Carsear Dilema

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 18th, 2014, 08:27 AM
Veteran
Ok, so my husband wants to get a travel system. However, since he is a first time dad he doesn't know much about safety standards etc and would like to just buy "whatever is the cheapest one" lol. I have travel system picked out that is $199.99. The infant seat says it goes up to 35lbs. But I would really like to keep this lil guy rear facing as long as possible(i didnt with my son and promptly turned him around once he was 20lbs and 1yr old, i at least waited for both to be met, but i didnt know anything about extended rear facing until he was 3 and by that time he was over the weight limits to rear face anyways). I dont know if I would be comfortable keeping a toddler in an infant seat even if it is rated for 35lbs. Would you do it?

So I have been loooking at some convertible seats and I am still very much in love with Diono Radian RXT seat($271.99). It doesnt look like it is super bulky or heavy but I have always heard really good things about it. I also came across the Evenflo Symphony DLX Platinum($249.99) and Evenflo Symphony 65 DLX($229.99). But it looks like they are pretty bulky and heavy.

Currently my husband and I only have one vehicle and it is a 99 Mustang so I am not even sure if any of those convertible seats would fit in our car in a rear facing position?

So do I let my husband get his cheaper infant seat/stroller combo on the terms that I get the Convertible seat I want once he out grows the infant seat(which on the one he wants is 22lbs), and hope by then we have the family car/suv that I want to get? Or do i get the stroller/infant seat i found that supposedly goes up to 35lbs and find a cheaper convertible seat later?
March 18th, 2014, 09:21 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
You can always upgrade over time. I have an infant carrier (Even though I plan on baby wearing a lot) because I still have a 3 year old in our MyRide 65. He was in that seat by 8 months old, rear facing till he was 2 1/2.

It may be a super tight fit. I drive a Jeep Commander and when my son was rear facing in the MR65, our passenger seat was basically all the way up. There was no movement room. There's a bit more now, but not much and this is an SUV.

We considered getting another convertible for this reason, but decided on the carrier because our convertible will still be usable when our other sons move up. Which by the time this baby is out of the carrier, we will more than likely switch kids around. I also have a Graco Nautilus.

Also, it's not just weight, you also have to look into your child's height. I have tall kids who out grown infant carriers faster in their height (as in head will hang over by 7/8 months) than they do the weight. My 3 year old weight wise, would fit into the carrier we bought this baby.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 18th, 2014, 10:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
When they are in a bucket seat you have to move them to a larger seat once their head is higher than a inch below the back of the seat. So honestly its more that they will get too long for the seat not too heavy. Then get one of the convertible seats. I had my son rear facing till he was 3 in a convertable then turned it around and he used that until he was 6. We just got him a full back booster (even though the old seat could be used as a booster too) so that it was easier for him to buckle himself in.

March 18th, 2014, 10:48 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Expecting baby #1
I keep seeing "Caesar Dilemma" as the title of this post, and now I really want a salad. That is all I have to add.
inyourhonor likes this.
March 18th, 2014, 10:53 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post
I keep seeing "Caesar Dilemma" as the title of this post, and now I really want a salad. That is all I have to add.
And now I want one, too. Thanks.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 18th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
And now I want one, too. Thanks.
lol! I totally didnt realize i put an r instead of a t until i came back to it!!
March 18th, 2014, 11:09 AM
Veteran
I figured he would out grow the height limits before the weight limits on the infant seat in the travel system i want. I guess I'm not sure which way to go. Get a cheaper infant seat/stroller combo and a higher priced better quality(in my opinion) convertible seat later, or get the more expensive infant seat and a cheaper convertible seat later.
March 18th, 2014, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You will use the convertible seat for years and the infant seat for months. I would get a better quality convertible

March 18th, 2014, 01:39 PM
May 2013 Cohost
As long as the cheaper infant seat is safe, I would go for it. It's true it's not used very long before they grow out of it, but you might want it for another child down the road. Good brands are Chicco, Graco, and Britax. A toddler would not fit in an infant seat anyway due to height restrictions, even though the weight limit may be 35 lbs. The height limit is still probably only 30 inches, which most kids reach around a year.

Last edited by kary4; March 18th, 2014 at 01:43 PM.
March 18th, 2014, 01:55 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I went from an infant seat to a diono RXT for my 18 month old the infant seats they outgrow them most of the time by height before weight. My son should fit in his convertible seat rest facing till 3-4.

March 18th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
I would go cheaper infant seat more expensive convertable. You may get a year out of the infant seat but will get at least 2-4 years out of the convertable seat

March 18th, 2014, 03:43 PM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
I personally hate the infant car seats, but that's just me. I have heard the radian rxt is wide and tall. I would see if u can find the dimensions in it and measure, if the mustangs back sea is anything like my old eclipses back seat u may have a hard time getting a radian rxt in there!
March 18th, 2014, 04:33 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Personally I would invest more money in the convertible later because the kiddo will be in it longer.

March 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Veteran
Thanks ladies! thats what i was thinking as well but just wanted to get some other opinions.
March 19th, 2014, 08:50 AM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The infant seat is nice, but my dad outweighed hers by 5 months. We will be using it again with this baby, but also already bought the convertible seat. We use the britax marathon 70.

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search