Did that appointment really just happen??

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By lovemylittlemiss
  • 2 Post By *CAMM*
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Super Mommy
I had the strangest appointment ever today. I met with an anesthetist today at the hospital I will be going to. First her assistant asked me 500 questions about risk factors for surgery. Listed off 5 million ways to die during a C-section and generally just scared the crap out of me. Then the actual anesthetist came in, read all my answers and said "great! You don't have any risk factors for surgery besides a bit of anemia!" That's what you got out of that paper?? I was thinking that I would be amazed if I didn't drop dead before I hit the exit door today. That women scared me lol.

Then she listed off all the things that went wrong when I gave birth to my daughter. This part was amazing to me since we'd never been told a lot of it in so much detail. When I went in for my 38 week drs apt that day I was 3 cm dilated so they booked me into the hospital saying I was in labor. When I didn't progress they broke my water, then still nothing happened so they gave me Pitocin. She said it was very clear I shouldn't have been sent to the hospital since my body clearly wasn't ready. I didn't know that so it made me a bit mad that they admitted me that day. Then when I was 10 cms I started pushing and after an hour had made no progress at all. I remember them telling me I wasn't doing a very good job pushing so they turned off the epidural so I could push better. 2 hours later the dr came to check on me and found my daughter horrifically stuck. WHY did it take 3 hours for the dr to check on me???!!! Then he literally had to rip my daughter out of me because she was in sever distress and since my epidural was long dead I felt every bit of it. I passed out. When I woke up my daughter was crying but apparently she had to be resuscitated while I was out. I had broken blood vessels from head to toe from pushing so hard for so long and ended up with more stitches than I thought possible. It was pretty hard hearing all of this since it happened to me!! I only knew bits and pieces. The whole story was tough to hear but Im glad she told me.

So she told me that this hospital deals with a lot of complicated deliveries and are totally comfortable dealing with a case like me. Her recommendation was to cancel the C-section and go with a vaginal birth. What would happen is I would check in as early into labor as possible and immediately I would be given an epidural and catheter and I would have to stay in bed the whole labor. I wouldn't be allowed to eat the entire time (with DD this was a little over 24 hours) in case I needed a c-section and would not be allowed to get up or even go on all fours. Then she told me that I would likely need forceps or vaccum or even both. the entire time Id be prepped for surgery just in case. Is it only me or does this seem like a way worse option?! I personally don't believe at all that forceps or vaccum should EVER be in a birth plan!!! I feel like they are an emergency sort of thing only. When I compare this to a scheduled, calm, controlled c section. WHY?? Yes a C-section is not the first choice but when weighed against a birth scenario like that one. Holy cow.

It was the appointment out of the twilight zone.....

March 18th, 2014, 02:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow that must have been crazy for them to rehash your traumatic first birth! It sounds like they screwed up during your first L&D which might have contributed to the trauma you had to go through. I would personally attempt a vaginal birth but I also didn't go through a traumatic birth like you did. I think if you feel more safe with the idea of a section it's def. in your right to choose that. I know someone that had a traumatic SD birth with her first and he wasn't even that big (under 8lbs) and she and her doctors decided to have a scheduled section for her second. She has type I diabetes so I suppose that contributed to a higher chance of SD happening again.
anjewellove likes this.

March 18th, 2014, 06:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There is a huge focus these days on avoiding a C-section if there is any possible way and it sounds like she is in that camp. Does your OB agree that forceps/vacuum would likely be necessary? Why would you have to have an epi right away? I don't know. I think I would talk over all of that with your Dr and get his/her take. If they really think a vaginal delivery is going to be that difficult I would probably opt for a C-section over use of forceps/vacuum. I've known several people who had to resort to one or the other and they all adamantly recommend against them.

March 18th, 2014, 07:42 AM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
That pretty much sounds like they're expecting a c-section and just letting you try without thinking a vaginal delivery will actually happen. The things they would require would make it very, very difficult for labor to progress. If my hospital insisted on those things, I'd would either be going somewhere else or scheduling a c-section! I'm so sorry for how your first birth went, after that I'm amazed you can even consider going through labor again!

March 18th, 2014, 08:14 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You dont' have to go in right away..and you dont have to have an epi right away either... if you get an epi right away it will slow things down that early...not moving will slow things down. I would avoid a c section because it seems like an "easier" choice but man its..ROUGH.
IF it were me I would go in when the contractions were close together and when I could no longer talk through them...eat protein rich snacks before you go in to keep up your energy...and then opt for the epi later on..I personally feel epi's do help just not when they are used at 1-3cm.. when I did my OB rotations there were a couple of women who got epis at 1cm dilated...and both ended up with failure to progress and a c section by the end of the day. I had an epi at 6cm with my son and I feel it helped..my body relaxed and I was a 10 in less than 3 hours.

