Boob juice freezer!

Forum: **NEW** May 2014 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By joanna26

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To **NEW** May 2014 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2013, 09:17 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
So. I have been thinking about this a bit but I won't be able to really make it happen until I start breastfeeding. If all goes well with my supply and bun eating well, would it be wise to try to save up some extra bags of breastmilk? And possibly put it in a separate freezer? My current freezer is fairly small so I'm wondering if it would be a good idea (when the time comes) to buy a small freezer dedicated to stuff for baby. Especially since SO will have paternity leave, I want him to be prepared and not freaking out for feedings. A nice smooth transition.

Have any BTDT moms ever done that?

Back in the day my mom had a 'deep freezer' in the garage that allowed us to have TONS of extra freezer space for when she was nursing. That freezer was huge though because we were a bigger family. I would just get a small side freezer.
October 19th, 2013, 09:59 AM
Masesmama's Avatar Veteran
Definitely a good idea to have a deep freezer. In a deep freezer, milk will last longer anyway. Of course you won't want to start pumping for about a month or two after baby comes if you don't absolutely have to.. so you have a well established supply, but it's definitely a good idea to look into a deep freezer, even just a small one. I currently have about half my freezer full of my sister's breastmilk lol. She left it here when she moved houses and hasn't taken it back yet.. so it definitely takes up lots of space!

Expecting Baby Boy #2!

Due May 12, 2014!

October 19th, 2013, 10:50 AM
BB2014's Avatar Super Mommy
I always stored the milk in my babysitter's deep freezer. She was my best friend. This time around, LO will be attending daycare so I'll have to put them in my own freezer. Once DS was older like 6 months and older- he would go through 3 bags a day when I was work. So that will def take up a lot of space!!

October 19th, 2013, 12:53 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I started pumping with #2 when he was a few days old, and saved every ounce that I could knowing I was going back to work after three months. When we moved to our new house (when he was 6 weeks old), we got a deep freezer and I kept all his milk down there except for whatever he would need while he was gone. I would also pump ahead so he would have fresh milk andI wouldn't have to burn through my freezer stash so quickly. If I worked on Thursday, I would start pumping on Tuesday and pump 2 bottles Tuesday and 2 bottles Wednesday and he would drink 3 while I was at work Thursday and then I'd replace that with what I pumped at work for Friday! I also froze my milk flat so that I had a bunch of nice flat packs of milk, so they fit in the freezer better.

October 19th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had so much frozen milk it was falling out of the fridge freezer & filled our deep freeze. I just had tons and tons. I way over produced milk though, it was insane

October 19th, 2013, 02:38 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's definitely a good idea to have a milk stash. I haven't yet been able too I'm hoping everything is different this time around, however, I'm quite prepared to struggle yet again. But when we had donated milk, we kept it in our old deep freezer, unfortunately, we don't have it anymore. I will have to borrow my moms if I get donated again or can manage to store myself.

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story
October 19th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If you plan to pump when you go back to work definitely start working on a "stash" soon after birth. Ideally you will pump enough each day to meet his/her demand but you still need a sizable stash to get started and cover any shortfalls. I kept mine in a separate deep freeze we have.
ashleyjo likes this.

October 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM
ashleyjo's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was a milk hoarder for a while.. I have an average milk supply and made it to a year with Brock-- at one point my deep freezer had 500 oz stashed in it.. It was hard to start breaking into it though!

October 20th, 2013, 06:46 AM
LUSHaye's Avatar Super Mommy
I think I'll definitely get one once my supply starts coming in. I hope I don't struggle but you just never know until you get there.
October 20th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would at one point I had at least 8 or 9 thousand oz it was definitely excessive and I donated a ton. Luckily this time I am a stay at home mom and hopefully will only have to pump occasionally.

October 20th, 2013, 01:16 PM
mkljmom's Avatar Super Mommy
I worked with my others (except #3) and despised pumping. I mean, I hate it. I pumped at work but supplemented with formula if I didn't have enough in storage. I usually had enough for my 3 12 hours shifts depending. I make enough milk to feed octuplets.
Mommy to Max 9/21/99, Lucy 8/9/05, Kirby 7/18/07, Jaycie 2/11/09, and expecting baby #5 5/6/14
October 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
inyourhonor's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LUSHaye View Post
I think I'll definitely get one once my supply starts coming in. I hope I don't struggle but you just never know until you get there.
That's very true, it wasn't until my 3rd child when I was diagnosed with Hypoplasia/IGT http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...ndular-tissue/

I hope you don't struggle like I do. I wish you the best milk making abilities! As funny as it sounds

Killian Rivers born April 17th at 36 weeks

Killian's Birth Story

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search