What helped you cope with labor?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Londons Butterfly
  • 1 Post By peace.love.audrey

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2014, 12:18 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
What brought you comfort or helped you stay mentally focused? Something specific that you remember -- maybe a technique your SO used, a position, water, sound, etc? Curious to know!
March 17th, 2014, 01:13 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
An epidural lol.

My longest labor was 9 or so hours (10 years ago). I spent the first 6/7 of it walking around talking to my husband before getting the epidural. Now I would probably rather listen to music or read than talk to my husband lol. He irritated me the last time because I was saying no to the eye drops and he kept saying oh just let them do it it's not a big deal. And the epidural. I wanted to wait and he said I should just get it because I know I will want it.
Ellies_mom likes this.

Scarlett Diane

March 17th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Mainly just a "this too shall pass" attitude. I've heard being in the water helps but they wouldn't let me at that hospital since my water had broken :/ Going to bring a tennis ball this time as I had some back labor last time. I wouldn't say acupuncture helped with the pain but I do think that it helped me progress. Not sure if I will go natural again or not. If I'm slow to progress like last time I will probably try to get an epi.

March 17th, 2014, 02:11 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Jacuzzi tub was my favorite thing in the world! (After the epi lol!)I remember using my mom's eyes as focal points as well. I don't know why I decided on that, but it really helped me breathe through the contractions. Oh! And my ABC's! I know that sounds weird, but I knew if I sang through it in my head, the contraction would be over by the time I got to Z

March 17th, 2014, 04:38 PM
Super Mommy
I listened to a hypnobabies "early first stage" recording laying in bed for the first hour. I think helped me to totally relax so things could kick into gear, which they did, VERY fast after that. Once the recording was over I tried to get in the bath and realized I couldn't sit still anymore at all, so I walked and jiggled and danced around timing contractions for another hour, then left for the birth center. Got there and I was 5 cm.

Then I spent a very intense hour in the shower, leaning over a ball, hanging from a handrail, making deep vocalizations during contractions. I could NOT sit or recline at all, needed to be standing or leaning over something, or on all fours. Pretty much constantly sort of swaying.

And then that was it! I was 10 cm, pushed for one hour in various positions, BABY. Sounds easy, I know. It wasn't, but it was fast and totally manageable. I basically just shut off my mind and let my body do its thing. Hardly spoke to anyone the entire time, though normally I'm a chatterbox who never shuts up. :-) My husband tried to talk to me and be supportive, but during transition in the shower I told him to go away.
March 17th, 2014, 04:57 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
Music and having only a few people there who knew how to take instructions like shut up when I don't want to talk. Lol. When I was trying to focus thru contractions I didn't want people yapping in my ear or touching me.
AlaskaMom likes this.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
March 17th, 2014, 05:16 PM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't have time to need anything. My labor was so fast that I went from them telling me I wasn't in labor to pushing out DS in 2 hours. I was determined they were going to send me home!

March 17th, 2014, 06:59 PM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
Shower & quiet!

March 17th, 2014, 08:39 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
I had an epi at 6cm when the pain was getting real, then we watched Blades Of Glory and took a "nap" aka, DH tried to sleep in a shifty couch bed, and the nurses "woke" me every few hours to check me. I was in labor overnight so I assume that made time seem to go by faster. I don't know what I would have done if it was daytime =\
March 18th, 2014, 07:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Early stage I liked people to talk to and watching TV - basically anything distracting. Later I wanted people to shut up and go away and I just focused on trying to freaking breath - but then I had a lot of pit at that point so I don't know if "regular" labor is as intense as that.

March 18th, 2014, 07:46 AM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
I was induced and only got to 5cm before my c-section, so I don't have a lot of input, but when the contractions started to pick up all I wanted was to lean over the bed and rest my forearms on it. Felt so good! Anything that put me on my back made me cry, it hurt so bad.

March 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Great suggestions! Keep 'em coming!
March 18th, 2014, 11:28 AM
emilyeeb's Avatar Veteran
I had back labor. MY mother in law rubbed a water bottle against my lower back and rolled it, pushing as hard as she could for a very long time. I also had to stand and sway, i was on all fours at times, and had a "pull up" bar above the bed that I gripped to every time my contraction got too intense. I didn't have any seconds between contractions so I could not really calm my body down. I also ended up having an intrathecal 12 hours after arriving at the hospital, which helped to calm my body. 2 hours later, I was pushing her out. 45 mins and boom, a baby was born. The intrathecal started to wear off as the doc stitched my rip up. Then, Igot up and walked to the bathroom to get cleaned up. Painful labor but wouldn't change a thing.

Thank you for my siggy Jaidynsmum!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search