BTDT moms-- need your opinion.

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By ToMuchElmo
  • 2 Post By Rachael84

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 17th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Veteran
I'm trying to decide whether to go to the caribbean, but the only places safe enough as far as food/water are going to be more expensive. My question is, by then I'll be a couple weeks into my 3rd trimester. When you were at that point in previous pregnancies, were you in the mood to travel? I ask because I could always go to FL to visit my parents in late Jan (end of 2nd tri) since Jet Blue is having a sale today. It would be cheaper and probably more relaxing. It would be without my husband since he's working at the time. It would just be to see my parents. I'm just tired, achy, and getting heavy as it is now at 19 weeks. So I'm really starting to question if I'll be in the mood to travel come mid February.
December 17th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would have generally felt fine to travel at that point although you are probably going to want to do more relaxing than you "normally" would (or at least than I normally would on vacation - we tend to be more explorers). That said I just nixed the idea of a trip to the Caribbean in late January because I finally decided I'm just not comfortable being that far from home, top notch medical care, etc that far along. My b/p spiked very suddenly when I was 30 something weeks along with DS (resulting in immediate bedrest and close monitoring) so I want to play it safe this time since my b/p is already trending higher than last time.

We are thinking about just going to San Diego instead.

December 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Veteran
That's another consideration. I don't have a high risk pregnancy, but you make a good point. I think I'm just gonna go see my parents in FL as my last getaway before the baby.
December 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would have been fine to travel at that point but I was fortunate to have had a very easy pregnancy. I really felt pretty good up until the very end aside from my PUPPS rash. I think it probably depends on the individual and even every pregnancy. I hope I still feel good this time but I'm not going to assume that I will.

December 17th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
The hardest part about pregnancy is that it is just so freaking unpredictable! My first pregnancy was picture perfect until the b/p issue. I was working full-time and felt great. Makes it hard to plan trips!

December 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
We just got back from Cancun, Mexico a few days ago and I had absolutely no issues and the doctor said it was fine. I just used bottled water for everything. I would avoid lettuce and stuff like that, too. Otherwise I ate everything and anything. We stayed at a resort south of Cancun in Playa del Carmen and another resort on the island of Isla Mujeres for a few days. It was cheap, the beach and food are amazing. I even snorkeled, it was great!

The flight is normally 4.5 hours but we purposefully made a stop halfway in Atlanta. It felt good to get up and walk and have something to eat.

Other than that, I had no issues. I was tired by the end of the day so I always went to bed early and drank a ton of water while there.

We plan on going back in February to the same place and I have no hesitation about doing so.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
December 17th, 2013, 02:42 PM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
I would go haha
my last pregnancy I went with my dh to his rugby game (6 hours drive one way a week before my edd. I felt great...until we stopped in palm springs so our son could go to wet n wild...who knew it would be 110* the 1st week of May?!? I got burnt to a crisp! But other than that trip went great!
December 17th, 2013, 02:45 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan84 View Post
We just got back from Cancun, Mexico a few days ago and I had absolutely no issues and the doctor said it was fine. I just used bottled water for everything. I would avoid lettuce and stuff like that, too. Otherwise I ate everything and anything. We stayed at a resort south of Cancun in Playa del Carmen and another resort on the island of Isla Mujeres for a few days. It was cheap, the beach and food are amazing. I even snorkeled, it was great!

The flight is normally 4.5 hours but we purposefully made a stop halfway in Atlanta. It felt good to get up and walk and have something to eat.

Other than that, I had no issues. I was tired by the end of the day so I always went to bed early and drank a ton of water while there.

We plan on going back in February to the same place and I have no hesitation about doing so.

Good luck in whatever you decide!

But there will probably be a big difference now vs. a month and a half from now, lol.
December 17th, 2013, 03:19 PM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
But there will probably be a big difference now vs. a month and a half from now, lol.
Definitely could be, but I'm still planning on going, I've had an easy pregnancy so far, though, so I honestly don't expect a big difference. There were quite a few ladies, with small children, at our resorts who were much further along. I honestly think it depends on each person and their pregnancy, though.

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
December 17th, 2013, 04:14 PM
Super Mommy
I am going to Hawaii in early February (25-26 weeks) and I could not be more excited! I am going to need some sun and some rest from work by then for sure! Last time around I travelled later than that (7.5 months I think, but not out of the country) and felt fine. But I also was lucky to have quite an easy pregnancy and this one so far is the same.
December 18th, 2013, 03:42 AM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
Keep in mind this could be your last kid-free vacation (i.e. relaxing) for quite a while.
AlaskaMom likes this.
December 18th, 2013, 04:43 AM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
We went to Key West when I was about 28 weeks with #2. I was feeling fine to travel but the flights inthe puddle jumper planes made me feel like my head would explode. It really, really scared me. I read somewhere later that you are not supposed to fly in an unpressurized cabin during pregnancy. you might look into that just to be sure, otherwise I would go and enjoy!
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
December 18th, 2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran
I ended up booking flights to see my parents in FL for 10 days. The planes are big, so no problem with cabin pressure or anything.
joanna26 and girlsofsummer like this.
December 18th, 2013, 07:55 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
Good question -- to be honest, I still get worried about the water issues in Mexico and the Carribean. When we went to Mexico in July, we were all very careful about what we ate or drank, and 3/6 of us still got Montezuma's revenge. Resorts are supposed to be careful re: ice cubes, washing produce and even whole fruit, but you just never know.

In my mind, traveling to the Carribean is very different from traveling within the US. You're looking at an entirely different set of issues. I don't know that I'd personally take the chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjewellove View Post
I would go I felt great...until we stopped in palm springs so our son could go to wet n wild...who knew it would be 110* the 1st week of May?!?
I've been to this water park while visiting my aunt and uncle! (they live in the mts above the valley). It was 108 the day we went!! Really wasn't used to that dry heat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search