Freaked out that I'm not eating right for baby

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Kellylovesricky
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 1 Post By peace.love.audrey
  • 1 Post By mommy2b43
  • 2 Post By girlsofsummer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2014, 09:02 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
I'm on an email listserv from my hospital system, and it says this:

"Fetal brain development increases in the last trimester. So make sure you’re eating at least 70–90 grams of protein to help that process along."

That is so much protein! I can't eat much! I don't like enough meats to eat that much! And now I'm freaked out b/c I have had serious aversions to fish this pregnancy, I'm not getting like, any DHA in my diet and haven't been taking any supplements.

I'm also not ravenously hungry lately so trying to get in all of this extra food and veggies is tough.

March 25th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Girl you'll be fine, baby will take what it needs! Not saying trying to eat more won't help, I just wouldn't stress too much hugs!
inyourhonor likes this.

March 25th, 2014, 09:31 AM
Super Mommy
I haven't been able to eat barely anything and protein is definately a no-go this pregnancy. I had the same issue with DD and really ate almost no protein all pregnancy. Shes top of her class and smart as a whip that kiddo. I'd check with your doctor just to be safe but try nt to worry too much about it. My doc put me on kinda like boost protein shakes this time and said I'd be good to go. They are sooooo much easier then trying to gag down a bunch of food that you dont want.

March 25th, 2014, 10:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
It will be fine girl don't stress You can also get quite a bit of protein from nuts, cheese, milk etc so don't worry if meat isn't your thing!

March 25th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been trying to eat that much since January and its so freaking hard. I had to do it as a preventative thing for hypertension. I have been eating SO SO many eggs that I am starting to really hate eggs.

March 25th, 2014, 10:32 AM
Veteran
I've had a tough time with protein too! I am sure everything will be fine with the baby
March 25th, 2014, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I think you'll be ok! I didn't eat that much protein with DD1...not to brag but our doc has told us she is the most advanced kid she has ever seen. Potty trained at 18 months, knew alphabet and numbers (1-10) by 22 months, spoke in full sentences by 22 months...that being said she is a DRAMA QUEEN and because she is advanced she already has the cognitive ability to try to manipulate us so it comes with a price. lol

March 25th, 2014, 11:48 AM
dindin's Avatar Veteran
I was unable to eat meat for a while. I did pasteurized egg whites in a shake. I would bled with frozen berries or fruit, greek yogurt and some xantham for thickening. It tasted like a treat. You will be fine regardless!

1/12 3/13
March 25th, 2014, 11:51 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried yogurt/smoothies etc. I just bought some organic yogurt smoothies from Costco and am eating a yogurt a day at least. It's not a ton of protein but it's another way to get it in- also lowfat milk- I have a glass of skim topped off with chocolate milk (because I'm not a fan of regular milk). I know I'm not getting anywhere near 70 grams and I eat as much as I can take (usually chicken or ground turkey at lunch and dinner). I wonder how much protein is in my nightly serving of chocolate chip cookie dough icecream?? ( it is the *only* thing that gets rid of my acid reflux- I've tried to cut it out but nope!!)
lovemylittlemiss likes this.
March 25th, 2014, 12:08 PM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
I drink the EAS low carb protein shakes as much as possible. Try them! I like the dark chocolate.
girlsofsummer likes this.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
March 25th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Since I'm on this gestational diabetes diet protien is one thing I'm sure I'm getting enough of lol!! I eat at least 90g protein a day since it helps break down carbs slower.

March 25th, 2014, 03:57 PM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just eat whatever... We do have a pretty healthy, organic, non gmo, diet. as much as possible... but lately i have been eating quite a bit of sugar... (peeps to be exact, and they have to be frozen...Yes I put peeps in the freezer before i eat them!!!) There are days I feel guilty about all the sugar, but baby wants it i swear!!

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
March 25th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Veteran
I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you want to try to get more protein you can find it in many whole foods and lots of common processed foods, too: veggies, dairy, nuts, seeds, grains. Do you have any experience with quinoa or chia seeds? I could give you a great chia pudding recipe that I love to eat for dessert.
March 25th, 2014, 04:08 PM
Just keep breathing.
Try not to stress. You've probably been getting more than you think. My RE told me early on to get enough protein, so I was monitoring really closely for several months. I found I was getting plenty without too much trying. Yogurt is good- a greek yogurt has 12-14 g of protein. A large egg has 6g. My whole wheat sandwich bread has 5g in a slice. (Gluten is a protein, after all). My morning decaf latte has 5g from the milk. And yes, ice cream has some too I don't usually eat this kind of thing, but I've been really enjoying CLIF builder bars. They each have 20g of protein, all natural ingredients, etc. They have a fair amount of sugar, but at least its "natural" lol.
March 25th, 2014, 05:00 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You know, there are some people who puke every single day of pregnancy and barely get anything down at all...and for the most part I think their babies do fine so I guess we're all doing okay as long as we're eating enough in general oh another thing I'm loving right now- cinnamon sugar almonds from target (archer farms brand or whatever). Mmmmmm...yes they have sugar (I am not good at eliminating it but at least they have lots of protein too and I threw up regular almonds early on so those are out as a food source for me lol
girlsofsummer likes this.
March 26th, 2014, 06:27 AM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
I'm having a smoothie as we speak with peanut butter, veggie-sourced protein powder and greek yogurt. I forgot about the protein powder I have! Thanks for the reassurance. There were so many things I said I would once I got pregnant -- like do yoga multiple times a week, eat all organically, eat no processed foods at all -- I didn't live up to that. But you're right, some women have it much worse!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search