How's breastfeeding going??

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2014, 07:29 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
We are having the exact same issues. My poor lil guy is gasping to breath between gulps and then sucks in air. You can feel and hear the air going into him. I feel so bad. He then has a tummy ache for up to an hour after. Hiccups and spit up. He is so fussy even after its all over and doesnt always sleep soundly.
Yep that definitely sounds like things over here . I'm trying to get the oversupply under control but it's still going on. Had a couple of projectile pukes too since we've got home, poor little bugger. I try and burp him a few times during a feed and it helps a little sometimes. But it breaks my heart when he's trying to eat then pulls off and cries like I'm crushing his soul because he has a belly full of air. I would love for my boobs to actually go properly soft after a feed!

May 6th, 2014, 07:45 AM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Well crazy enough... after I posted originally, she actually latched on and fed twice yesterday without the shield!! Huge accomplishment. I'm really hoping to get my supply up so I can actually feed this girl. I just pumped and got half an ounce total. If she's used to 2-3 ozs from a bottle no wonder she is still hungry after the boob!
Nel, AlaskaMom and acmd03 like this.

May 6th, 2014, 07:55 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
Why do moms do this to each other??? I would never look at another mom who obviously loves her children and is doing the best she can to provide for them however she can and tell her she's not good enough! I had someone tell me I was being selfish and should just suck it up when I quit last time after fighting with a yeast infection that wouldn't go away for pretty much the entire 6 weeks that I breastfed. At that point I was already dealing with severe anxiety/ppd, my dd1 who had a utii, so needed to potty train in a hurry, and exclusively pumping. I remember sobbing because I was already so overwhelmed. My other favorite is people who say most women fail because they just don't try enough. Unless you've been in that situation I guess you can't judge. Even if you struggled and succeeded you don't know what the experience was like for someone else.
Because they feel the need to rip others apart to make themselves feel better. I have been told my IGT is an excuse. That I'm just lazy and don't want to do best for my baby. I shouldn't have to explain to them what is wrong with me, or that I spend hours crying over it. That my husband had to sit there comforting me because I was so angry with my body for failing my children, that it couldn't do what it was created to do. They just see what they want to see. They don't care that they're making my own insecurities worse, because hey, they say what they want, usually behind a computer screen and move on with their life. I know I shouldn't take it to heart, but when you're already down on something like that and someone does even more damage, it hurts.

I had to prepare myself for an outcome like my 3rd son. But I wasn't expecting to not get to nurse at all. I did everything I could last time to boost my supply, nothing helped. Not me anyways. They shouldn't judge, but it's sad when mothers are each others enemies. We should be each others shoulders of support, sadly, it isn't like that.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Last edited by inyourhonor; May 6th, 2014 at 07:59 AM.
May 6th, 2014, 08:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
Because they feel the need to rip others apart to make themselves feel better. I have been told my IGT is an excuse. That I'm just lazy and don't want to do best for my baby. I shouldn't have to explain to them what is wrong with me, or that I spend hours crying over it.
You poor thing I seriously want to slap someone for you. If people can't be supportive they should just keep their mouths shut. I've had friends spin into serious PPD because of pressure from themselves and others about b/f and it infuriates me. Hugs all around girls!

May 6th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
Struggling a bit. I've had an oversupply from the start which sounds like a good thing but it's been pretty suck. I've had mastitis and finished one lot of antibiotics for it once already and not even a fortnight postpartum. Boobs are nearly constantly engorged and letdown is really forceful. Poor little James chokes and coughs on it and gets lots of gas because of it. He spits up and throws up a bit too. Been nursing from one breast per feed since a few days in but hasn't done much so might have to stretch it out longer to a couple of feeds to one breast. I dunno. I just feel horrible that it's choking him and making him cry and restless when he sleeps.

I had this same issue with DD. I had an absolutely ridiculous amount of milk and when let down hit it would gush. I easily could have fed triplets I think lol. We bought a nipple shield after a lot of crying and struggling (actually for latch reasons). It also fixed the crazy let down issue. We used it until she was a bit bigger and could handle the milk gush. I also found that (again when she was a couple weeks old and not so impatient) if she latched on then I took her off when milk started going and held a nursing pad to my boob for a minute it helped her to catch her breath and my boob slowed down a bit. So the shield was just temporary and it made life 1000 times easier. If it makes you feel any better, once everything settled down a bit I started to LOVE breastfeeding! It turned into our best bonding moments and I was so sad when she weaned at 13 months.....

May 6th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
OMG our feeding at 9pm last night was a nightmare. Nothing could get him to stop screaming. It was torture. I pumped and bottle fed for two feedings in the middle of the night and then early morning. The difference was night and day. He still spit up but he went right back to sleep after 10-15mins instead of 2 hours. I just breast fed again and we will see how this goes. So far he is still passed out but .....

