Log In Sign Up

How's breastfeeding going??


Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 5th, 2014, 09:53 AM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,314
I had such horrific experiences with my first two that I really didn't expect to succeed (or really want to bother) this time. But, her I am at one month with only minor glitches here and there that are getting better every day (mainly latch related). How's everyone else doing? Anyone who's struggling or has already moved to formula- I've been there- it's hard!
AlaskaMom likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 5th, 2014, 09:58 AM
Kellylovesricky's Avatar & Mikey & Isabella
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 764
She still hates me. I actually showed Ricky the disgusted look she gets on her face every time I try to get her to nurse. Its so cute... but totally hurts my feelings. I finally got my pump in style and I'm really trying to get my supply up, it seems almost impossible! I sometimes can pump an ounce total from both sides and sometimes is not even a half an ounce. I'm taking a ton of fenugreek, and I bought some mothers milk tea yesterday. I'm hoping that will help! Frustrating to see her going through can after can of formula.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 5th, 2014, 11:05 AM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 476
I had good luck with mother's milk tea when my supply dropped with my first, I hope it works for you!

We just got through the initial pain of those first few days, so I'm feeling pretty good about nursing. I do have way too much milk at the moment, which is very painful when she sleeps extra long, but I'm trying to make time to pump then and freeze it. I'm looking forward to having a little stored to pull out when we start leaving her with my parents every now and then. Yay date nights She's really a great nurser, though, so that's helping things go smoothly.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 5th, 2014, 11:48 AM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 17,592
I have IGT, which makes breastfeeding so much more difficult than what it should be in the beginning. Unfortunately, with him being early and the eating issues he faced in the beginning, I haven't been able to nurse at all then on top of it, pumping isn't going great.

So, I'm failing again and I'm having a very hard time. I'm so glad you're having a much better experience! It makes me happy to see people succeed even a bit jealous, but happier than jealous, haha.
__________________


Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks



Killian's Birth Story
Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 5th, 2014, 01:08 PM
Nel's Avatar
Nel Nel is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,014
We have been able to stop pumping completely now. Its been 4 days or so of only breast feeding. I am pretty happy with that. Its the longest Ive gone with either baby with out pumping. He is nursing pretty well and I've found if I sit up and have him sit up in my lap to latch (not laying down on the nursing pillow) he doesnt choke as much. My milk comes out crazy crazy fast but this seems to help. My nipples still hurt to touch my clothes but the initial latch only hurts a few seconds now thankfully.
__________________









Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 5th, 2014, 01:31 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,314
For those with nipple pain- I switched from lanolin to coconut oil and it has made a huge difference.

I'm sorry for those of you who are struggling. I actually have said it before and I'll say it again. I don't like breastfeeding!!! Shocking I know but I just don't lol. Oh well I do it anyway! I like that it's helped my ppd this time and that we don't have to pay $$$$$$ for formula (been there done that twice!!).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 5th, 2014, 01:33 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Posts: 3,584
It could be better! I need to get a pump to see where my milk is, in hopes to stop supplementing soon. Owen is not gaing weight, actually lost weight over the weekend. He doesn't have the best latch but I think it's due to the SNS feedings we have to do. It's hard enough to get his tiny self latched let alone add in a floppy tube. We have a weight check Wednesday and I hope the scale moves up so we can cut these feeds to just breast(and no tube).. And my nipples hurt pretty bad at first latch, like needles. I have never really breasted before(attempted with only my last,) so im still learning. I don't enjoy it at all either, but I put in this much effort I don't want to stop just yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
For those with nipple pain- I switched from lanolin to coconut oil and it has made a huge difference.

I'm sorry for those of you who are struggling. I actually have said it before and I'll say it again. I don't like breastfeeding!!! Shocking I know but I just don't lol. Oh well I do it anyway! I like that it's helped my ppd this time and that we don't have to pay $$$$$$ for formula (been there done that twice!!).
I don't like it either.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 5th, 2014, 01:36 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post

So, I'm failing again and I'm having a very hard time. I'm so glad you're having a much better experience! It makes me happy to see people succeed even a bit jealous, but happier than jealous, haha.
I know exactly how you feel. I was a crying emotional disaster with my first two when I gave up. It still makes me cringe a little having to explain that my first two were formula fed. Not because I think formula is awful but because it reminds me of how spectacularly I failed at breastfeeding. If only I knew then what I do now. I think the probiotic use during pregnancy and not getting any sort of catheter helped a lot- no uti for me so far...

