We are home! Plus some Killian photos :)

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By inyourhonor

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2014, 08:15 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I started this the other day but sitting up at the computer was getting to be too much, so, I'll try this again.

Killian is 6 days old today (officially 6 days at 830). We came home on Easter Sunday but it wasn't without putting our feet down. They wanted to keep him longer because of his eating, but we were doing very well on our own with his feeds, we came down to the special care nursery every 3 hours for his feeds and did them ourselves.

He went down there for the grunting because of a respiratory issue, which lead to him not having any interest in eating. So when he was taken to the SCN he was put on oxygen as well as an IV drip of sugar water. They also put him on antibiotics because I was supposed to have my GBS swab done the day they sent me to the hospital, so as a precautionary we both got antibiotics. He also got the antibiotics because of my water leaking and us not knowing how long.

He first came off his air flow, which was the biggest obstacle. Then slowly, as his feeds increased, his IV pump decreased. He was completely off by Saturday night. All he had left was his heplock for the rest of the antibiotics. I ended up not going for his 1130pm feed because I was very tired, but my husband Jason went and when he came back he woke me up to show me that his heplock was out. He was off of everything!

They told us that it would still be a few days before he could leave, only because of his eating. Being early, he knew what to do, but it took a little prodding to get him to do it. Well, being that we were the ones doing the feeds, we knew how to get him to start to eat and to stop playing around. The NP wasn't sure on releasing him, but thankfully the one nurse went to bat for us.

We knew we could do it. We agreed to get him into his ped on Monday, we would follow up with whatever we had to. If it was only the eating that was holding us up, we knew it was something we could do at home. I have been pumping what I can and he gets that, plus preemie formula. I was not getting enough for him to increase his feeds so we had to supplement and I have been okay with this. His circumstances changed how I felt and he gets mostly the preemie formula as well as adding in what I can pump. But having to know how much he gets during each feeding, nursing hasn't been ideal and being how things are going now, it's possible it won't work out at all. Which, while it sucks, I just want what is best for him and if this is how it has to be, then so be it.

We got to come home Sunday! He passed his car seat test, he took the last feed and ate 40mL, his goal was 39mL. They measured his bili levels. We got all his papers ready and we left at 330pm. Our boys are so in love with him. Bishop, our 3 year old calls him his baby. Asks where his baby, how his baby is doing. It's so adorable. The other two dote over him as well.

We are adjusting rather nicely. I'm so very thankful for our families and their help. With how sudden everything happened and how quickly they all stepped in to help with our other 3. Then helping while we are at home. I couldn't have asked for a better support system. Jason took the week off to be home with me. I'm not allowed to drive for 2 weeks, so I'm going to have to enlist the help of my mom and MIL next week in getting my oldest to and from school.

I was told that because of my first c-section, which was a bikini cut (on my uterus) and now Killian's c-section which was a classical cut on my uterus, I won't be able to have any other vaginal births. I'm glad I was able to experience the two that I did though. This was a hard one to accept. But, he's here and he's safe and healthy.

Now, here are some pictures I'm hoping by this weekend I can sit long enough to type up his birth story, but this is hurting me a lot now sitting at the desktop to write this. I'll be on my tablet if you see me around!

My husband getting to hold Killian for the first time

Me finally getting to see him

His coming home outfit, which floated on him.

My 8 year old, Gage, holding Killian for the first time.

My 5 year old, Dane, holding him for the first time. I had to help support his head.

Our 3 year old, Bishop, holding him for the first time. Or as he said, holding HIS baby Killian. Haha.

The photo I used to say, he's here

I would have been 37 weeks today, this is Killian this morning after eating. He'll officially be 6 days at 8:30pm. I never in a million years thought I'd have a baby before my due date, let alone 4 weeks before. But here he is and I am so in love with him.
Nel, ashleyjo, AlaskaMom and 5 others like this.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Last edited by inyourhonor; April 23rd, 2014 at 09:55 AM.
April 23rd, 2014, 08:29 AM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He's absolutely adorable!!!! Congrats!

[/url

April 23rd, 2014, 09:19 AM
*CAMM*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
what a cutie!! congrats!

April 23rd, 2014, 10:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
He is so cute!! I'm glad ya'll are home and doing well. All these pics of cute newborns are killing me though

April 23rd, 2014, 11:38 AM
jmills1129's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is precious, so happy you all are home!

9w4d, June, 16 2013
Missing My Angel baby
April 23rd, 2014, 12:50 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Awww hes sooo cute! congrats

April 23rd, 2014, 01:05 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
He is so dang adorable! (All of your kids are, and Bishop looks so thrilled with his baby!)

I'm glad Killian is doing well Good luck with the future feedings!

April 23rd, 2014, 02:29 PM
Just keep breathing.
He's so beautiful mama! His sweet face is bringing tears to my eyes Thank you for updating.
April 23rd, 2014, 03:14 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Congrats, glad you are all home!

April 23rd, 2014, 05:56 PM
Veteran
OMG! The pic with your 8-year-old is my favorite. I love how Killian is looking right up at him! Glad you were able to bring him home.
April 24th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Faith=2xBlessed's Avatar PrettyCrispy Scrunchy Mom
Congratulations so happy for you he's so cute!!!

Layla Marie & Savannah Rose born on December 19th 2013

April 24th, 2014, 09:06 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thank you everyone! I am so in love with him. This time last week I was getting settled into the hospital room and starting the long wait till we were taken back. He fits right in with us

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search