reason it is on the rise, not so much because people are choosing not to vaccinate. Not to mention the odds of contracting pertussis in an epidemic are about 1 in 125,000 and the odds of death are even greater. Not to mention our babies won't even be born in the peak season of pertussis. Needless to say there is a greater chance of the baby dying in a car accident on the way home from the hospital. imo it is a problem that is exaggerated by the American media. Remember when we were all going to die of swine flu? I'll take basic precautions but won't go beyond that. We aren't anti vax (well, I'm not) but are very cautious because DH's cousin died after a vaccine. Rare, yes, but because there is a personal connection to the rare occurrence it makes DH very hesitant to vaccinate.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 3rd, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
December 3rd, 2013, 06:27 AM
I have two friends who have each lost a child to pertussis in the last 3 years - one born in May and one born in July. The number of pertussis cases in my county were higher last month than any month in the last 5 years. Both of my girls are in school, my husband works with the public, and I work in a hospital. We are at a very high exposure risk. Although - that doesn't necessarily mean anything. One of the girls that lost her son was a stay at home mom - the baby was an only child - and the dad was also a low exposure risk.
Vaccines don't mean that you won't contract a virus either - but can significantly reduce the severity and the length of the illness. And hand washing doesn't do a whole lot when it comes to many viruses - pertussis included.
I don't know much about the rate of occurrence in Germany...it's not something I've researched extensively! I do know that the American government and media are good at over exaggerating though. With that being said...after seeing a 2 month old child repeatedly gasping for air during coughing fits...and ultimately die after a torturous month of the illness is enough for ME to exaggerate the need for anyone coming into contact with my baby to have the booster!
I just figure - I don't want to take any chances with my un-immunized child - and will do everything in my power to reduce the risk of exposure.
babyfever416, bella88 and joanna26 like this.
December 3rd, 2013, 06:38 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Pertussis scares me and I have known people to contract it (but not die). My friend got it while pregnant and was miserable. Her husband had recently gotten the tdap because of an accident with a saw and he did not get it. However, their 2 year old vaccinated son did get it but it was a milder case. I do not believe in the herd mentality for this reason- you can still get sick and spread the disease vaccinated or not. His case was less severe than my friends though.

I will not be receiving any vaccinations while pregnant. I got the tdap after I had my last baby 2 years ago. I shouldn't need a booster for another 8 years. My husband also got vaccinated when dd was a baby. And my 2 girls are vaccinated for that. My baby will be selectively vaccinated after birth and will receive it at 2 months old. I cannot control all the variables in my child's life. I do my research and choose the best option for myself and my family. I don't think there's been enough time/research to prove the effects of vaccines on pregnant women and their babies. That's my personal opinion- I think everyone should do their research, talk to their doctor and make an educated decision. Other than that- to each their own! There is no black and white evidence about vaccines that can cover the population as a whole!
December 3rd, 2013, 06:48 AM
I agree - it can be a very scary illness!!

I received the flu vax (while pregnant) as it was required for school and work...although, I would have received it anyway! I received the tdap as a requirement for school in 2011...but will receive it again around 30wks.

I realize none of us can control all of the variables in our children's lives...but I do what I can to help with positive outcomes wherever I can!
December 3rd, 2013, 06:50 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got it when my dd was born. both my children are vaxed for it. This baby will be as as well.

December 3rd, 2013, 07:00 AM
Just keep breathing.
Yes, I will get it, as will DH and my parents.
December 3rd, 2013, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
That's really tragic The stats I posted were on average for all of America, obviously it can vary where you are though. idk what the risks are here either, tbh. I just know that the health department here is slower at recommending vax'ing than in America. They just started recommending women get the flu vax during pregnancy in either 2011 or 2012. I might ask my ob/gyn out of curiosity but based on my online research they don't recommend a pertussis vaccination during pregnancy.

I didn't add that I did receive the flu vax during this pregnancy as well as with my daughter. I had contemplated not getting it but then realized that although DD isn't quite 2 she has turned out healthy and ahead in all milestones so that was enough to make me personally decide to get it again, not to mention I have type I diabetes and having the flu, being pregnant and having diabetes is more than I want to deal with. Like I said, we're just selective about vaxing. I didn't mean to imply you were making the wrong decision; I don't really care what people choose to do because I believe you should have the freedom to make parenting decisions without being judged.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 3rd, 2013 at 07:45 AM.
December 3rd, 2013, 07:43 AM
Super Mommy
I will definitely get it but its really one of those very personal decisions that every parent has to make for themselves and their children. I would never try to convince someone to see things my way on the vaccine debate. My kids are definitely vaccinated though. I teach preschool and have seen unvaccinated children come down with some of these horrid illnesses and personally I'd take the small risk of the vaccine anyday. Like I said, extremely personal decision. I normally don't comment on anything vaccine related since people have a tendency to fly off the deep end about it..........

