I wonder if I can not gain weight at the end of the 3rd trimester?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea1122
  • 1 Post By BB2014
  • 1 Post By Ellies_mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 19th, 2014, 09:20 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I'm already about 10 lbs over my goal weight for this pregnancy, but, in the last week I've noticed I'm ballooning up from swelling. So, obviously I'm retaining water. When I was at L&D yesterday, my blood pressure was slightly elevated too. I'm wondering if that's from the weight gain and my highly processed diet?

I've only got 6 weeks but I figure regardless of weight gain- turning my diet around now would be a good thing. So, I'm cutting out processed snack foods and sweets as much as possible from here on out. But, I'm worried the damage is already done as far as weight goes because baby is going to be putting on weight now regardless (which I want- yay baby!!). I'm curious if anyone else has had good lucky changing their diet to reduce gain. I'd be really happy if I brought the swelling down and actually lost a few pounds. Now, I'm not planning on restricting myself calorie wise at this point because obviously that is a bad idea so just eating healthier. Wish I could say if exercise more but I still feel like poo lol the cramping and contractions seem gone today but it's been replaced by worse nausea! oh well- I'll take the nausea over the other stuff for sure!!!
March 19th, 2014, 09:52 AM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
If I were you I would not worry about weight too much. Your gonna gain what your body needs. I do however think it's possible to lessen your weight gain by diet change. Since having GD I have not gained any weight. Eating low carb can possibly really slow down your weight gain, but again it may not. If I could I would still be having sweets everyday at this point, but if you think you really need to you can try low carbs. It may work to slow down or stop your weight gain it may not. Good luck though! I'm very overweight so I know how hard it is to see those numbers go up on the scale even if its for a good reason.

I gained 35lbs with my first and did not have GD

Gained 10lbs with my second and I did have GD

And I gained negative 1lb with my 3rd, and again I did have GD

This time I'm at 15lbs gain but I don't think I will gain anymore because of the low carbs and walking.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

Last edited by Andrea1122; March 19th, 2014 at 09:54 AM.
March 19th, 2014, 10:36 AM
I doubt I'll be able to do low carb because they're just so much of what I eat normally. I'm mainly concerned about the water retention actually because it's so uncomfortable!! My legs are huge and it hurts to bend them. Also, my face is getting so...fat for lack of another word lol of course I decided to eat better and now it won't matter much since I apparently still have this stomach thing. I'm really starting to be concerned that it's listeria from a turkey sandwich I ate without thinking the other day!!! I am not good about avoiding lunch meat but had I thought twice I would not have eaten the premade turkey sandwich at 7-11 for sure :/
March 19th, 2014, 11:27 AM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
That water retention does suck! I had so much sweling with my first but nothing with these last 3 pregnanices expect for feet swelling.. Cutting salt should help with the water weight. It is so hard I think to cut anything out of our diets right now. Most days I'm dying for some cookies cake and doughnuts. But I have no choice so it makes it easier.

March 19th, 2014, 11:58 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I've gained a lot too. It's bad when my 3 year old says to me, "Mommy, the baby is making you get big everywhere." He pointed to my face and arms. He wasn't meaning any harm, he's just 3, but ouch!
girlsofsummer likes this.

March 19th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Super Mommy
I have no idea if its actually something that works but I started epsom salt baths 8 days ago. My dr recommends them to every patient in the third trimester to avoid swelling. I havent had any swelling I didnt think, and he even checks me every appointment but I lost 4 pounds in 8 days after I started these. I was super worried and phoned the dr right away and he just said I had obvioulsy had some swelling I hadnt noticed! So he wasnt worried at all. My blood pressure has also been lower than it was so Im glad Im having the baths. And really....its a good excuse for some "me time" every night

I've only gained 9 pounds (5 now) total so dropping 4 pounds was pretty crazy!
mommy2b43 likes this.

March 19th, 2014, 12:28 PM
dindin's Avatar Veteran
I am going to try the Epson Bath!

1/12 3/13
March 19th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I always forget to add Epsom salts but I do take them occasionally! I'll have to remember to make an effort to put it in! I think I can already feel a difference today eating better and less and not processed- well not super processed- I did just eat some kix but I figure it is a better option than most processed food...better than the sugar cookies that are sitting on the counter I have balsamic chicken in the crock pot too. So I'll make that with some egg noodles and a veggie. I just wish I didn't feel so sick.

This is actually not an uncommon dinner for us but I'm skipping the bread I've been serving since I've been pregnant- too many carbs.
March 19th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm a bloated whale these days. I don't think any dietary changes would help me...I just retain water really badly during pregnancy. Already don't eat processed food and I drink 2-3 liters of water a day. Doctor said not to cut salt as it's important and doesn't truly contribute to much swelling. Don't feel bad if your diet change doesn't work out...I think some of us just gain more than others, particularly when it comes to retaining water.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; March 19th, 2014 at 01:22 PM.
March 19th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Well, I only gained like 32 lbs I think with my last so I know this is not necessary but I did retain water with her as well! I'm sure there's plenty of salt in the occasional processed foods I'll be eating to keep me okay I do agree that if you're going to retain water there's not much you can do but if I can at least keep from gaining more fat...I'm just so uncomfortable!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search