hospital bag

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree10Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2014, 04:21 PM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
What's packed (or going to be packed in yours)?

Last time I didn't have one packed yet. I'm packing one tonight.

We went in the middle of the night and both our phones died. We weren't able to call/tell friends we were in labor and when he arrived until my mom came the next morning with her charger. So definitely packing an extra cell phone charger!

Silly, but no one told me you could change into your own clothes so I wore the hospital gown the first day- then my friend came back with comfy work-outish clothes that she had bought at the store for me. So. much. better.

Since I've never packed one, I'm wondering what else to pack!
anjewellove likes this.

March 30th, 2014, 05:35 PM
anjewellove's Avatar Super Mommy
I just modified my baby #2 hospital bag list this morning for baby #3. I'll copy and paste when im at my computer later tonight
BB2014 likes this.

March 30th, 2014, 05:49 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
I haven't packed mine yet and probably won't until I go into labor/my water breaks/whatever the last possible second is.
I will bring a coming home outfit (1 newborn, one 0-3), clothes for me, my laptop and charger, phone and charger, camera and charger. Hopefully I will also remember shampoo. Everything else the hospital will provide.
lovemylittlemiss and BB2014 like this.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
March 30th, 2014, 06:53 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here's what I pack:

For me:

Tank tops with shelf bra for easy nursing
A nursing bra (optional as I probably will just skip the bra)
Lounge and/or PJ pants
Bathrobe to throw over tank for visitors
Slippers
Underwear and socks
Coming home outfit: maternity pants and top
Toiletries: shampoo/conditioner/shaving supplies/toothbrush
Curling iron and hairbrush etc
Makeup bag
Heavy flow pads in case my bleeding slows and I don't feel like sitting around in the mesh underwear the hospital provides
Tucks pads and dermoplast (if my hospital didn't provide them- mine does)
Nursing pads
Camera with charger

For baby:

Swaddlers
Cute baby hats I've purchased
Onesies
Coming home outfit and first outfits (I don't like my babies in the things hospital provides)
A few diapers that are not pampers in case baby is allergic
My favorite brand of pacifiers (gumdrop)
Burp cloths
His glow seahorse

I feel like I'm forgetting things. Most of these are not things I need but things I like to have on hand because they make me comfortable. I am up and showered as soon as they'll take my IV out and out of the hospital gown (this often shocks or annoys the nurses but I don't care). I like to be comfy and I'm 45 minutes from home so there's no running back in case I randomly decide I want this or that!
anjewellove likes this.

Last edited by mommy2b43; March 30th, 2014 at 06:57 PM.
March 30th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
Here's what I pack:

For me:

Tank tops with shelf bra for easy nursing
A nursing bra (optional as I probably will just skip the bra)
Lounge and/or PJ pants
Bathrobe to throw over tank for visitors
Slippers
Underwear and socks
Coming home outfit: maternity pants and top
Toiletries: shampoo/conditioner/shaving supplies/toothbrush
Curling iron and hairbrush etc
Makeup bag
Heavy flow pads in case my bleeding slows and I don't feel like sitting around in the mesh underwear the hospital provides
Tucks pads and dermoplast (if my hospital didn't provide them- mine does)
Nursing pads
Camera with charger

For baby:

Swaddlers
Cute baby hats I've purchased
Onesies
Coming home outfit and first outfits (I don't like my babies in the things hospital provides)
A few diapers that are not pampers in case baby is allergic
My favorite brand of pacifiers (gumdrop)
Burp cloths
His glow seahorse

I feel like I'm forgetting things. Most of these are not things I need but things I like to have on hand because they make me comfortable. I am up and showered as soon as they'll take my IV out and out of the hospital gown (this often shocks or annoys the nurses but I don't care). I like to be comfy and I'm 45 minutes from home so there's no running back in case I randomly decide I want this or that!
Oh yep, I will need to bring a comb/brush and eyeliner. I am probably forgetting 1 or 2 other things... doubt I'll bother shaving while I'm there, but it depends on how long it will have been since I'm able to reach my legs!

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
March 30th, 2014, 10:20 PM
So tired. I'l post it tomorrow sorry

Ooops...forgot I posted this last night....I added my birthing bag list a couple posts down.

Last edited by anjewellove; March 31st, 2014 at 10:27 AM.
March 31st, 2014, 04:49 AM
StilettoGirlMama's Avatar Veteran
some ideas here!

my blog: whats in a bag.
March 31st, 2014, 05:21 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I has been 8 years since I've had a child in a hospital, I don't remember everything we brought for when I was in labor with him.

