BTDT moms - things no one ever tells you about babies and parenthood!

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 21st, 2013, 01:17 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Any words of advice for our gonna be first time mamas?

No one ever tells you that your beautiful little baby could get acne just wen you wanna get those adorable newborn pictures taken!

I also know that some of the little girls from my last ddc had like AF like bleeding, it was a hormonal thing that can happen after their born, something to do with your hormones leaving their body!
December 21st, 2013, 01:23 PM
Decemberhill's Avatar Nicole
Yes. Both of my girls had hormone reactions. Our first got "boobies". The hard quarter like thing right under her little nipples. It went away within a month…but that was real freaky!

Mom to Ava (8) and Layla (6). Bennett Scott due May 19, 2014!
December 21st, 2013, 01:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DD also had a very, very slight amount of pink blood once and had boobs (btw boys can get boobs too so don't be alarmed!)

I'm not sure if this happens to a lot of people or not but after I gave birth I literally lost the sensation of needing to urinate for at least a few weeks. I couldn't feel when I had to empty my bladder. Also, the first 8 hours after I gave birth I couldn't go to the bathroom (I actually had to be cathed even though I never was during labor because I didn't have an epi...very unpleasant!). I had never heard of either of these things happening before but I must not be the only person. Also, pooping after was really scary! LOL You might need a stool softener to help it along!

December 21st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Pooping is your worst enemy…just the thought of it after birth stresses me! And we are only halfway. Personally, stool softeners did not work for me AT ALL. Milk of Magnesia is what finally did the trick for me…this was at least 4 days after my c-section and few hours in the bathroom. Just awful!

December 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, I had an episiotomy so that did not help either! I ended up using a stool softener suppository (was told by midwife not take anything orally because it could end up in the breast milk) it helped but man was that an unpleasant experience! More so because I was scared...the actual act wasn't as bad as I anticipated. lol

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 21st, 2013 at 01:54 PM.
December 21st, 2013, 01:43 PM
Super Mommy
I also had zero control over my bladder for about a month or so. It was horrifying. And it took a really long time afterwards to get full control of it again. I really, really hope that doesn't happen again......

My DD screamed literally 24 hours a day until she was 9 months old. She had health problems so I think it had something to do with that but still the whole happy smiley baby thing just didn't happen for us until she was older than 9 months.

She screamed mercilessly whenever we got near a car. The drive to my parents house is 4 1/2 hours long. She'd stay awake and screech the entire time. Every time.

And the one that makes me laugh (now). Until she was about a year old she'd let out these huge nasty disintegrating poops whenever we gave her a bath. I seriously think she saved them everyday until bath time :-P

Oh yeah and when my milk came in I could have easily fed 6 newborns I think. Everytime Ellie drank it would come gushing out and she'd have to drink so fast I was afraid of her choking lol. It stopped after about a week and a half but it was crazy when it happened! This time I'll buy a nipple shield just in case since this is what we had to use for the first bit anyway. So the poor kiddo didn't drown....

December 21st, 2013, 01:46 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellies_mom View Post
I also had zero control over my bladder for about a month or so. It was horrifying. And it took a really long time afterwards to get full control of it again. I really, really hope that doesn't happen again......

My DD screamed literally 24 hours a day until she was 9 months old. She had health problems so I think it had something to do with that but still the whole happy smiley baby thing just didn't happen for us until she was older than 9 months.

She screamed mercilessly whenever we got near a car. The drive to my parents house is 4 1/2 hours long. She'd stay awake and screech the entire time. Every time.

And the one that makes me laugh (now). Until she was about a year old she'd let out these huge nasty disintegrating poops whenever we gave her a bath. I seriously think she saved them everyday until bath time :-P
My DD was pretty high maintenance too. She didn't fit the definition of colic but she wanted to be held or near me literally 24/7. Never thought I would be someone that would co sleep but that ended up being the only way any of us could get any rest! I'm hoping beyond belief that I will be able to put this one down in a swing long enough for me to go to the bathroom...I couldn't really do that with DD until she was over 3 months old without her screaming and screaming to be held. Let's just say very little housework got done during the first several months. lol

December 21st, 2013, 02:23 PM
My breast milk is the the same way. Once it's here…it goes everywhere. I have to use towels under my breasts because as soon as the baby pulls away, it goes everywhere. My supply is insane. I'm able to fill the freezer in about 2 weeks.

Our second daughter had a really hard time with BM's. There were numerous occasions that the Dr. had us supplement prune juice. Like PP mentioned, she only seemed to go in the bath, I think that was because she would be relaxed…and we could help pump her legs to give her a little extra "umph".

December 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
DS was a great baby, just never wanted to be put down! He had an umbilical hernia (which the DR said is relatively common.) It went away before he turned 1, but it freaked me out.

Also I agree with pooping being the scariest thing in the world, especially if you tore. Something else no one ever talks about is how it takes you like twice as long to clean up after you pee since you use water to rinse, not toilet paper! And loading up your granny panties with the witch hazel pads etc.

December 21st, 2013, 03:12 PM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No one told me little boys get erections as newborns. So you can imagine the horrified look the first time I saw my little baby have one when I went to change his diaper. I thought that didn't happen until puberty. The first poop was terrifying as well. Even if you breastfeed you can get your period right away. I bled for six weeks then started my normal cycle two weeks later and it came consistently until I got pregnant.

[/url

December 21st, 2013, 03:39 PM
I had a regular period starting 6 weeks after birth…with both girls. I didn't get lucky!

