BTDT moms - things no one ever tells you about babies and parenthood!

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 22nd, 2013, 10:10 AM
Super Mommy
Whew. This thread is helpful but likely scary to the first-timers! I would add that NOT ALL of these things will be hard for any one person, at least not all at the same time so don't be too scared. Some things will likely be easier than you expect, other things much harder. It's impossible to predict, just have faith that you can do it and take it one day at a time.

As many others have said, breastfeeding can be really HARD (though for me it was never terribly painful the way others have described thank God). BUT it gets so much easier and I think it's absolutely worth it to give it 100% effort in those first six weeks. The one piece of advice I would add is to get to know whatever lactation consultant is available to you in advance, and USE HER. Breastfeeding is not something mama and baby are supposed to be experts at all on their own. It requires other women to help you get started, and since we no longer generally share our homes and communities with lots of other women who have done this many times, we need to rely on the professionals. I loved my lactation consultant so much I half considered naming my child after her once he finally learned how to eat, and he is a boy! :-)
lovemylittlemiss and LUSHaye like this.
December 22nd, 2013, 10:12 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
This is so true! My midwife told me to lay in bed for 6 weeks, eat like a construction worker and tell anyone who complains about the house not being clean to just not come over! lol
I like your midwife!
My mom likes a spotless clean house (I don't because then it looks more than a showroom than a home) so I probably won't have her over for a while. I don't plan on letting anyone come over for the first two weeks to a month, but probably her especially.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.
December 22nd, 2013, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSHaye View Post
I like your midwife!
My mom likes a spotless clean house (I don't because then it looks more than a showroom than a home) so I probably won't have her over for a while. I don't plan on letting anyone come over for the first two weeks to a month, but probably her especially.
In German the first 6-8 weeks after a baby is born is literally called "Weeks bed"... It's really a time to pamper yourself so take it easy! I wouldn't have anyone over that is going to cause stress either.

I should add too that breastfeeding wasn't difficult for us and did come pretty naturally so it varies for everyone. It did hurt when she latched on for the first week or 2 (and she did have a proper latch) but after that initial part it ended up being so much easier than formula feeding would have been. Most women and babies can breastfeed, it just takes getting over the learning curve. Like Alaskamom said, the best thing to do is to ask for help.
LUSHaye likes this.

December 22nd, 2013, 11:14 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A lot of moms have success with breast feeding. Some it comes natural to others have to really work at it.

Do NOT feel bad if you find it to be impossible. I literally beat myself up for weeks trying to breast feed my two kids. People will tell you that ALL mothers make milk...its not true.

I tried everything to up my supply for both kids. My daughter was half a day away from an inpatient stay because she was so dehydrated by the third day of life. She was literally nursing on dry boobs and had lost a pound from her discharge weight just 3 days before!

I tried all the little tricks..extra water..oatmeal...pumping between feedings...lactation nurse who came to my house! Nothing ever worked. Between both boobs I was lucky to get an ounce ..and this was 3 weeks into it.

So while breast feeding is great and if you can do it..great...but if you can't please dont feel like you have failed...or you didnt try hard enough. It just doesnt work for some women.

December 22nd, 2013, 12:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMom View Post
Whew. This thread is helpful but likely scary to the first-timers! I would add that NOT ALL of these things will be hard for any one person, at least not all at the same time so don't be too scared. Some things will likely be easier than you expect, other things much harder. It's impossible to predict, just have faith that you can do it and take it one day at a time.

Very, very true!! Honestly there were several things about having a newborn that were easier than I expected. Recovery from birth was a breeze and I had an episiotomy and lots of stitches. I never took so much as a Tylenol and while it was uncomfortable for a few days I wouldn't say it really "hurt" at all. Also the lack of sleep was not anywhere near as bad as I expected (I NEED sleep so this was a big concern). I did sleep when baby slept at first so that probably helped. B/f was pretty easy for us after the first couple of weeks. Based on everything I read I expected it to be much more difficult/painful than it was.

December 22nd, 2013, 01:38 PM
Crafty Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMom View Post

As many others have said, breastfeeding can be really HARD (though for me it was never terribly painful the way others have described thank God). BUT it gets so much easier and I think it's absolutely worth it to give it 100% effort in those first six weeks. The one piece of advice I would add is to get to know whatever lactation consultant is available to you in advance, and USE HER. Breastfeeding is not something mama and baby are supposed to be experts at all on their own. It requires other women to help you get started, and since we no longer generally share our homes and communities with lots of other women who have done this many times, we need to rely on the professionals. I loved my lactation consultant so much I half considered naming my child after her once he finally learned how to eat, and he is a boy! :-)
Good grief! I would be terrified reading all this as a first timer too! Like Alaskamom said, not all of this will happen to you!!

I had a C/S and it was a breeze, no issues at all. A little scary constipation, but that was expected. I however, did NOT expect to bleed (AF) like everyone else for some reason. I thought they sucked it all out or something and I would be exempt from bleeding. Idiot! Lol! Pain was manageable and I just had to remind myself not to overdo it because I felt great and was trying to lift my luggage in my hospital room. My nurse about had a stroke when she walked in on me lifting!

Also, BF is hard. I see it in the hospital at work everyday. But stick to it, and it gets easier, promise! It hurts at first (my toes would curl up in pain when she would latch), but it gets better in time. I also had supply issues and ended up supplementing at about 6 weeks and felt like a complete failure. But you just have to do the best you can do. Some breast milk is better than no breast milk!

December 22nd, 2013, 02:14 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
May not happen to everyone..but it obviously happened to some. As a first time mom I'd rather be over prepared for the scary stuff than have no clue what might happen and be blindsided.

December 22nd, 2013, 02:29 PM
Crafty Mommy
Right, I mean that not every single one of those things will happen to each person. Maybe one or two. But you can't really prepare for most of it except to lower expectations of the "perfect" birth image you see in pictures and on TV. They don't show reality.

We see so many moms that have to almost mourn the loss of the image they had in their head of how it all goes, especially if baby has to come visit us in the NICU for awhile. It's not always how you imagine it, but I think overall, it's not that bad in the end (or we forget the bad parts) or else we wouldn't be on this board doing it again, right?!

The good outweighs the bad is all I am saying!

December 23rd, 2013, 04:54 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have to say with my first, breastfeeding didn't hurt at all. It was hard to learn how to nurse though lol. After that, nursing the first few days hurts me. Everyone is different, as they said. The cramps during breastfeeding were non existent with my first and noticeable with the others.

Also, I bled like a stuck pig for the first few weeks after birth. Put a plastic pad down, it's your best friend for not staining the bed.

Finally, best piece of advice I've heard, sleep when the baby does.

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search