This is what I'm gathering this time;

Nursing tank tops
Pillow
PJ bottoms for me, over sized shirt
socks
Shampoo and conditioner
Nursing pads
Arnica (this is a must!)
Pads to be frozen
Phone + charger
Tablet + Charger
Camera with fully charged battery and SD card.
Boppy

For baby boy;

Car seat
Coming home outfit
One - 2 sleepers
Socks for feet and hands
A few NB diapers
Possibly pacifiers.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
March 31st, 2014, 06:43 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
Right now, I have the important papers and all the trial sized toiletries. That's it.

I need to put a couple pairs of comfy clothes, probably pj type stuff, in there. My big fluffy robe! Need to go buy a pack of underwear I won't miss if (and when) they get all messed up while I'm in the hospital. Uhm...a pillow or two. I found some socks that have grips on the bottom, but they're kind of pricey so I've been holding off on those. But I want at least one pair. Phone chargers are an automatic must. Might take the laptop.

And then stuff for bun...once we actually GET stuff, it'll just be: diapers, onesie, socks, blankets, carseat, mittens, and maybe a few diapers. The hospital provides pretty much everything but I'd like to have some of our stuff anyways.

I know there's a couple other things that I want, rather than need. But I'm still kind of waking up right now.
March 31st, 2014, 10:19 AM
Packing Birthing Bags

For In The Car
Towels (2) & Pillows

For Birthing Time
Hospital Gown (I make mine)
Socks (4)
Lip Balm
Breath Mints
Juice, Jello & Fruit
Snacks! (For DH)
Camera (+ extra battery & SD card)

Hospital Bag (For Both of Us)
Phone Chargers
Chonies
Flip Flops
Pajamas
Going-Home Outfit (Comfy...most likely the same outfit I wore home with #2)
Toiletries
* Toothbrush/Toothpaste
* Deodorant
* Brush/Hair Band
* Shampoo/Conditioner
* Body Wash
* Lotion
* Make-Up
2 Towels
Pillows
Bears/Raiders Blankets
Nursing Pads
Sanitary Pads
Bras
Lanisnoh

Baby Bag (For both genders)
Gdiapers & disposable refills (I don't use cloth until all the nasty meconium has gone)
Wipes
Going-Home Outfit (will likely have my sisters go get something cute after I deliver & know the gender)
Sleepers
Beanies
Socks
Mittens
Nail Clippers
Receiving Blankets (2-3)
Onesies (3-4)
Gift for DS's
Gift for Baby from DS's

Other Things
Cookies for the Nurses
Birthing Ball
Car Seat
Kellylovesricky and BB2014 like this.

March 31st, 2014, 10:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
I am up and showered as soon as they'll take my IV out and out of the hospital gown (this often shocks or annoys the nurses but I don't care).
I do the same thing! As soon as they put me into the post partum room, I'm up taking a shower. The nurses get mad at me too but it's oh so worth it! They get mad because we really are a fall/pass out risk after delivery. With all the blood loss & everything. And I do leave the bathroom door open just in case I need help....which happened last time. Right before I got out I got really dizzy and DH ran in and held me up while I finished getting the conditioner out of my hair!

oh and I didn't have an IV just a hep lock...I took that baby out ASAP. "oops it came out..." haha

March 31st, 2014, 10:56 AM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
PillowsPhone and charger
Camera and charger and memory card
Word search book and soduko book and a reading book
Clothes to go home in.
Nursing tank and comfy pants for my stay (I usually just wear the gown but I don't want to this time).
Socks.

Clothes for baby during stay.
Newborn cloth diapers. Flats boingos and covers in case the diapers I made are too big. Cloth wipes. Wet bag.
Going home outfit.
Prefolds for burp cloths.

Toiletries. Hair brush. Tooth brush and paste. Hair ties.

Scarlett Diane

March 31st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Veteran
When I did my hospital tour they told me to bring the following:
pillows for myself and DH- to be more comfortable
slippers
sweatpants, I'll also bring some workout sweat shorts
a nursing top- I don't have anything with easy access, so I'll probably bring some tees
1 onesie
a going home outfit for baby
snacks- they have a fridge full for patients and partners but recommend we bring some, too (I want to anyway since I have food sensitivities)
carseat
and birth certificate paperwork

