If my mom's labors were fast...

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By girlsofsummer
  • 1 Post By bella88
  • 1 Post By joanna26

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2014, 07:13 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
...will mine be? She just told me that with me (middle child), she went to her 12 p.m. weekly appt where her OB told her she was 3cm dilated. She felt nothing, but he sent her home to pack and get to the hospital. I was born at 5:55 p.m. From first feeling contractions until birthing my older sister, it was 7 hours. My younger sister was born at 27 weeks; things moved quickly after she had bad back labor and they couldnt stop her contractions.

So should I be nervous? Mention it to my midwife maybe?
March 23rd, 2014, 08:44 AM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
Not necessarily. ..
My moms longest was 9 hours, shortest 2 hours.
My longest was 24 hours, shortest 17 hours.
Sister #1 longest was 37 hours, shortest 21 hours.
Sister #2 longest 12 hours, shortest 4 hours.

Last edited by anjewellove; March 23rd, 2014 at 09:57 PM.
March 23rd, 2014, 09:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Some people see a correlation but I wouldn't bet on it I have see ladies who's mother labored 2 hours and they go on to labor days ect...

March 23rd, 2014, 09:42 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My moms labor with me (her 2nd) was 2 hours. I was out in 25 minutes after she got to the hospital.

My brother (her first) was 10+ hours of labor.

My first was 27 hours
My second was 15 hours
My third was 5 1/2 hours

I don't believe there is a connection to my mom. Each woman is different.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 23rd, 2014, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I hope that there is for my sake haha. I don't know how long my mom was in labor with my older sister but with me (middle child) it went really fast...like 2 or 3 hours fast. My dad was out buying Christmas presents that morning and she started having contractions. Of course since it was the 80's she really had no way of getting ahold of him. When he got back they rushed to the hospital and I was born 20 minutes later. My first labor was ridiculously long so it would be nice if this baby came pretty quickly like I did!

ETA: I also think it has a lot to do with what position the baby is in and other factors. They say usually subsequent labors are shorter than the first but I have a friend that had a longer second labor.

March 23rd, 2014, 10:46 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
I don't know how long my first labor was. I didn't realize I was in labor probably until I was close to transition. My daughter was born about 2 hours after getting to the hospital. My second was about 9 hours from my water partially breaking to birth. My third my water broke at 10/11pm I didn't go in until 8am and had him 6 hours after that. My fourth was an induction. Just over 3 hours from getting to the hospital to having him.

My sister had a 36 hour labor before needing an emergency c section. The only girl in our family to get one so far. My mom doesn't remember her labors. So I can't go off of those.

Scarlett Diane

March 23rd, 2014, 11:18 AM
PointDefiance's Avatar My job is life itself.
My mom said it was about 28 hours with me, I was her first, I was also due January 20th and wasn't born till the 28th.

My labor with DD was about 12 hours, she was due Oct 17th and arrived Oct 11th.

Based on my own experience it's woman to woman, nothing genetic.
March 23rd, 2014, 12:31 PM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Yeah I have to agree with the other ladies, I think each woman and each labor are very different. My mother had to have an emergency c section with me ( planned for my sister) she was in labor for an extreme amount of time and I just refused to move along. My sister and I both had fairly short labors that didn't end in a c section.

March 24th, 2014, 08:23 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Darn it!! I'd hoped you'd all be like, "YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE BIRTH SO FAST IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE THE FAST AND FURIOUS IV!"

Now it sounds like it could be more like the Titanic sinking. Slow and painful. Doh!
Londons Butterfly likes this.
March 24th, 2014, 08:26 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The thing is, you just never know. I had NO clue my 3rd would be as fast as he was. We've decided to go along with that thinking this time as a just in case. Because I don't know.

I know people who've had super fast first labors, or people like me, who had the long one who thought it was never going to end. If I could know in advance, you bet I would!

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 24th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Super Mommy
Here is my response for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post
"YOU'RE GOING TO GIVE BIRTH SO FAST IT'S GOING TO BE LIKE THE FAST AND FURIOUS IV!"

Hey it can't hurt to believe it, right? My mom had moderately fast labors, but mine was much faster. No clue why, but I do think prenatal yoga and hypnobabies both really helped.
March 24th, 2014, 02:18 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, you know what I think has a decent amount to do with it? The whole fear thing that seems to be pushed on ladies more nowadays. It's like we are all supposed to be terrified of labour: of what happens, of how much it hurts, the loss of control, the "requirement" of pain management. Not to mention the whole side of pain management where you worry of it might be too soon or you leave it too long and can't have something. I know it isn't necessarily going to mean a quick labour going in with a clear head but I do believe that if you go in not trusting yourself and your body and fighting against the process (not purposefully) that labour will be longer and harder. If you are busy being terrified then how can you get into "woo let's do this!" mode?��
AlaskaMom likes this.

March 24th, 2014, 04:58 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Unfortunately, I don't think it's too reliable to rely on your mother's experience. My mom had four kids, with relatively quick labors, and all were induced. She said she never had to push more than 20 minutes I think. I had DS at 38 weeks, but I was in labor for 17 hours, pushing for two and threw up constantly (mom never did). My mom and most of the women in my family also hemorrhaged pretty bad, but I didn't thank goodness.. I think the experience just varies woman to woman :/

March 24th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
LOL the thing about labor is that no matter what you do, what happened to your mother (or your best friend), or even what happened during your last birth - the whole event is pretty much unpredictable The only certainty is that the baby WILL come out one way or the other!!!
bella88 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search