Grunting and fussing at night?

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Ellies_mom
  • 1 Post By bella88
  • 2 Post By girlsofsummer

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2014, 12:00 PM
girlsofsummer's Avatar Us two became we three <3
Miri is 3 weeks old tomorrow. Now she fusses at night, not full blown crying, but makes noises and puts herself back to sleep. But there are times where she is doing it frequently - like within 1.5 hours of being put down from the last feeding, she's up fussing every 15 minutes. She wakes both of us up, and I end up getting up with her more often than not because I think she's hungry.

Probably 50% of the nighttime awakenings, I don't think she is --- the wake intervals are too close together, she doesn't eat her normal amount and is super sleepy during/after feeding. What would you suggest I do to help her sleep more soundly? I'm wondering if part of is it that it's been too hot to swaddle her. Or she's just growing and changing her pattern.

FWIW she does it whether she sleeps in the co-sleeper (flat) or swing (a small incline). She isn't spitting up. She grunts and fusses during the day, too, but it seems to amp up a bit at night.
May 14th, 2014, 12:09 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Could she be gassy, fusses and then manages to get it out?

Killian is a grunter when he poops and has to pass gas. He's done this throughout the night at times also, but it was lead to those two things.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
May 14th, 2014, 01:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
so far for us grunting means farts, burps or poop. I have started to give him Ovol and it seems to be helping.

May 14th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Super Mommy
I always swaddled DD with her knees up a bit. Grunting was replaced by farting all night long lol.
Kellylovesricky likes this.

May 14th, 2014, 03:14 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a fussy grunting baby that likes to carry on all night long. Sleeps beautifully in the day but up most of the night.

May 14th, 2014, 03:58 PM
MommaBean18's Avatar Gabe & Mason's Mommy
Mason sleeps wonderfully as long as he is in bed with us lol. He's fine being set down during the day, but just wants to snuggle at night. He's a grunter also, but sooner or later it turns to poo.

May 15th, 2014, 09:20 AM
I think it's gas for sure. I bought Little Remedies gripe water and tried it in two feedings last night, and it seemed to help!

I'll try the knees-up swaddle though -- it's been sooo unseasonably hot here, though. Like 85 and humid.
May 15th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBean18 View Post
Mason sleeps wonderfully as long as he is in bed with us lol. He's fine being set down during the day, but just wants to snuggle at night. He's a grunter also, but sooner or later it turns to poo.
This is exactly how little A is...she sleeps fine during the day but at night it's the same fussing. She'll be asleep, we put her down and within 5-10mins she's up and fussing again. Last night DH spent 3 hours trying to get her to sleep in her crib and we finally just put her in the bed where she slept peacefully. It's pretty frustrating as I didn't really want to co sleep this time and had high hopes that she would sleep in her crib as she will take naps in it during the day (DD1 never would).

May 15th, 2014, 11:54 AM
James is like that too. Sleeps fine in the bassinet, pram, car seat, cot... as long as it's day. Wants in our bed at night though. Can usually get a couple of bassinet sleeps in at the start of the night but it's big bed with me all the way as far as he's concerned before long. Has nice long sleeps in the day too and shorter at night .

May 15th, 2014, 12:45 PM
208mama's Avatar Veteran
What are we going to do about these babies???! We are in the same boat. She doesn't really gas-grunt, more like little mouse squeaks and whimpers. We co-sleep and I feel like it's because she wants to pacify on the breast all night long, and the second she realizes she's not, she starts stirring….

She is usually up from a nap from 9pm - 11pm, so this evening I think I am going to try and get her up earlier, around 7-8ish….

Tyler Jean:9 Jamisen Ryan: 6 Jaxyn Lily: 7

Isla Elizabeth - 4/28/14
May 16th, 2014, 04:39 PM
May I ask how you guys sleep with baby in bed? Are you doing it the "right and safe way" with a little co-sleeper thing, are you holding baby, or something else?

I say the above in quotes because even though I'm sure we're all careful, there are times where you just do whatever you have to to get baby asleep -- I slept with Miri on my chest for a few hours the other night :/
May 16th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Super Mommy
If its hot where you are trying just swaddling the lower half of your LO's body. With their little legs squished up a bit it just pushes the excess gas out. I hope something works for you! A fussy night time baby is no fun.

May 17th, 2014, 12:45 AM
When James is in our bed I just make sure not to swaddle him (pretty sure he hates it anyway, he fights to escape), keep pillows away and don't have blankets too high up. I do put the sheet over his legs though most of the time and more often than not he's asleep in thd crook of my arm. Have the heater on at night so we don't have to use a lot of blankets because it's getting pretty darn cold here at night time.

