Coloring your hair

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nel
  • 1 Post By Nel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 19th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Veteran
So I am growing my hair out, its about chin length now. I had a super short pixie cut from Nov '12 to jan '13 but then told the hubby I would start growing it back out. BUT I tend to get bored with my hair and since I'm growing it out, I wanna color it. I really wanna go blonde, but leave the underneath my natural color. Im naturally a dark brown, but I have gone blonde before. However, I've never been able to get the color that I love because before its always been pre-colored and its been a few crazy colors to say the least. So since I now have virgin hair since I havent colored it since before chopping it down to a pixie, I'm hoping I will be able to get the color blonde I really want. If not then I'll just color it darker again lol.

Anyone else go from a Dark Brown to Blonde? Wanna share some pictures??
February 19th, 2014, 05:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
if you have virgin hair it wont be a problem. Its when you have dyed dark hair and you try to go blonde that you get issues and orangness. You have to really bleach that dye out and it fries your hair.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? You may have to bleach it twice it get a nice light color and then you are going to want to fill it back in with a blonde color. So it could take a few hours to do it.

February 19th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I did lol. I turned into a cheetah. Spotty orange. My friends said it was nice lol. It was awful enough to get into the salon without an appointment haha
But my hair is more difficult to dye. Even slightly lighter shades of brown come out funky in my hair.

Scarlett Diane

February 19th, 2014, 06:49 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
I do a lot, ahem, did a lot, with my hair before dd was born. I used a 40 developer with a purple bleach ... Foil and then to get the orange yellow color out I used wella grey coloring which will turn your hair grey/silver if u leave it in too long but I went white blonde in the front... I'm looking for a picture...
February 19th, 2014, 08:41 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
if you have virgin hair it wont be a problem. Its when you have dyed dark hair and you try to go blonde that you get issues and orangness. You have to really bleach that dye out and it fries your hair.

Are you planning on doing this yourself? You may have to bleach it twice it get a nice light color and then you are going to want to fill it back in with a blonde color. So it could take a few hours to do it.
Yea, I have never tried going blonde when I had virgin hair before, its always been pre-colored haha.
Yes, I plan on doing it myself, with the help of my mom. I have a friend that does hair, but have stopped going to her because I have found she doesn't listen to what I want and just does what she thinks I should do(especially with haircuts) or tends to give up halfway through. I've colored my hair alot myself before and have had to bleach it, to get black out so I could get light enough to do a bright red.

I read to add a red/gold neutralizer to the bleach to help keep from getting the orange tints, and since i know my hair has a little bit of red undertones in it naturally i think i will do that just to be on the safe side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londons Butterfly View Post
I did lol. I turned into a cheetah. Spotty orange. My friends said it was nice lol. It was awful enough to get into the salon without an appointment haha
But my hair is more difficult to dye. Even slightly lighter shades of brown come out funky in my hair.
Lol I don't think I have ever turned into a cheetah lol! I have definately had the orange outcome though, and it is NOT fun! Especially when you can't fix it before having to go out in public haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDefiance View Post
I do a lot, ahem, did a lot, with my hair before dd was born. I used a 40 developer with a purple bleach ... Foil and then to get the orange yellow color out I used wella grey coloring which will turn your hair grey/silver if u leave it in too long but I went white blonde in the front... I'm looking for a picture...
A purple bleach? I dont think i have ever heard of that?? I dont want to go white blonde, just a light cool blonde
February 19th, 2014, 10:36 PM
Yes a purple base makes the red/yellow/orange less noticeable! Blue works well but try to find one with a purple base! I found a pic, I'll load it...
February 19th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Ok not the bear picture to show it but, u can see it's not white white but it's not yellow either

Here, it's usually pretty white...

February 19th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Here's the way it looked right after I dyed it for the first picture without the grow out

February 20th, 2014, 08:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes purple fights to get out the orange/red color.

Most bleach that you buy at the drug store is going to be blue. I dont think Ive ever seen a purple one that the public can buy but its been like 10 years since I was doing hair lol

I personal preference is also to stay away from Ash blondes. On the color wheel of hair ash=green.