I plan to pack a month early, and only what I won't need to use in the meantime. Everything else will be listed on a piece of paper on the fridge to pack when we need to go. It will be something to keep me occupied while I labor at home, or it will make it easy for hubby to pack if I can't do it.
I will also bring:
phones, camera, kindle, chargers and batteries
socks, undies, pads, i don't know if I should bring a nursing bra or just bring my sleep bras
toiletries- everything for showering and washing my face
brush and hair ties
We are debating bring music and movies to pass the time and keep me focused or distracted
Medications (I really hope I don't forget these!) I need to get a new dosage of thyroid pills, so I can start them right after labor, so I hope to get that filled before going into labor
essential oils and book about using them in labor (my doula is looking forward to learning how to work with them, so I'm super excited to be able to bring them)
I will bring a blanket for the baby and have a couple small towels and birth cloths in the car in case she needs help being stable in her carseat
She won't need much since the hospital provides for her while there, although I might bring a few extra onesies just in case, also will bring a couple bigger sized ones just in case she doesn't fit newborn size
The only other thing I can think of was suggested by my mom. We have some old puppy training pads. She said to put a couple in the car for me to sit on just in case my water breaks on the way to the hospital. Then it's at least kept off the fabric. One less thing to have to worry about.
anjewellove likes this.
March 31st, 2014, 01:31 PM
Super Mommy
I started mine on the weekend. I installed the carseat and base in the car. Our hospital provides almost nothing so we're packing it all! I also have no idea if it will be a c-section so Im going to assume at least a three day stay just in case. It might get a bit long.....lol

For my daughters hopital fun bag
-lots of craft stuff (paper, crayons, markers, stensils, coloring books, etc)
-some card games to play with us (go fish, uno, crazy 8's)
-earphones and my ipod loaded up with her songs!
-a set of spare clothes for her
-her bracelet weaver

Babys hospital bag
-newborn and size 1 diapers (DD never fit in newborn and the hospital didnt have size 1s so DH had to run out)
-BIG thing of wipes. With the nasty meconium poo we burned through those things like crazy. I packed lots this time.
-vaseline
-nipple shield/lanolin cream
-pacifiers just in case
-2 burp clothes
-1 little swaddle blanket
-3 undershirts
-5 sleepers
-going home outfit
cant think of anything else....probably missing stuff lolHavent packed mine yet! Its a goal for this week.

March 31st, 2014, 01:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Nothing packed yet. Probably won't pack until 37 weeks or later...I did, however, buy the toiletries today I wore the hospital gown for most of the first day too! Mostly because 1) I felt like **** and could hardly walk or stand well enough to dress myself (lost a lot of blood) and 2) I bled so much I didn't want to risk getting it on my clothes. I will have to see what this hospital recommends to bring since it's in a different state and might be different from the other one. Some hospitals don't provide diapers, clothes for the baby, breast pads or nipple cream for example, although last hospital provided all of these. I think if they provide clothes for the baby I'll bring clothes and swaddle blankets for her anyway just because I want it to feel as little like the hospital experience as possible. I'll also probably bring nb and 0-3 since I'm expecting her to be big! Not too worried about her not fitting into the dipes though because here they go up to 11lbs. I also want to bring a couple pacifiers for her. With DD I waited weeks before introducing a paci (was scared of nipple confusion) and by that time she wouldn't take one! I'm hoping that this one will because it would have come in handy so often with DD...going to start this one right off the bat in the hospital. Will also be bringing flip flops for the shower!! SO SO SO glad I had them last time! Usually in Germany you have to share a room/bathroom with someone else and showers like that skeeve me out!

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; March 31st, 2014 at 01:50 PM.
April 1st, 2014, 03:00 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
Thanks, everyone! This has helped me so much

April 1st, 2014, 07:57 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!! I forgot the most important item! DH was going over my list tonight and noticed I didn't have EAR PLUGS on it! I can't sleep without my ear plugs at home much less in a loud hospital!
girlsofsummer likes this.

April 7th, 2014, 07:23 PM
★★★★ Bumping for Nel ★★★★

April 7th, 2014, 08:11 PM
Veteran
Love this. Started my bag already, bought travel size toiletries for hubs and I, and have 2 comfy outfits packed, some undies in case I don't want the mesh kind, 2 nursing tanks(although the tops fit funny on me :/), a sports bra for the whirlpool tub, and pads. Still need a boppy pillow, nursing pads, nipple cream.For baby, 2 outfits, a cloth diaper for coming home, Vaseline, round makeup pads to protect the cloth diaper, 4 receiving blankets, car seat, natural baby wash for first bath.Our hospital pretty much provides everything we could possibly need but I like having some of our own stuff.
anjewellove likes this.
April 8th, 2014, 02:52 AM
Cheet_oh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've spaced the hospital bag. I really need to get with it. I haven't even set up the co sleeper or washed the baby clothes!

(Angela - 37) (Doug - 32)

(Steven - 20) (Sebastian - 18) (Mina - 13) (Ava - 4) (Aria - 1)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search