(Oh the reason I failed bf both times had to do with horrid yeast infections which I believe were caused by antibiotic use because of utis).
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 5th, 2014, 01:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,605
Breastfeeding is going great! Ethan is a champ he hasn't had a bottle since he left the nicu and at his weight checks exactly one week apart he was 4.14 the day after leaving the nicu and 5.10 at his weight check a week later so almost a lb in a week!! My oversupply is under control now and my toddler is getting over the luster of having milk again since I dried up during my pregnancy and is only nursing 2-3 times a day again instead of the 5-6 he was when baby first came home lol!! For all those having trouble I'll say it gets better and more enjoyable after the first weeks I think with my toddler it took till six weeks or so before I felt like we hit our groove and here we are! Nursed through pregnancy and still going at 20 months
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 5th, 2014, 03:35 PM
Nel's Avatar
Nel Nel is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Ladies I am hating this breastfeeding thing too. I had a serious mental break down trying to breastfeed my first. I think with this one, now that we are doing better than I did with the 1st, if i stop now ill never forgive my self for stopping. I have my moments when I would love just to make him a bottle and go back to bed I dont understand why something that should be natural sucks so bad. Could you imagine how many mother animals would abandon their babies if it was this difficult and painful?! I dont get it.

I cant do anything while feeding... i have to watch him eat or the pain is worse. If I try to watch tv or have a conversation it seems to hurt more. I have to stay focused on whats going on.
__________________









Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 5th, 2014, 03:42 PM
Andrea1122's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: California, Thank you military for sending us back home
Posts: 3,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nel View Post
Ladies I am hating this breastfeeding thing too. I had a serious mental break down trying to breastfeed my first. I think with this one, now that we are doing better than I did with the 1st, if i stop now ill never forgive my self for stopping. I have my moments when I would love just to make him a bottle and go back to bed I dont understand why something that should be natural sucks so bad. Could you imagine how many mother animals would abandon their babies if it was this difficult and painful?! I dont get it.

I cant do anything while feeding... i have to watch him eat or the pain is worse. If I try to watch tv or have a conversation it seems to hurt more. I have to stay focused on whats going on.
I can't do anything but hold his head and my breast, it sucks!! I totally feel ya, hope we both can hang in there and it gets easier for us!!! Hugs momma!!
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 5th, 2014, 04:19 PM
acmd03's Avatar Lincoln's Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 476
If it's any encouragement, the need to focus got better for me with my first when he could hold his head up on his own. After that, I could do something else while nursing.

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hates nursing but does it anyway! My mom always talks about how much she loved it and it took me a long time with my first to get over feeling guilty that I hated every single time he latched on.
__________________





Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 5th, 2014, 04:35 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 17,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
I know exactly how you feel. I was a crying emotional disaster with my first two when I gave up. It still makes me cringe a little having to explain that my first two were formula fed. Not because I think formula is awful but because it reminds me of how spectacularly I failed at breastfeeding. If only I knew then what I do now. I think the probiotic use during pregnancy and not getting any sort of catheter helped a lot- no uti for me so far...

(Oh the reason I failed bf both times had to do with horrid yeast infections which I believe were caused by antibiotic use because of utis).
My guilt comes from others negativity. Making me feel like a bad mom over something I clearly cannot control. I make my husband buy the formula. I have such mixed feelings. I struggle with myself feeling like a failure, that my body can't do what it is supposed to do and I'm tryin to be thankful there are other options or else my kids would starve.
sarav likes this.
__________________


Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks



Killian's Birth Story
Reply With Quote
  #14  
May 5th, 2014, 05:17 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,058
Struggling a bit. I've had an oversupply from the start which sounds like a good thing but it's been pretty suck. I've had mastitis and finished one lot of antibiotics for it once already and not even a fortnight postpartum. Boobs are nearly constantly engorged and letdown is really forceful. Poor little James chokes and coughs on it and gets lots of gas because of it. He spits up and throws up a bit too. Been nursing from one breast per feed since a few days in but hasn't done much so might have to stretch it out longer to a couple of feeds to one breast. I dunno. I just feel horrible that it's choking him and making him cry and restless when he sleeps.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #15  
May 5th, 2014, 05:40 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by inyourhonor View Post
My guilt comes from others negativity. Making me feel like a bad mom over something I clearly cannot control. I make my husband buy the formula. I have such mixed feelings. I struggle with myself feeling like a failure, that my body can't do what it is supposed to do and I'm tryin to be thankful there are other options or else my kids would starve.
Why do moms do this to each other??? I would never look at another mom who obviously loves her children and is doing the best she can to provide for them however she can and tell her she's not good enough! I had someone tell me I was being selfish and should just suck it up when I quit last time after fighting with a yeast infection that wouldn't go away for pretty much the entire 6 weeks that I breastfed. At that point I was already dealing with severe anxiety/ppd, my dd1 who had a utii, so needed to potty train in a hurry, and exclusively pumping. I remember sobbing because I was already so overwhelmed. My other favorite is people who say most women fail because they just don't try enough. Unless you've been in that situation I guess you can't judge. Even if you struggled and succeeded you don't know what the experience was like for someone else.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #16  
May 5th, 2014, 05:42 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,058
The not forgiving yourself if you stop: I am really feeling this too. I am hating breastfeeding so far and feel like I can't feed him properly so he's happy. Just choke him, hurt his tummy and make him sad. Heck, just writing that makes me teary and upset.
sarav likes this.
__________________






Reply With Quote
  #17  
May 5th, 2014, 05:44 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh (Go Steelers!)
Posts: 2,366
I am so glad that you started this thread. I started pumping the day Miri came home b/c she wasnt latching and was dehydrated. She is still having issues, and pumping is becoming so tiring. I had an emotional cry to my mom yesterday b/c I'm worried that she just wont ever get it. She'll latch for maybe 5 minutes tops per breast, but it's a hard fought battle.

My supply is good so I'm hopeful we'll get there, but yeah, I feel you ladies


I
sarav likes this.
__________________
Mirielle Margaret born 4/24
Reply With Quote
  #18  
May 5th, 2014, 05:48 PM
mommy2b43's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 2,314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
The not forgiving yourself if you stop: I am really feeling this too. I am hating breastfeeding so far and feel like I can't feed him properly so he's happy. Just choke him, hurt his tummy and make him sad. Heck, just writing that makes me teary and upset.
I have a friend with oversupply issues and she exclusively pumps. It's doable but not fun. I don't know how she did it w her second- it's so time consuming!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #19  
May 5th, 2014, 06:53 PM
Nel's Avatar
Nel Nel is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
Struggling a bit. I've had an oversupply from the start which sounds like a good thing but it's been pretty suck. I've had mastitis and finished one lot of antibiotics for it once already and not even a fortnight postpartum. Boobs are nearly constantly engorged and letdown is really forceful. Poor little James chokes and coughs on it and gets lots of gas because of it. He spits up and throws up a bit too. Been nursing from one breast per feed since a few days in but hasn't done much so might have to stretch it out longer to a couple of feeds to one breast. I dunno. I just feel horrible that it's choking him and making him cry and restless when he sleeps.

We are having the exact same issues. My poor lil guy is gasping to breath between gulps and then sucks in air. You can feel and hear the air going into him. I feel so bad. He then has a tummy ache for up to an hour after. Hiccups and spit up. He is so fussy even after its all over and doesnt always sleep soundly.
__________________









Reply With Quote
  #20  
May 5th, 2014, 06:58 PM
Nel's Avatar
Nel Nel is offline
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 3,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy2b43 View Post
I have a friend with oversupply issues and she exclusively pumps. It's doable but not fun. I don't know how she did it w her second- it's so time consuming!

I had to pump with my first and did it for 5 months. It was really really tiring. Im fighting really hard this time to not have to pump this time.
__________________









Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:24 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0