Feeling left out?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By Nel
  • 1 Post By Bria'sMommy
  • 1 Post By Decemberhill
  • 1 Post By Rolsen
  • 1 Post By lovemylittlemiss
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer
  • 1 Post By AlaskaMom
  • 1 Post By MelChicago
  • 1 Post By AlaskaMom
  • 1 Post By MommaBean18

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2013, 08:51 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
My friend came all the way back from Oregon to visit me for break (yay!) and we've been having a really fun time. She just turned 21, so she's been drinking lately, but I just assumed that she wouldn't while she was with me. Tonight her and DF decided to go to the store and get some alcohol and get smashed. I don't really want to drink, but I guess I just feel left out that I don't have the option, does that make sense? Anyone else having issues?

December 18th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I dont drink often at all, even when I have the chance its usually only happens a few times a year. OF COURSE when you cant do it you wish you could. I have had a wedding, a fancy dinner party and a huge xmas party that I have now had to be sober for and it sucked
MommaBean18 likes this.

December 18th, 2013, 09:12 PM
Crafty Mommy
Totally!! My friend likes to tease me that she gets to drink wine and I don't. Meanie!
MommaBean18 likes this.

December 19th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
I don't wish I could at all. And that's coming from someone who really enjoys having a drink or two...sometimes three. Even when I am around it, I don't wish I could have a glass of wine. I actually hate watching people get drunk, pregnant or not. But that's just me. Granted, when I was younger and pregnant...I did always want things I couldn't have.
MommaBean18 likes this.

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
December 19th, 2013, 09:02 AM
I can relate! Corporate Holiday parties are not the same this year. It's not that I want to drink, but I feel odd ordering Ginger Ale while others are ordering wine and shots.

DH has absolutely adjusted to having a built in designated driver though!
MommaBean18 likes this.
December 19th, 2013, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sometimes a glass of wine sounds good to me too. We were out to lunch with my in laws and they and DH all had wine with their meal...I obviously didn't. I didn't really want it but it was kind of awkward to toast with my water glass. lol
MommaBean18 likes this.

December 19th, 2013, 10:53 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
I miss an occasional glass of wine after work more than I do social drinking.

But I will say that DH's Christmas party was more boring than usual this year
MommaBean18 likes this.
December 19th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Glad I'm not the only one I don't drink anyways, I just always want what I can't have haha!

Also I guess I'm just feeling like she was a bit inconsiderate. I would totally understand if we were out with a group of friends or at a holiday party or something, but it was literally just the three of us at my house..

December 19th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Super Mommy
That is very rude of them, I agree! And I totally understand the "want it 'cause you can't have it" feeling.

When I was pregnant with my first I had a tiny (2 oz) glass of wine with my dinner a few times a week and sometimes like a third of my husband's beer. 100 percent safe according to my midwives and all the studies I read (and trust me, I read them all!) However, interestingly I've found this time that I have no interest at all. I'll have a sip of my husband's wine now and then to taste one if I haven't had it before, but that's about it. But then, I'm really weird about food generally this time. I basically only want to eat oranges and broccolli. :-) Perhaps I'm growing a naturally healthy eater who will never want to drink! Wouldn't that be nice.
MommaBean18 likes this.
December 19th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Just keep breathing.
You said your DF was in on this too? Are you upset at him, too, or just your friend? And they were hanging out at your home, not going out to a bar or whatever and leaving you behind?

I can see why you feel a bit left out, but I don't think they were astonishingly rude or anything. Especially if they are still at your home, not abandoning you. Just my opinion. I'm a lot older than 21 so kind of out of that new-to-drinking world. Coming from the hostess perspective, I offer my friends and visitors drinks, even if I myself am not partaking.

I think this is one of those things that pricks you, but it's up to you to decide how much you really want it to affect your friendship.
MommaBean18 likes this.
December 19th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Super Mommy
To me the rude part is not a bit of social drinking but that they specifically chose "getting smashed" as an activity while hanging out with a pregnant woman. Of course I'm terribly terribly old so I would be annoyed by such behavior of a friend visiting me even if I weren't pregnant!
MommaBean18 likes this.
December 20th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the sympathies I was also just a bit grouchy with these mood swings, but I'm feeling much better now. We had a nice dinner last night and went to see a play and my bristles aren't rubbed the wrong way any longer haha.
AlaskaMom likes this.

December 20th, 2013, 01:33 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
I like to drink sprite and grenadine Or sprite and orange juice. They remind me of the fruity drinks I enjoy out at the bars but in an NA version. I haven't had a problem at all, and after my first baby my favorite alcohols were no longer favorites... weird I'd say

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
December 20th, 2013, 02:04 PM
dindin's Avatar Veteran
My OB and RE were fine with me having a small glass of wine once in a while, but it does not taste good to me at all. If we go out in a group I ask for a fun mocktail..but I dislike hanging out with anyone just drinking to get drunk..must be my age!

Glad you are feeling better and enjoying time with your friend!

1/12 3/13
December 23rd, 2013, 05:30 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have been craving moscato. I've had a 4 oz drink a few months ago and the craving has come back lol. I have also been craving beer but that craving isn't going to get satisfied, I don't like it much lol.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search