December 3rd, 2013, 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
I didn't mean to imply you were making the wrong decision; I don't really care what people choose to do because I believe you should have the freedom to make parenting decisions without being judged.
I didn't take it that way at all. I've just been curious as to where others stand on this. I'm sure with all of the research I've done, I'd probably still feel this way... But, with the things that I've seen - this one may be closer to my heart than others!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellies_mom View Post
I will definitely get it but its really one of those very personal decisions that every parent has to make for themselves and their children. I would never try to convince someone to see things my way on the vaccine debate. My kids are definitely vaccinated though. I teach preschool and have seen unvaccinated children come down with some of these horrid illnesses and personally I'd take the small risk of the vaccine anyday. Like I said, extremely personal decision. I normally don't comment on anything vaccine related since people have a tendency to fly off the deep end about it..........

This post certainly wasn't to influence anyone one way or another...nor to have anyone "fly off the deep end about it".
As stated in the initial post - I was simply curious where others stood on the topic.
December 3rd, 2013, 09:16 AM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've just had a case at work and it was possible that he has there while infectious. Won't know if it has been passed to anyone else until they get it I guess. Of course my asthma has been a bit worse lately so I'm a bit paranoid about it but apparently that's normal in pregnancy too. I am strongly thinking about getting the booster in the 3rd tri. Lower risk is worth a try.

December 3rd, 2013, 09:23 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I've never gotten it. I don't know if my kids have had it, we do vax all on time. I don't get the flu shot anymore after having a reaction to it the last time I was pregnant.

Scarlett Diane

December 3rd, 2013, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
We've just had a case at work and it was possible that he has there while infectious. Won't know if it has been passed to anyone else until they get it I guess. Of course my asthma has been a bit worse lately so I'm a bit paranoid about it but apparently that's normal in pregnancy too. I am strongly thinking about getting the booster in the 3rd tri. Lower risk is worth a try.
My asthma has been awful too!! Doctor asked me to only take my steroid inhaler if I absolutely had to in the first 13 wks. I was taking it about 1 puff every 3-4 days...but that made me increase the frequency of my albuterol. I've been taking my steroid 2 puffs every other day for the last couple of weeks...but I think I'm going to have to go back to daily. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to take prednisone during this pregnancy! I have enough insomnia, hunger, mood swings, etc. without the steroids!!

Hoping everyone stays healthy and pertussis free!
December 3rd, 2013, 10:13 AM
Super Mommy
I will be getting the vax, as well as anyone who wants to be near the baby. Dallas, Texas has had an increase in cases over the past year or so, so any and all precautions will be taken for my lil boy.

Lucas Xavier is here! Born 4/24/2014 at 10:47pm
7 pounds 6 ounces
20.5 inches long

December 3rd, 2013, 10:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Amy, that's kind of how DH feels but the opposite since he knows someone who died from a vax so I totally get where you are coming from!

December 3rd, 2013, 11:18 AM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by amylynn82 View Post
My asthma has been awful too!! Doctor asked me to only take my steroid inhaler if I absolutely had to in the first 13 wks. I was taking it about 1 puff every 3-4 days...but that made me increase the frequency of my albuterol. I've been taking my steroid 2 puffs every other day for the last couple of weeks...but I think I'm going to have to go back to daily. I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that I don't have to take prednisone during this pregnancy! I have enough insomnia, hunger, mood swings, etc. without the steroids!!

Hoping everyone stays healthy and pertussis free!
I'm on budesonide one puff twice a day (well, twist and suck really lol) but it's not quite cutting it anymore and I'm getting pretty wheezy at night time so I've been taking two at night. Luckily this is one of the ones that's considered ok during pregnancy, I changed from seretide when I started TTC. I must have jinxed it by saying my asthma has been great .
amylynn82 likes this.

December 3rd, 2013, 11:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've already had all adults in my family who will have any contact with baby get their boosters and I'll get mine whenever my OB recommends. I'm 99% sure that the recommendation "here" is to get the TDAP in the hospital right after you have your baby but I plan to verify with my OB at my next appt. Texas has been hit fairly hard by pertussis recently including at least a couple of deaths. As a life-long asthma sufferer with a child with asthma I do anything possible to reduce our risk of respiratory infections. DS ends up with a severe asthma flair (either emergency doctor visit or ER) with a simple cold.
amylynn82 likes this.

December 3rd, 2013, 03:04 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. I do not trust that it is really safe during pregnancy, just like I do not take any medications while pregnant, if I am sick I tough it out... Obviously if any illness I caught were life threatening I would have to change that. But I eat for my health, and do not seem to get sick as much as most.

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
December 3rd, 2013, 04:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wont be getting any vaccines but I want my kiddo to get it and a couple others I delayed for him. Im waiting for a break in all the colds we have had before we get them though.

December 3rd, 2013, 05:17 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm getting it! And I'm making DF get it, too. I didn't think about having others get their booster, but I think I will!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search