How far are you from your hospital/birth center?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 8th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It is an 18 minute drive from our home to the hospital I (tentatively) want to give birth at. We haven't seen it yet but I like the looks of it based on the website. They do water births there and allow you to leave after 6 hours from giving birth (if all systems are go, of course) and it has a NICU. It is across the river and in a different city/state but I was very unsatisfied with the hospital I gave birth at in our town for various reasons...I will spare you the details but let's just say it really put a damper on my birth experience. Anyway, DH is making a huge deal about how far away this hospital is, even though it is only 6mins further away than the other one. There is risk that it could take longer to get there if we have to leave during rush hour or if there is an accident, but still. My labor with DD was nearly 48hrs..I highly doubt I will be one of those moms that barely makes it to the hospital in time. To make matters worse, he told his step dad that is where we are going and he also doesn't think it is a good idea. FIL and I don't get along and I'm worried he is going to try to confront me about this even though it is none of his business...he never had kids of his own so he probably thinks that the woman's water breaks dramatically and then she pushes the baby out in 30mins (this is basically what DH and one of his friends used to think until I told them otherwise lol).

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 8th, 2013 at 01:25 PM.
December 8th, 2013, 01:42 PM
Super Mommy
I don't know lol. We have a few choices. In the end it depends on what happens. At 36 weeks I get an ultrasound to check size and if baby is too big its an automatic C-section. With my DD she was 9 lbs 6 oz which I know isn't huge for some people...but I barely got her out! Even then it was a nightmare of shoulder dystocia, 3 hours of pushing, DDs heartrate plummeted, and they had to basically rip her out of me. I had a lot of stitches and a horrid time healing and she had no use of her one arm for a week or so and fluid in her lungs. So if this baby is big I don't really have a choice. And no, I didn't have gestational diabetes and I only gained 21 lbs. DHs family just has really big babies!!

The hospital In my town is about 15 minutes away. The pros for that one is that my doctor will hopefully be there and hes one of the best OBs around. But that's not even a guarantee.....its a tiny hospital with very little equipment and very few staff. Andmy OB is one of 7 that rotate so I don't know who I'd end up with.

The other hospital in the area is 45 minutes away. Its also a bit of a tough choice. Its bigger but theres a lot of really bad stories that out of that hospital. A lot of malpractice suits.....but it is bigger and has higher trained staff and better equipment. Plus they have access to air vac.

The one I'm almost tempted to go to is almost 2 hours away but is an amazing hospital! Has the best of everything. I was in labour for just under 24 hours with DD so I think I could make it. And if not I'll be passing right by the 45 minute one on the way......

So I guess we'll see! If I have a C-section I'll just go the close one though. I trust my doctor more than someone I haven't met and if it was scheduled then he'd book it on a day when he was working.

December 8th, 2013, 01:46 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm 10 minutes 15 minutes tops if we hit traffic. I wanted to stay close because my last home birth was 5 1/2 hours but when hard labor hit I couldn't move at all.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Veteran
About 8 miles, or 10 mins, but it's a bad traffic area, so probably longer.
December 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellies_mom View Post
I don't know lol. We have a few choices. In the end it depends on what happens. At 36 weeks I get an ultrasound to check size and if baby is too big its an automatic C-section. With my DD she was 9 lbs 6 oz which I know isn't huge for some people...but I barely got her out! Even then it was a nightmare of shoulder dystocia, 3 hours of pushing, DDs heartrate plummeted, and they had to basically rip her out of me. I had a lot of stitches and a horrid time healing and she had no use of her one arm for a week or so and fluid in her lungs. So if this baby is big I don't really have a choice. And no, I didn't have gestational diabetes and I only gained 21 lbs. DHs family just has really big babies!!

The hospital In my town is about 15 minutes away. The pros for that one is that my doctor will hopefully be there and hes one of the best OBs around. But that's not even a guarantee.....its a tiny hospital with very little equipment and very few staff. Andmy OB is one of 7 that rotate so I don't know who I'd end up with.

The other hospital in the area is 45 minutes away. Its also a bit of a tough choice. Its bigger but theres a lot of really bad stories that out of that hospital. A lot of malpractice suits.....but it is bigger and has higher trained staff and better equipment. Plus they have access to air vac.

The one I'm almost tempted to go to is almost 2 hours away but is an amazing hospital! Has the best of everything. I was in labour for just under 24 hours with DD so I think I could make it. And if not I'll be passing right by the 45 minute one on the way......

So I guess we'll see! If I have a C-section I'll just go the close one though. I trust my doctor more than someone I haven't met and if it was scheduled then he'd book it on a day when he was working.
I don't blame you for going for a section if this baby looks big...I've heard some scary stories about shoulder dystocia. I have type I diabetes and it is something that I worry about too...DD was 7lbs 13oz and didn't have it but it is still something that is on my mind for this one. I have read that most cases of shoulder dystocia are just random like yours was and unrelated to maternal diabetes...probably because they are closely monitoring a woman with diabetes and recommend a section if baby is looking big. As much as I want another vaginal birth, in a way there are pros to having a planned section...especially since I've heard it is much better than having an emergency one.

December 8th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
I don't blame you for going for a section if this baby looks big...I've heard some scary stories about shoulder dystocia. I have type I diabetes and it is something that I worry about too...DD was 7lbs 13oz and didn't have it but it is still something that is on my mind for this one. I have read that most cases of shoulder dystocia are just random like yours was and unrelated to maternal diabetes...probably because they are closely monitoring a woman with diabetes and recommend a section if baby is looking big. As much as I want another vaginal birth, in a way there are pros to having a planned section...especially since I've heard it is much better than having an emergency one.
Yeah sadly the thought of having shoulder dystocia again scares me more than having a C-section. I think a lot of it was just bad luck. they did an ultrasound on DD at 36 weeks and said she was already 8 lbs 10 oz so they knew she was big. No big deal though....lots of women successfully have big babies! I was kinda sad that I wasn't one of those wonderful women. I'm totally leaning towards a C-section. Thankfully my OB is amazing and keeps reassuring me that he won't let that happen again. So I'm not making any solid plans. I'll just take it one day at a time and see what happens!