Oh another very important thing with virgin hair is DO NOT put the bleach on your roots to start off with. If you do put the bleach on your entire head all at the same time your roots are going to be white for about an inch from your scalp and the rest of your hair will be darker. The heat from your head makes the bleach work faster. The warmth of your scalp heats the roots up a lot. The roots are also not as hard/tough as the rest of your hair so all round they just bleach way way faster.
Kellylovesricky likes this.

February 20th, 2014, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OH! and one more thing. I have tired out this online hair color place to buy my dye the last few colors, then went back to drugstore brand... The online salon stuff is just SO nice. They say its salon quality and honestly I can tell the difference. I have very thick very dry curly hair and after I dye my hair with this stuff its so bouncy and silky feeling. I honestly never recommend stuff but this stuff is awesome. I would recommend you getting a blonde color from here to fill your hair after bleaching it (even if you dont buy from them you gotta fill bleached hair)

Your first order is only $10 I think I get $10 off if you use the link below. Use it or not I still totally recommend stuff like this.... Oh and the color they sent me was a perfect match for my hair.
eSalon.com | Custom Formulated Hair Color

February 20th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by PointDefiance View Post
Yes a purple base makes the red/yellow/orange less noticeable! Blue works well but try to find one with a purple base! I found a pic, I'll load it...
Hmm...im looking at Sally beauty and all i see is the blue bleach.

Quote:
Yes purple fights to get out the orange/red color.

Most bleach that you buy at the drug store is going to be blue. I dont think Ive ever seen a purple one that the public can buy but its been like 10 years since I was doing hair lol

I personal preference is also to stay away from Ash blondes. On the color wheel of hair ash=green.

Oh another very important thing with virgin hair is DO NOT put the bleach on your roots to start off with. If you do put the bleach on your entire head all at the same time your roots are going to be white for about an inch from your scalp and the rest of your hair will be darker. The heat from your head makes the bleach work faster. The warmth of your scalp heats the roots up a lot. The roots are also not as hard/tough as the rest of your hair so all round they just bleach way way faster.
Im looking at Sally Beauty and all they have is blue bleach, so must not be able to buy the purple bleach. They had a red/gold correcter you can add to the bleach mixture, think it will work the same?

Yes, I learned that lesson before! Although i didnt have virgin hair but it still lightened the roots way faster than the rest of my hair. I heard that foiling your whole head while bleaching works better than just applying the bleach and wrapping in plastic...that true??

Quote:
OH! and one more thing. I have tired out this online hair color place to buy my dye the last few colors, then went back to drugstore brand... The online salon stuff is just SO nice. They say its salon quality and honestly I can tell the difference. I have very thick very dry curly hair and after I dye my hair with this stuff its so bouncy and silky feeling. I honestly never recommend stuff but this stuff is awesome. I would recommend you getting a blonde color from here to fill your hair after bleaching it (even if you dont buy from them you gotta fill bleached hair)

Your first order is only $10 I think I get $10 off if you use the link below. Use it or not I still totally recommend stuff like this.... Oh and the color they sent me was a perfect match for my hair.
eSalon.com | Custom Formulated Hair Color
Ill check them out. I was looking at the Wella Color at Sally's but i will look at that site too.
February 20th, 2014, 01:07 PM
Mega Super Mommy
is say the corrector would help. Its been so long since I would have used it I cant be much help with that one.

Foils are a lot more work and you have to be quick at putting them in. You dont want to only be half done your head and the bottom foils are ready to be washed out and your top foils are just done. If that happens you have to take the foils which are done out and wash/spray them down with water and get the bleach off them. You can get also spots too if the bleach is on the hair in the foil but patchy and not thoroughly through the strands. You can get dry spots and that turns into orange patches. Foils can be stressful but by far get the best results when done right, they also save your scalp from being burnt. With shorter hair they are a lot easier than long hair. Id say do them if your mom has some practice at putting them in. Watch some youtube videos or something first, you wanna be familiar with what you are doing. There are a few things that can go wrong.
Case2014 likes this.

February 20th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I get my purple bleach at Sally, let me find a link for you....

http://www.sallybeauty.com/on/demand...cgid=Hair05-04

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search