Thinking more and more about...

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By lovemylittlemiss
  • 1 Post By anjewellove
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2014, 08:05 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
... going au natural with this birth. I'm doing a hospital birth with a midwife, but after this birthing class I'm more motivated to try it sans epidural. I *really* don't want to be stuck lying down and laboring, for one.

So for those who went au natural, whether by choice or circumstance, how did you manage pain? What were some techniques, positions or tools that you used to help cope?
March 7th, 2014, 08:08 AM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was almost au natural with my first, I took a pain med for 1 hour because I wasnt relaxing between contractions. This tine around I am taking a hypnobirthing class. And I also just breathed through the pain with the first...

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
March 7th, 2014, 08:28 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I mine were home births, so really, I had no choice. Did I ask for it? You bet, but, in my defense that was my 3rd sons labor and his was fast and hard. I knew it wasn't coming and that I didn't want it at all.

I just focused where I could. I told people to shut up if I needed them to. I can't say on positions, it was basically whatever worked at that time. My side, leaning over, even my back. My husbands support was probably the biggest thing that got me through and being vocal. I just had to let it out somehow. Sounds cliche, but that's how I was and I'm a very quiet person in real life.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I was terrified of an epi the thought of a huge needle in my spine scared me. I was determined to have a natural birth with my first. All of my children have been born in the hospital..I had a midwife with my first and an OB after that. With my first I did alot of walking halls listening to my body. I did a few hot baths they helped. When it was time to push my midwife tried to make me lay down that hurt soo bad. My body wanted to up right so that's what I did. I remember the ring of fire and telling my midwife to figure out a different way to get baby out and she talked me through it. I was able to walk around after birth but found it hard and needed help. I was able to shower right away and felt amazing. Number 2 I was induced labor was fast and rough I caved for an epi which I ended up being only half numb since I was going from 5-10 while getting it. It sucked that I couldn't get out of bed right away but I was exhausted and napped. Oh and with my first I wanted to sleep soo bad but couldn't through contractions so my midwife gave me meds to sleep and that,was all I needed for good progress to be made. Each person is different and I wish you the best!

March 7th, 2014, 09:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't take any natural child birth classes but I just had the attitude that "this too shall pass". I was in labor a LONG time but even labor at it's longest doesn't last forever. I think if you go into it with a determined attitude and persevere you will be ok. Every woman can give birth naturally, it just depends on if you choose to or not. My one piece of advice is to make sure you are going to the bathroom a lot...I read somehwere afterwards you should try to go every hour. I didn't do this and I think it slowed my labor down...it got to the point where I physically couldn't go so the midwife had to cath me quick to get it out (not comfortable!) Shortly after that it was time to push. I did walk around but I can't say it helped tremendously with the pain or with progression. The worst for me was sitting actually, not lying down. I've heard that water helps tremendously but they wouldn't let me in the tub since my water had broke...I stood under a hot shower though. That helped a little.

March 7th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Also two things that I thought were encouraging/empowering:

-I tried to think that each contraction I had meant the baby was that much closer to being there.

-I read somewhere a quote along the lines of "Contractions can't be more powerful or stronger than you because they ARE you".
Tree_Love and girlsofsummer like this.

March 7th, 2014, 10:46 AM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess I just did it...?

I didn't use anything.....I was in the shower most of the time. Also my ob is awesome and told the nurses I could to whatever I wanted. So that meant zero continous monitoring, zero IVs, I ate when & what I wanted, walked around, was in the shower pretty much all of my labor.

My first was an induction with an epi. My second was natural with a sunny side up baby and had back to back labor. My 2nd was SO much better!!! I LOVED it!

Also...you can have an idea of how you're labor will go but you might find once you're actually in labor all the things you thought you'd do goes out the window!
Exp. I'm a labor quietly in a dark room kind of women, I thought it would be more of a family thing with my favorite music play list.
I thought I would NEED my husband & honestly I can't deal with his touch. It's just too much for me while laboring for some odd reason.
With #2 I envisioned using my exercise ball a lot during labor and being on my hands & knees but both were super uncomfortable to me in the actual event of labor! I was most comfortable standing up, in the shower & if I needed to rest I sat on the toilet for a bit.

I remember having to tell myself over and over, this will be over soon...this is not forever! That helped A LOT!
inyourhonor likes this.

Last edited by anjewellove; March 7th, 2014 at 10:57 AM.
March 7th, 2014, 10:47 AM
Seaweed's Avatar Super Mommy
I want to go as natural as possible too! I think I will use gas and air though but hopefully nothing else. I am thinking of just breathing and listening to music and having warm baths and hot water bottle until I am in the transition stage and then go on gas and air. I am hoping that if I hold that long and do it this way it will have a bigger effect! :-)
March 7th, 2014, 10:51 AM
Tree_Love's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't done it natural, but I hope to this time. I mean homebirth, I kind of have to and it was sort of the point! Anyways, find a doula!! Some insurance companies cover part of the cost and she will be an invaluable resource of help. A good one will be encouraging, informative and helpful; an exceptional one will be empowering as well. They should have techniques that DH can do with you to help you relax.

I truly believe the key to having a natural birth is to relax and be calm. You accomplish nothing the way you want to when you are tense and stressed out, think about how things continually go wrong when you are already late for work or an appointment... Be sure to plan and have a plan b and plan c so you aren't caught off guard. Find some good birth affirmations to help you feel powerful.

Don't be afraid to voice your opinion either. You are giving life to a little person that you built, you are the star of the show and what you say needs to go. If someone is making you crazy, don't be afraid to tell them to leave. Even if it is a nurse, tell her she is hindering your progress and you want her to swap with someone else. Tell people to shush if their talking is distracting. Take charge but always listen to your instinct and your care provider's experience. Trust your body and your baby, you were designed for this!!!

Elan Dakota 7/28/2012
Paxx Tarlow & Sage Finley 10/20/2012
Rhys Caelan 5/3/2013

Last edited by Tree_Love; March 7th, 2014 at 10:54 AM.
March 7th, 2014, 11:46 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
These suggestions are all really helpful. I didn't do a formal birth plan because other than for sure not wanting to be induced and not wanting a c-section unless medically necessary, I'm realistic that things may come up that are beyond my control or rather beyond my pain tolerance!

So this hypnobirthing stuff, did it help those of you who have used it? My sister is a psychologist who is certified hynotherapist, and she offered to help me with some meditations and exercises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
Also two things that I thought were encouraging/empowering:

-I tried to think that each contraction I had meant the baby was that much closer to being there.

-I read somewhere a quote along the lines of "Contractions can't be more powerful or stronger than you because they ARE you".
I really like both of these statements! Thank you! The instructor said something else last night: "Your body is well-designed to do this. Get out of your headspace and let it."
anjewellove likes this.
March 7th, 2014, 11:52 AM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes m! That is awesome she is willing to help! I do have the hypnobabies cd's I study them with #2 but didn't use it during labor. This time I haven't gotten passed the peaceful sleep now cd hahha

March 7th, 2014, 01:38 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Just wanted to chyme in. I did not have a natural birth with DS, the epi was my saving grace (though it did wear off by the time I started pushing. No one had warned me about that...)That being said, in the hours before I got the epi, I labored in the tub (ABSOLUTELY THE BEST!) and waddled around my room. I tried walking the hallways, but I was too embarrassed when people would watch me as they walked by. It really helped me too when DF was in pain lol! It was nice to have someone going through pain with me. I was awful...

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search