Naming etiquette

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 4 Post By AlaskaMom
  • 1 Post By inyourhonor
  • 1 Post By lovemylittlemiss
  • 2 Post By bella88
  • 1 Post By AlaskaMom
  • 1 Post By dindin
  • 1 Post By PointDefiance
  • 2 Post By lovemylittlemiss

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 20th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is a name that I have loved since I was at a teenager. DH and I are now throwing the name around, albeit he prefers a different spelling. Last summer my cousin was discussing names that she liked and this name happened to be the only girls name she threw out there (but a different spelling, if that matters). She isn't married and and it doesn't look like she will be having kids anytime soon...is it rude or awkward if we went ahead and used this name? If she ended up having a daughter some day and wanted to use it I wouldn't care at all. I didn't get this name from her, I guess it is just coincidence that we both like it but I never made it known that I like it too until after she told me.

December 20th, 2013, 10:13 AM
Super Mommy
I think "first come first served" is the only rational rule for baby naming. It would be ridiculous for you to "save" your favorite name for her when you don't even know whether she'll ever have kids, or have a girl, OR whether her tastes will totally change, her partner will hate that name, etc.

If you've told her that name is a favorite of yours too, she shouldn't be surprised! Years from now IF she has a girl, she can still consider then whether she wants to use it. 2 cousins with kids having the same name might be bad in some situations or in some families (like if you're very close, live in the same town, etc.) but if she lives across the country and you see each other once a year, she could easily use it too.

Most importantly, what's the name!? I love names. :-)
December 20th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The name is Madelen...it is the Scandinavian spelling of Madilyn/Madeleine etc. I like the French spelling Madeleine the best but Madelen is the only one DH kind of likes (he is very picky!) I realize in America it probably looks like a made up spelling but I promise it is legit in Scandinavia!

ETA: Also, I think you have a good point. Now that I think of it, my aunt and uncle named my cousin the same name as my mom! The first and last names were the same even though my mom wasn't blood related and they weren't naming my cousin after her or anything.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 20th, 2013 at 10:27 AM.
December 20th, 2013, 11:53 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Alaska mom said it. Look at it this way, I'm going to have 4 boys but I have my heart set on one specific girl name. If anyone I knew got pregnant and had a girl before I ever did, they would have every right to use that name. Because what would my chances be that I get a girl? I mean, she could get pregnant and end up like me, all boys.

I love this name and I have a cousin with that name, a niece who's name is a variation of it but not exactly it. However we agreed, we'd still use it. While I understand people feeling protective over names, it should not stop anyone from using it IMO.

I have a friend I have grown up with, pregnant with her first son. She's naming it the same name as my oldest son. Am I annoyed? Kinda, because we chose not so popular names (although this one is gaining) but would I ever tell her no? Nope. Her baby, her choice.

I would not feel bad using the name, at all. If she has an issue with it, apologize for that but I would not change the name if that is what you really want.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
December 20th, 2013, 12:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks Marisa! I really like your boys' names btw!
inyourhonor likes this.

December 20th, 2013, 12:15 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Haha Maddie is the only girl name DH likes and, out of the real names that go with it, Madeleine is my favourite. It was our girl name until we found out we were having a boy . It is a great name!
DH and I have had our boy name picked out for years now and his cousin recently used the same middle name as we had picked. I know it's not the same thing and I am still absolutely set on using it. It does bug me a little that people might think we used it because of them and that's where we got the idea byt it's a common name and who cares lol.

December 20th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Super Mommy
Great name! :-) I've loved the French spelling for a long time too, but I think your dh's Scandinavian version is fantastic!
December 20th, 2013, 12:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks guys!

December 20th, 2013, 02:06 PM
dindin's Avatar Veteran
I love both the French and Scandinavian spellings

1/12 3/13
December 20th, 2013, 03:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you!

December 20th, 2013, 03:45 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you ask one of my aunts my OTHER aunt stole not one but 3 of her baby names....and it still irks her 30 plus years later LOL. I would go ahead and use it but be prepared for possibly a tiny bit of hurt feelings..but maybe not!

December 20th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
i would use it! And i love the name, it was on my list of girls names

December 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
Veteran
Use it I'm set on the names we've chosen. A cousin of DH's is due around the same time as me and if she uses a name we've chosen, oh well! We are still using them. Plus I've put my name choices all over Facebook for months now so she or anyone wlse can't get possessive of the names LOL. I know personally, choosing the same name doesn't bother me. It just demonstrates good taste

**Thank you, bokkechick, for my beautiful signature!**

December 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for your feedback!

December 21st, 2013, 11:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would absolutely use it! It would be different if your cousin was pregnant (or going to TTC in the near future) but at this point you have no idea if she will ever have kids much less a girl!

December 21st, 2013, 12:15 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
I actually live the Scandinavian spelling, it's unique! [least for the us] we were gonna name our upcoming girl Mila, because it thought it was the easiest way to spell it, but when I texted the name to my mom, she called and asked me if it was "my-la" I laughed and was like no!? What the heck!? She brought up it looks like Milo, with an a... Oh... Yeah, it does, so we went back to the German spelling, and went with Milla, it makes more sense since our last name is VERY German, ad out daughter Alice is named after Resident Evil "Alice" and so this girl will be "Milla" after Milla Jovovich, the actress that played Alice in resident evil lol.
isac16 likes this.
December 21st, 2013, 12:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDefiance View Post
I actually live the Scandinavian spelling, it's unique! [least for the us] we were gonna name our upcoming girl Mila, because it thought it was the easiest way to spell it, but when I texted the name to my mom, she called and asked me if it was "my-la" I laughed and was like no!? What the heck!? She brought up it looks like Milo, with an a... Oh... Yeah, it does, so we went back to the German spelling, and went with Milla, it makes more sense since our last name is VERY German, ad out daughter Alice is named after Resident Evil "Alice" and so this girl will be "Milla" after Milla Jovovich, the actress that played Alice in resident evil lol.
That is really cool that there is a shared meaning behind both names! I wanted a name for our second child that came from a poem or at least literature (DD's name is from a poem) but we haven't found anything that we both like well enough.

December 21st, 2013, 09:38 PM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
Definitely first come, first serve. I "lost" the name we had picked for #4 -Josie- to a cousin who we are close with. It stung but we shook it off and changed it to Jaycie.

Here is a strange one for ya. My sil (who is not pregnant, married or dating) told us she is naming her kids the following "no matter what".... "Owen James" < our boy name has been Owen Zachary for almost 9 years and that is this baby's name. Her girl name is "Luella Rose", our 8 year old is Lucy Rose, named after the same grandma, Luella. She asked me what I thought and I shrugged it off, but I thought it was odd.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
December 22nd, 2013, 05:10 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkljmom View Post
Definitely first come, first serve. I "lost" the name we had picked for #4 -Josie- to a cousin who we are close with. It stung but we shook it off and changed it to Jaycie.

Here is a strange one for ya. My sil (who is not pregnant, married or dating) told us she is naming her kids the following "no matter what".... "Owen James" < our boy name has been Owen Zachary for almost 9 years and that is this baby's name. Her girl name is "Luella Rose", our 8 year old is Lucy Rose, named after the same grandma, Luella. She asked me what I thought and I shrugged it off, but I thought it was odd.
haha well she may think that it will be no matter what but just wait until she has a husband she has to compromise with! Names are fun and easy until you have to compromise with someone (imo)!
mkljmom and isac16 like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search