May 7th, 2014, 04:28 PM
Faith=2xBlessed's Avatar PrettyCrispy Scrunchy Mom
Lurking .. I just had to post I'm so sorry you ladies are having such a hard time I know exactly how that goes and I feel bad for you all I wish I could make it easier but I do want to say just hang in there it's so so hard in the beginning I stopped at 6 weeks Bc I had to pump and didn't have the time with twins it was hard I stopped bfing for 5 weeks and was devastated the whole time so now I've been relactating for two months and even tho I only get 6 oz a day I feel so much better and I'm able to nurse my one twin it feels amazing.. I know it's hard just hang in there ladies you will get through and DO NOT let anyone tell you your a bad mom your all amazing enjoy those babies

Layla Marie & Savannah Rose born on December 19th 2013
* After heartbreak and tears, and many fears my two blessings are here*

Relactating mama since march 13th 2014..don't ever stop something you
May 9th, 2014, 05:22 PM
Super Mommy
So glad this post exists to make me feel better. From the breast feeding class we went to in February, they make it sound like breastfeeding is natural and easy. Put the baby to the breast and they know what to do.

NOT! With the c-section, I started off in a bad place. Add to that the hospital has only one lactation consultant and she didn't bother showing up until day 3, so I had no guidance on what to do. We just tried to get Lucas to latch (5 minutes at best) and then give him formula. My supply came in on day 5, 1 day after we got out of the hospital. So did mastitis in my left breast with a golf size lump near my armpit.

And soon after we got home, Lucas was no longer tolerating the nipple shield or my nipple at all, which completely broke my heart and made me feel like a horrible mother. After a few more days of failure, I called a different hospital's lactation consultant. "Oh, your son is 8 days old? Well, we may almost be out of time to get this right." She made me feel HORRIBLE, but I still went to the appt they gave me when Lucas was 11 days old.

Well, the lactation consultant we met with was not the one I talked to and she was AWESOME. With all the baby blues/PPD issues I've had, she completely encouraged and supported that I go to just pumping for a while. But she wants me pumping 10 times per day. Lucas doesn't even eat that many times. It's such a hard schedule to keep. I'm averaging 7 pumps per day and I am seeing an increase in supply. The lactation consultant also said "the baby isn't dumb. Does he want instant flow from a bottle or drips from the breast? He knows what to choose." I've yet to get a let down. My breasts are still drippers, but I can produce almost 14 ounces per day now. Lucas is now eating 14-21 ounces (growth spurt just hit yesterday and he is getting ravenous on just 2 ounces per feeding).

I'm sorry you ladies are having troubles, but I am so glad I am not alone. I didn't realize the emotions I would have towards breastfeeding or the complete feeling of failure when Lucas doesn't latch.

Lucas Xavier is here! Born 4/24/2014 at 10:47pm
7 pounds 6 ounces
20.5 inches long

May 9th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav View Post
So glad this post exists to make me feel better. From the breast feeding class we went to in February, they make it sound like breastfeeding is natural and easy. Put the baby to the breast and they know what to do.

NOT! With the c-section, I started off in a bad place. Add to that the hospital has only one lactation consultant and she didn't bother showing up until day 3, so I had no guidance on what to do. We just tried to get Lucas to latch (5 minutes at best) and then give him formula. My supply came in on day 5, 1 day after we got out of the hospital. So did mastitis in my left breast with a golf size lump near my armpit.

And soon after we got home, Lucas was no longer tolerating the nipple shield or my nipple at all, which completely broke my heart and made me feel like a horrible mother. After a few more days of failure, I called a different hospital's lactation consultant. "Oh, your son is 8 days old? Well, we may almost be out of time to get this right." She made me feel HORRIBLE, but I still went to the appt they gave me when Lucas was 11 days old.

Well, the lactation consultant we met with was not the one I talked to and she was AWESOME. With all the baby blues/PPD issues I've had, she completely encouraged and supported that I go to just pumping for a while. But she wants me pumping 10 times per day. Lucas doesn't even eat that many times. It's such a hard schedule to keep. I'm averaging 7 pumps per day and I am seeing an increase in supply. The lactation consultant also said "the baby isn't dumb. Does he want instant flow from a bottle or drips from the breast? He knows what to choose." I've yet to get a let down. My breasts are still drippers, but I can produce almost 14 ounces per day now. Lucas is now eating 14-21 ounces (growth spurt just hit yesterday and he is getting ravenous on just 2 ounces per feeding).

I'm sorry you ladies are having troubles, but I am so glad I am not alone. I didn't realize the emotions I would have towards breastfeeding or the complete feeling of failure when Lucas doesn't latch.

Same sort of thing happened with me with my first. I had to ask the nurses if I should feed the baby and he was hours old at that point... I had no clue. He couldnt latch well and they gave him a bottle... again I didnt realize what that would mean in the long run. I didnt get help till day 3 when a nurse did a home visit. She had good intentions but it didnt help. I remember sitting in bed trying to get him to latch crying ...bawling because it hurt and it wasnt working for either of us. It was seriously the worst part of the entire new baby experience. I pumped exclusively since we got home from the hospital. At least he still got milk.

