low hemoglobin

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Ellies_mom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 17th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Veteran
So I have low hemoglobin and it sucks! I get tinged thru out the day when it gets hard to breath and my chest hurts. I'm constantly tired and fighting with my eyes to stay awake. The nurses fed Jax throughout the night and let me sleep so I got a good 7 hours of sleep and I'm already having a hard time keep my eyes open. I've attempted to write his birth story 3 times now and read thru other posts and comment but I keep dozing off and jerking awake. The worst part is I'm not tired but I just can't keep my eyes open. I just have no energy

Anyone else have low hemoglobin and going thru this? I'm on iron pills all I hope they start working soon.
May 17th, 2014, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My hb was 6.6 when I left the hospital which I believe could have qualified me for a transfusion. They actually wanted to keep me longer but I left AMA. The first couple days after she was born I felt like you are describing, at least as far as the shortness of breath goes but I wasn't sure if it was from that or the surgery. I never felt tiredness like you describe but my hb was low before so I think my body was used to it. I've been on high doses of iron for 3 weeks now and had another blood draw at my GP...I thought it was going to be a blood panel measuring hb but when I called the receptionist said she only had the iron value and said it was quite high...said that if that's high you can assume the hb is ok too and I could stop taking the iron pills Not sure if I believe that as I wouldn't think 3 weeks would be enough time to get it up. Will ask my ob/gyn about it at my 6 week pp check up.

The midwife that does our home visits recommended I get my hb checked again before the 6 week check up so if yours is as low as mine I would recommend you do that. I also have been eating a TON of red meat, always with something that contains vit. C...Spaghetti bolognese is good, stuffed bell peppers or chilli.

May 17th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Super Mommy
I have it before baby so if I end up with a c-section I automatically qualify for blood transfusions. Yay.......Ive felt like that for about 2 months. 3 weeks is way too early to go off the iron pills. My dr said they dont even make a big difference for at least 4 weeks after starting them. I started huge doses 8 weeks ago and it was only at the 6 weeks mark I started noticing a difference.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

May 18th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Good to know! DH is going to pick up a copy of the lab work and then we will be able to see for ourselves if the hb is on there and what it is. Both of us are very skeptical it has improved enough for me to go off the iron .

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search