Colic

Forum: May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By bella88
  • 1 Post By Ellies_mom
  • 1 Post By lovemylittlemiss

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2014, 11:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Does anyone know when colic starts? I've looked it up but have found different answers. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Little A is such an easy going baby (so far)...so much easier than her sister, that I keep worrying she will develop colic or suddenly become very difficult. Big A never had colic but was very high maintenance...this describes her if you're not familiar with high needs: 12 Features of a High Need Baby | Ask Dr Sears® | The Trusted Resource for Parents Basically she was very intense and needed to be in my arms and my arms only 24/7. She also slept very little (and still does!). I got really "touched out" and found it difficult to meet her needs and keep up with everything else.

May 19th, 2014, 12:31 PM
Super Mommy
Colic can start anytime in the first 3 weeks and last up to 6 months. So they say.....Ellie was the calmest baby on the planet until 6 days old then started screaming bloody murder until she was 9 months. She had painful digestive problems though so I contribute that to why she was miserable for so long.

Every baby has regular times of the day where they scream and nothing really calms them down. Colic is when they scream like that all day/night and only have small periods where they calm down. So the opposite really. Its horrific to deal with. Most of the time they will only get a bit better for one person like your first baby so dealing with them is really hard since you're on 24/7. They also can be very gassy and terrible sleepers (Ellie still doesnt sleep through the night and shes turning 7) and even have growth issues since crying takes up a lot of their energy! So they can be more hungry but still grow a little slower.

Everyone and theur dog gives a million wivestales for what to do with a colicky baby but honestly unless theyve been through it ignore them. We finally went with the survival approach.....if it worked even for 10 mins we did it. Even if it meant holding her 24/7 (she never once had tummy time) and creating issues down the road to deal with (sleeping with us never in her own room). Things are a lot easier to fix when your baby is acting like a normal child not something spawned out of the 7th or 8th level of hell.

Hope I helped....feel free to ask me any questions. I hope no one on this board has to deal with colic, but realistically someone will

May 19th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you had to go through that :/ Like you said, I hope no one here has to deal with colic...dealing with DD1 was hard enough as it was, even without her having colic on top of it so my heart goes out to people that do have colicky babies. I hope your second baby is calm and doesn't have the same digestive issues!

May 19th, 2014, 04:25 PM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have no idea sorry but wanted to say THANK YOU for that article. James is very much like that and I appreciated you sharing it.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

May 19th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemylittlemiss View Post
Sorry you had to go through that :/ Like you said, I hope no one here has to deal with colic...dealing with DD1 was hard enough as it was, even without her having colic on top of it so my heart goes out to people that do have colicky babies. I hope your second baby is calm and doesn't have the same digestive issues!
Thanks. Im hoping so too! DH has the digestive issues though so it seems to be genetic. Im hoping with this LO baking so long she will come out a lot healthier! Hopefully your LO stays calm and never edges on the colicky or even high maintenance path!
lovemylittlemiss likes this.

May 20th, 2014, 02:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella88 View Post
I have no idea sorry but wanted to say THANK YOU for that article. James is very much like that and I appreciated you sharing it.
No problem. One thing that irritated the crap out of me is that many people don't believe you when you say your baby is high maintenance or different...especially if you're a FTM....they just say all babies are high maintenance. Um, no! There is definitely a difference in personalities/neediness of babies and I can 100% attest to this now because my girls are so different. Back when DD1 was a newborn it really helped me to know that high needs is a real thing and it wasn't just me being a new mom.

I'm not sure if that article talks about this but it's also common for high maintenance babies to hit milestones early and a lot of people say they end up being more intelligent...not sure if that's true or if it's just something they say to make moms like us feel better! Haha! I do believe that DD1 hated being a baby because she was so limited in what she could do...once she started becoming more mobile and independent things got A LOT better. She started getting less needy around 3 months and once she could sit up things were so much easier (she sat unsupported really early too). It's hard but it doesn't last forever. Do you have a good baby carrier? That really helped us. Also, make sure you take time for yourself...like I said, I got really touched out so to speak and I don't think I took care of my needs as much as I should have.

May 20th, 2014, 03:55 AM
bella88's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yeah having a bit of a touched out day here today. He's just gone down after a full on sooky la la afternoon and I'm thinking bed even though it's 7:30 lol. I have a sling that he likes sometimes and a carrier that he's not keen on. The times he hates it are usually when I really need him to like it for a few seconds lol. When he's cracking it one thing works then it doesn't and then it might again later after trying other things. Always wants to feed, barely sleeps in the day and always wants to be held when awake and it isn't unusual for him to wake himself up if you put him down when he's sleeping. It's been crazy how strong he is though. His head control even from birth has been nuts and he won't let you do anything that he doesn't want to do. Getting him dressed is a chore lol. He really does seem frustrated with being a baby, that's a great way to put it! Looks up at me with his cross little face because he can't tell me what he wants. His cry is pretty adorable. I know he's not saying it really but his cry sounds like he's saying no and mum in a look little voice lol. My sister has been over so it's been good to hand him over for even a couple of minutes when things get too much with DH being back at work. Sorry to hijack the thread .

May 20th, 2014, 10:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
You're not thread jacking! Don't worry about it! He def. sounds a lot like my first DD...she always knew when we put her down too and would wake up within a few minutes. It does get better though! He will probably start hitting milestones early which is nice! DD1 first smiled at 4 weeks
Ellies_mom likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search