Ellie was induced at 38 weeks because of her size and this doctor is very anti-induction unless medically its needed. He said if baby gets big then it will just guarantee the C-section. He likes babies as close to full term as possible!

December 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
Not sure. Mapquest says 17ish minutes, so I'll just say about 20. Of course with DF driving, that could very easily be cut in half. I don't know if he's ever obeyed a speed limit sign in his life.
December 8th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
30-45 minutes depending in traffic.
I tried to find a dr at the hospital that's only 5 minutes away but they were not taking new tricare patients or just ********.

I had my last son at this hospital anyway. SO it's good to know what I'm in for. This will be the first time I'll have two kids in one place.

Scarlett Diane

December 8th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
Less than a mile away. We live on base and the naval hospital is just a few blocks away. That will be a major plus when it comes time to deliver and DH going home to shower and take care of the dog.

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
December 8th, 2013, 03:16 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I want to add, that with my first, my husband was 16 miles away, which may not seem like a lot but it was the University of Michigan. That is a BIG college town and the traffic during peak hours were bad. I made in time to have my son.

Distance this time did play a factor, we considered going back to that hospital, but after my last labor when I hit transition, I could not move. I didn't want to have that happen and be stuck basically. So we chose to go to the hospital in our city, which is about 5 miles from my house, a 10 minute drive in no traffic.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 8th, 2013, 03:42 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
1 hour if my husband drives...about an hour and 15 minutes if I or someone else has to drive

I'm traveling for my vbac (c section bans in the local hospitals) I refuse to have another c section just because my daughter was breech last time. I have a proven pelvis up to 9lbs 12 oz and my labor with my son was about 13 hours so I think I'll have lots of time to get up there and wont have any issues.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

December 8th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
15-20 mins depending on traffic. There is one hospital closer but I travel a little farther for a first class NICU.

December 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We've got about a 40 minute drive to the hospital. It felt like forever when I was in labor with ds.

[/url

December 8th, 2013, 04:57 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
If I manage to deliver with my OB instead of my Perinatal office then it's about 10-15. I would rather deliver at the hospital I work at because we are known for delivering high risk and high order multiples and if my babies are going to be in the NICU, I want them at that one. But my current OB doesn't deliver at my hospital and I will need to change practices. I'm really torn about what to do. Anywho....my hospital is about 15 - 20 min away.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
December 8th, 2013, 05:13 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Since I've chosen to not birth at the midwife center but have an elective hospital birth, the affiliated hospital is about 15, 20 minutes away, tops.

We haven't toured the L&D there yet, so that's still on the list to do.
December 8th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We just moved to Jacksonville fl and I will deliver on the base here that is about 20min in lite/no traffic and hmmm 35+ In moderate to bad traffic.

December 8th, 2013, 05:33 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm driving 40 minutes because the hospital near me is awful and the one next near doesn't have a good OB. My doctor is awesome. My first labor was 19 hours (that hospital was over an hour away bc I moved at 7 months pregnant). My second labor was 6 hours and only 3 of them in the hospital. I'm a little nervous about this one going really fast and me having the baby in the car. Riding in the car during contractions is pure hell. My doctor has just said I need to go straight to the hospital as soon as I go into labor.

18 minutes is nothing. I would definitely do that- heck- lots of people are at least 20 minutes from the nearest hospital and if it's in rush hour or an emergency you can always go to the other hospital if you *have * to but I'd rather go to the hospital I was comfortable with and take the small risk of having to end up at the other hospital than just plan for the hospital I wasn't comfortable with!!
lovemylittlemiss likes this.
December 8th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Mega Super Mommy
depends on the times of day and on traffic, 20-40mins

December 8th, 2013, 08:00 PM
Veteran
mine is an hour and half away. I do have a hospital 20 mins away, but its not where my dr is, so it would be in an emergency only case to go there.
Bentleigh 3 years old
We lost our sweet baby Bailey at 5months along. Just to precious for earth.
Pregnant with our Rainbow babies, Twins!!! Due May 8th.
December 9th, 2013, 01:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
I'm driving 40 minutes because the hospital near me is awful and the one next near doesn't have a good OB. My doctor is awesome. My first labor was 19 hours (that hospital was over an hour away bc I moved at 7 months pregnant). My second labor was 6 hours and only 3 of them in the hospital. I'm a little nervous about this one going really fast and me having the baby in the car. Riding in the car during contractions is pure hell. My doctor has just said I need to go straight to the hospital as soon as I go into labor.

18 minutes is nothing. I would definitely do that- heck- lots of people are at least 20 minutes from the nearest hospital and if it's in rush hour or an emergency you can always go to the other hospital if you *have * to but I'd rather go to the hospital I was comfortable with and take the small risk of having to end up at the other hospital than just plan for the hospital I wasn't comfortable with!!
That's what I'm thinking but of course men don't get that Theoretically we could be stuck in traffic for an hour or so but still...it is a chance that I'm willing to take. Not to mention there is a high probability they will want to induce me on my due date because of type I diabetes. I haven't decided yet if I will consent to that or not though; it depends on how I'm feeling/the diabetes/how the baby is doing. If I end up deciding to go along with that obviously the drive will make zero difference.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 9th, 2013 at 01:09 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search