December 21st, 2013, 03:46 PM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
BREASTFEEDING. IS. HARD. I have nursed all of mine for at least a year. There are lots of pros- it's free, baby bonding, burning an extra 500 or so calories a day...but it is hard. It is a team sport. My #3 would not take a bottle or eat baby food for 10 months. Which means I was not away from her for more than 3 hours for almost a year. It was emotionally taxing.

Some babies know what they are doing latching and eating right way and others don't. By #4 you would think I was a pro. The kid took *forever* to learn how to latch right. I thought my nipples might fall off.

The first 2 days are the most ddifficult, then the first two weeks, and then the first two months. After that, it becomes 2nd nature to both baby and Mommy. By 4 months, you can nurse and do anything...give another child a bath, cook a meal, help older kids with homework, it really does get easier!

I hope I did not discourage anyone lol...but NO ONE told me these things before I had my first.
Cheet_oh and AlaskaMom like this.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
December 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
some babies just dont sleep!!!!

My son took 3 two hour naps a day until he was close to 1 years of age!! He slept through the night by 3 months...

My daughter..hardly napped during the day..maybe an hour...never slept at night. She woke up 6-8x's a night until she was 10 months old!!!! She cried a lot too because she was exhausted all day and all night.

I am hoping and praying this baby is a sleeper.

December 21st, 2013, 04:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by anhoyle View Post
No one told me little boys get erections as newborns. So you can imagine the horrified look the first time I saw my little baby have one when I went to change his diaper. I thought that didn't happen until puberty. The first poop was terrifying as well. Even if you breastfeed you can get your period right away. I bled for six weeks then started my normal cycle two weeks later and it came consistently until I got pregnant.

I exclusively breastfed DD around the clock but still got AF back at 3 months pp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
some babies just dont sleep!!!!

My son took 3 two hour naps a day until he was close to 1 years of age!! He slept through the night by 3 months...

My daughter..hardly napped during the day..maybe an hour...never slept at night. She woke up 6-8x's a night until she was 10 months old!!!! She cried a lot too because she was exhausted all day and all night.

I am hoping and praying this baby is a sleeper.
Hope this next one is a better sleeper for you! My dd sounds like yours; even at only a few weeks old she didn't nap much; maybe a few 20 minute naps a day. I did everything to get her to sleep more or longer but nothing worked. I thought I would have at least 2 or 3 stretches during the day where she would nap for a couple hours at a time so I could catch up on sleep myself or get things done. Nope. Since she was so high maintenance I used her short naps to have time for myself so nothing got done She's now stopped napping at just under 2 years old as well :/

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; December 21st, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
December 21st, 2013, 04:50 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
Also, your nipples will hurt when u first start breast feeding like everytime they nurse it's like they have a mouthful of needles, especially until your milk comes in! And I never could get DD to take any kind of bottle after she became accustomed to the breast! I wanted to breast feed for 6 months, ended up at 16 months!
December 21st, 2013, 05:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkljmom View Post
The first 2 days are the most ddifficult, then the first two weeks, and then the first two months. After that, it becomes 2nd nature to both baby and Mommy.

So true! Don't be discouraged if the thought of leaving the house with baby seems like an impossible feat at 6 or even 8 weeks in. Just a very short time later you will be breezing around town again but those first 2-3 months just cut yourself a LOT of slack.
AlaskaMom and Lyndsey2013 like this.

December 21st, 2013, 06:24 PM
~mama2monkeys~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to ~mama2monkeys~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~mama2monkeys~
my advise is to pretty much discard anything you say you will NEVER do! Because chances are, you will Babies make us do things we never thought we would! Also, take everyone else's advise as just that. Advise or an opinion. Ultimately your instincts will be right. So if someone tells you to do something, or not to do something, and it doesn't feel right to you, it's probably not right for you, your baby or your family.
I'm Carrie, wife to Micah (10/11/03) and mommy to 4 little monkeys! Jonah (10/08/04) Bella Kate (04-05-07) Finlay (09-17-09) Abram (10-28-11)and Baby #5, Baby Boy, Due May 2014!

December 21st, 2013, 08:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I didnt read everyones yet but the two that i am vividly reminded of are

Breastfeeding hurts like a M*therF$(#R!!! I seriously didnt know it would hurt like that!! Like someone was attacking my nipples with razor blades. I also didnt know that they make like gel nipple peds to help heal your nipples between feedings... or that they are such thing as nipple sheilds to use while feeding for protection. Both things were a huge help for me.

Frozen maxi pads....OMG YES!! Get the biggest pads you can find and soak them with water. Freeze those bad boys and use them as needed. They are seriously the best thing EVER!

Last edited by Nel; December 22nd, 2013 at 12:06 PM.
December 22nd, 2013, 09:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Going to add another. Don't expect to come home from the hospital and just jump back into your normal routine. Be prepared to ask for and accept a lot of help the first few weeks and most importantly "Cut yourself a lot of slack" at first. Your primary job the first few weeks is the care for the baby and heal from birth. Anything else you manage to accomplish is gravy! I have so many friends who just beat themselves up because they couldn't manage to plan a party three weeks after having a baby and I'm like girl you just had a baby, relax!!!
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

December 22nd, 2013, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanna26 View Post
Going to add another. Don't expect to come home from the hospital and just jump back into your normal routine. Be prepared to ask for and accept a lot of help the first few weeks and most importantly "Cut yourself a lot of slack" at first. Your primary job the first few weeks is the care for the baby and heal from birth. Anything else you manage to accomplish is gravy! I have so many friends who just beat themselves up because they couldn't manage to plan a party three weeks after having a baby and I'm like girl you just had a baby, relax!!!

This is so true! My midwife told me to lay in bed for 6 weeks, eat like a construction worker and tell anyone who complains about the house not being clean to just not come over! lol
LUSHaye likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search