May 17th, 2014, 04:12 AM
Mega Super Mommy
The goal is always that she sleeps the first part of the night in her crib...sometimes this works out and other times she will start fussing a few minutes after we put her down, we pick her up, she falls asleep, put put her back down, she wakes etc. After doing that dance a few times we just put her in bed with us. Move the pillows as far out as we can, keep the blankets down and have her really far up on the bed...that way if I do somehow bring the blankets up to my shoulders or something she won't be covered. That being said, often times after I feed her I don't move her back up to that position and she ends up nestled right next to me...she seems to gravitate towards me anyway. I don't necessarily like that but at the same time I looked into co sleeping a lot when we started it with DD1 and found some pretty convincing arguments for it. It is documented that SIDS is reduced if babies are in the same room so this practice is encouraged by the AAP. Surely our ancestors didn't keep their babies in a caged box but rather slept with them. I'm sure this protective element of sleeping close to the baby arose from co sleeping, not from sleeping in the same room with the kid tucked away in their own bed. I think co sleeping is just as safe, the reason (imo) why the AAP doesn't recommend it is because there is a safe way to do it and it *can* be dangerous if the parents smoke, drink, use drugs etc or don't take the basic safety precautions. It's easier to just be against co sleeping period than to say it's ok and trust that people will do it correctly. Much easier to suggest babies sleep in cribs in the parents' rooms.

May 17th, 2014, 04:36 AM
As far as I can see, the countries that cosleep and bed share the most have the lower incidences of SIDS, like Japan. It's supposed to help the baby remember to breathe by being near mum breathing and the regular waking up for boobies helps prevent it too. Also with bub right there you're prob more likely to be more in tune with what's going on with bub right there and would wake up if things start going dicey for the baby .It's scary though because SIDS seems to just randomly happen sometimes without much rhyme or reason. I do like to start with putting James down in his bassinet for as much of the night as I can. I sleep better with him out there because he always wants to be right up against me and between him and DH there's not much room for me in the bed. Plus James loves to kick lol. Kicked a chunk of glue loose on my c section site at some ungodly hour this morning while I was feeding him during his witching hour. Stung like a *****!
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

May 17th, 2014, 07:48 PM
This all makes me feel a lot better. Miri also sometimes sleeps in the crook of my arm, swaddled up but not near anything else. And we both sleep better.

I totally agree, Hillary -- generations have slept with babies. And some keep babies in cribs, in totally by-the-book safe conditions, and SIDS still happens. It's unfortunate, but sometimes you cant' explain it away.
May 19th, 2014, 02:53 PM
RedSoxFan84's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlsofsummer View Post
This all makes me feel a lot better. Miri also sometimes sleeps in the crook of my arm, swaddled up but not near anything else. And we both sleep better. I totally agree, Hillary -- generations have slept with babies. And some keep babies in cribs, in totally by-the-book safe conditions, and SIDS still happens. It's unfortunate, but sometimes you cant' explain it away.
So I read this thread before having Brianna and told myself I will never cosleep. Well, guess what happened? Lol. Like clockwork she screams at night when we put her in her bassinet and everyone tells me to let her cry it out. I wait it out for 20 minutes and then can't take it anymore, lol. The other problem is that I still find it painful to get up out of bed (I had a c-section) everytime I feed her. It's so much easier to keep her with me and pop her on the boob whenever she starts fussing. I hope to break this habit soon, but I don't really see that happening any time soon, lol.

Thanks Vicki... for my beautiful siggy!
May 20th, 2014, 02:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSoxFan84 View Post
So I read this thread before having Brianna and told myself I will never cosleep. Well, guess what happened? Lol. Like clockwork she screams at night when we put her in her bassinet and everyone tells me to let her cry it out. I wait it out for 20 minutes and then can't take it anymore, lol. The other problem is that I still find it painful to get up out of bed (I had a c-section) everytime I feed her. It's so much easier to keep her with me and pop her on the boob whenever she starts fussing. I hope to break this habit soon, but I don't really see that happening any time soon, lol.

I had the same issue after my section! I would actually wake my husband up and make him go get the baby because it was hard for me to get up! LOL! Don't be hard on yourself...you gotta do what you gotta do in these early days to get by. I never thought I would co sleep either and here I am. haha

May 20th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Super Mommy
Baby sleeps pretty much in my armpit and we both sleep great that way. If it's working for you and you're following the safety recommendations, stop feeling bad and go with it for now! New babies just want to be close to their mamas, and mama needs to SLEEP.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search