I think the worst part for me was also people telling me how great breastfeeding was. Because of that I never thought to look into how to do it.. or what to do when things go wrong or even who to contact.

May 10th, 2014, 06:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been fortunate as breastfeeding has come naturally each time. The only complaint is that it hurts when they latch on for the first couple weeks or so, despite a good latch but the midwife said that's normal. That pain has pretty much subsided now though. I also had an oversupply for a few days and my let down is pretty forceful (she also gasps at times). I found that pumping a little before feeding her seemed to help but now that the oversupply has settled down a little I don't do that anymore.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; May 10th, 2014 at 06:07 AM.
May 10th, 2014, 11:52 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarav View Post

:-( Oh this just breaks my heart for you! I wish every new mother got good, immediate attention from a lactation consultant. It is so necessary! I also thought it was toing to be easy but IT WAS NOT. My kid simply would not latch the first day and without the fantastic lactation consultant working intensely with us on days 1-3 I don't even know what I would have done.

All I can say is now that you have found somebody good, stick to her like glue and get all the help you can! Wishing you the best.
May 12th, 2014, 11:47 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I've been having an AWFUL time too. It really threw me by surprise because I was one of those that had an amazing experience with my first child with no bumps or anything. It was just bliss. I never imagined it to be this terrible.
I have ups and downs. Yesterday I was bawling my eyes out ready to quit. I gave her to my husband and had to leave the room for a minute to give myself a break.

She is latching wrong, it's like she's chomping right down on my nipple with teeth!! I have cracks and the one nipple is bleeding. One decent breastfeeding website suggested mothers try pumping to let cracks heal so I tried that and I had what looked like strawberry milk from the blood mixing with the milk. I was mortified because it was even worse to see the end result of the cracks and pain!

I really don't want to give up because I know how great it can be but this is so so so hard. I can't imagine doing this for another 11 months. I really hope it works out.

May 12th, 2014, 12:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had my first breakdown last night. I think Marek was really gassy and he wouldnt stay latched on. He kept biting down on me and grunting then pulling away with my nipple clamped in his mouth. Then he was screaming and crying cause he wanted more milk... It was intense. I ended up bawling.

Today has been sucky. He wants to eat every hour and my nipple on that same side is now messed up again. It hurts so bad.... OMG we were doing so well this is such a set back :*(

May 12th, 2014, 01:38 PM
I'm so sorry Nel

Well, pumping has ended. I get mere drops. I feel so stupid crying over this, but I have

Killian's Birth Story
May 12th, 2014, 06:53 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
My nipples are on fire, but I think my supply is coming in at least. Milked through my shirt today.

May 14th, 2014, 04:27 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Everyone with sore bleeding nipples- coconut oil. I replaced my lanolin and it made an immediate difference. He liked the taste better so he latches better and the coconut oil is antibacterial so it helps heal cuts etc anyway.

I'm at almost 6'weeks and I'm still sore most of the time. His latch seems to be improving but this is my easy baby and it's still not easy!! I'm determined not to pay for formula though or I might have been very tempted to give up quite a few times!!
May 14th, 2014, 06:58 AM
Coconut oil is such a wonderful thing. We use it for many uses in our house!

Well, my pumping has officially ended. I guess getting about 3 weeks total is better than nothing, right? I feel like I failed again though :/

Killian's Birth Story
May 14th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post

Well, my pumping has officially ended. I guess getting about 3 weeks total is better than nothing, right? I feel like I failed again though :/
I feel like I'm on this path as well. Bella will latch, but even after a half hour or nursing she ends up screaming and eating her hands like a maniac! I am pumping and pumping and I can barely get an ounce by the end of the day. I was on the couch last night pumping and crying because I just don't produce anything at all it seems. I've gone through an entire bottle of fenugreek and two boxes of mothers milk tea.. and its done nothing!

May 16th, 2014, 05:21 PM
ToMuchElmo's Avatar Veteran
Pretty sure Charlotte has a lip tie. The pediatrician said probably not, but my friend a dentist said it looked like it. Her top lip doesn't come out and it's really painful to nurse. I also have to constantly nurse her to get enough into her.
May 16th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Londons Butterfly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Londons Butterfly Send a message via Yahoo to Londons Butterfly
4 days and my nipples hurt like hell. Scabbed from initial latch issues. But she's doing great. She gets milk mustaches around her whole mouth it's super cute. I am feeding her every 2 hours because of jaundice. It's hard because she doesn't want to eat that often sometimes. My milk came in two days after she was born, so far no engourgement issues.

I don't care how you feed your baby. No one should judge anyone else's decisions like that.

Scarlett Diane

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search