March 18th, 2014, 10:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
sounds like she has faith you could have done it on your own if not rushed to have your water broke and given pitocin.

March 18th, 2014, 01:56 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *CAMM* View Post
You dont' have to go in right away..and you dont have to have an epi right away either... if you get an epi right away it will slow things down that early...not moving will slow things down. I would avoid a c section because it seems like an "easier" choice but man its..ROUGH.
IF it were me I would go in when the contractions were close together and when I could no longer talk through them...eat protein rich snacks before you go in to keep up your energy...and then opt for the epi later on..I personally feel epi's do help just not when they are used at 1-3cm.. when I did my OB rotations there were a couple of women who got epis at 1cm dilated...and both ended up with failure to progress and a c section by the end of the day. I had an epi at 6cm with my son and I feel it helped..my body relaxed and I was a 10 in less than 3 hours.
No these are their "rules". This is the only way they would let me try a vag birth so I would have to be there right away, have an epi immeditely, and be stuck in bed the whole time. That way I'm ready for surgery when they say the word. Otherwise if I dont follow "the rules" then I automatically get a c-section when I walk in. Sounds harsh but this is actually the only hospital within a 3 hour drive that would even let me attempt it.

And I totally agree.....to me it also sounds like they're setting me up with all these pre-surgical guidelines and waiting for me to fail. Well honestly I was really trying to avoid it in the beginning but now I honestly don't care one way or another how I deliver. A healthy baby and Mom is all I care about. And putting forceps and vacuum into my birth plan is ridiculous IMHO.

Unfortunately my doctor has said he wont deliver me since our hospital here is super low tech. So I need to go to a big city so there is a surgeon, and NICU and such.

The funny thing is I've totally come to terms with a c-section. Hey if I get a healthy baby out o the deal and its the safer way I'll go with it. It just greatly annoys me that NOW I have people trying to convince me of a vag birth. Guys....I fought for this for MONTH! Where were you then?! Lol!!

March 18th, 2014, 03:41 PM
dindin's Avatar Veteran
That sounds frightening!

1/12 3/13
March 18th, 2014, 04:39 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Gosh that's just awful. You could just "not have a ride" or "not notice you're in labor" and go in later! lol! Honestly with all of their restrictions, I'd just opt for the C-section. What a pain.

March 18th, 2014, 04:40 PM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It sounds like the doctor doesnt want you to have a c section though so she may work with you on the "rules" They really don't have much say in what happens to your body..they try to act like it..but legally they don't have a lot of ground to force you to do one thing or another. They try tossing around rules a lot for women attempting a vbac but when it comes down to it they can't do anything or force you to do anything you don't want..including laying in bed and getting an epi.

With that said..I hope you get the birth you want whether its a c section or vaginal. good luck

March 18th, 2014, 08:39 PM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
They won't know. You can go in with contractions 2 minutes apart and unable to talk through them and have been at home laboring for 10 hours or be the same way and have just started feeling like you're in labor. So not sure how those "rules" can be placed on you. And the rules you stated suck. I don't understand any of them and why they are in place. Yeah they just want to make sure you and baby are ok but they are going crazy overboard here.

March 19th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Wow that sounds crazy! I see the point of avoiding a c section but I don't see why all those "rules". I like to point out that since you have had a baby your body is that much more prepared to have another and your chances of a easier birth have gone up a lot. So remember that when you trying to decide weather to try for a vaginal birth.

March 19th, 2014, 09:27 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This seems unethical. I think that doctor was talking out of her bum on the rules. You have rights!!! Doctors like that drive me crazy because they treat you like you have no involvement in the decision process. I would not go in with those restrictions and try to have a vaginal birth- no way. That said, I had a vacuum birth my first and my second practically slid out on her own so I wonder how they even know you'd have to have a forcep or vac birth? I guess they think you're too small to fit a baby on your own? In that case it seems silly to even attempt it. My vacuum birth went smoothly and quickly and was fine but it was still really traumatic to my lady parts lol. It hurt, I needed a big episiotomy and the recovery was long and hard. I wouldn't agree to a birth plan that assumed the use of a vacuum for sure!!
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search