The long essay of Phoebe's birth.

Walk the Plank

The Birth Stories of our Pirates and Pixies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 5 Post By ILoveStorm2011

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Walk the Plank LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 3rd, 2013, 11:07 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Well here goes my super long birth story
I couldn’t sleep the whole 3rd trimester of pregnancy, so staying up till 4 AM on the 27th wasn’t a big surprise to me. What was a surprise was when I woke up at 6:30 and thought I had felt a small gush of fluid and found blood in the toilet. I had lost my bloody show. Ew. Very different from just the plug, trust me. I called L&D and they said to wear a pad and see if I leak. I didn’t so I decided to go to bed, but by then I was already having contractions 7-8 min apart, though some were going to 13 min. My mother said it sounded like false labor, but she did admit they sounded like real contractions and she got dressed to go anyways.

I NEVER felt the pain in the front or cramping – mine were 100% in the back, literally right above my butt. It felt like back spasm/cramps that never wrapped around.

I napped from 9:30-12:30, but woke up literally every hour on the dot with a contraction, when I started timing them they were 5 min apart so I got up and they seemed to calm down to 4-8 min apart, with some at 20 min and some at 13 so I went upstairs to watch some TV with the family.
About 1.5 hours later I decided to go on a walk. I was sick of the inconsistency of the contractions so I got on a jacket and walked about thirty minutes – having a contraction every ten. I might have walked longer, but I was like “Forget this” after my second contraction.

They were still uneven so I went for another nap, but they were hurting too bad. I tried skyping DH and I would literally scream through a few. A heating pad helped, but nothing stopped the pain at 7:30 when I had 2 of the worst contractions ever. I screamed and went upstairs to eat when they were finished. While microwaving my sandwhich I began to cry and my step father got my mother. She told me “If you can’t handle it now, how are you going to give birth” or something along those lines. I told her I could handle it – those two just REALLY hurt. She told me we should go even though they were 7-9 minutes apart. I called L&D and they said I can come in if I want, but I might just get sent home.

On the way to the hospital they became 4-5 min apart, 1 min long, and much more consistent.
I checked in at 3- 4 cm at 9:30 ish (although the training midwife said 3 I think the doctor was taking pity on me and gave me a four). I wanted my epidural and by 11:30 they came in and gave me one – I was already 6-7 cm by then (let me add that make sure your coach knows some medical history because I ended up having to answer through 2-4 min contractions and that sucked).
While putting in my epi they asked if I felt it in my right side. I said I didn’t know and they moved and asked again. I was having contractions the whole time and I literally screamed “I DON’T KNOW! ….YES YES.” Just to get them to give me the drugs. Turns out, it still wasn’t 100% in my right side so they just turned me because I did not want them to redo the process, although it didn’t hurt.

So time passed and I skyped my husband who was very sweet, but annoying and upsetting me when the signal wasn’t too strong. Doctor accidently broke my water at 9.5 cm and we found out she had meconium in it and there went my immediate skin-to-skin and delayed cord clamping. I was 10 cm by 5am, being stuck to the bed sucked and I had restless leg syndrome and was trying so hard to move. No pain was awesome. Baby was still at a +1 so they propped me up and I waited till 7 before she was +2 and I started to push.

Pushing sucks, especially 2 hours, which is what I had to do. By the end I was so tired, my stomach hurt so bad, my lung were on fire – and I was on oxygen, taking hits between pushes, and I wanted to puke (almost did, but swallowed it down). I told the doctors my focal point was a cold turkey sandwhich I had gotten at midnight that was in the fridge. My husband was encouraging me the whole time. They also asked twice if I wanted to see baby come out – No thank-you. Then if I wanted to touch her head – extra no thank-you. I’m pretty sure my doctor was using her fingers to help get baby’s head down. She was having a hard time getting out of my apparently small pelvis and they put baby shampoo on her head to try to wiggle it out more effectively.

Probably 1 hour and 50 min was me getting head out and 30 seconds was the actual body. Sweet relief.

I didn’t get to hear her cries or anything for quite a while as they suctioned her. I had torn in two places, but nothing too major and they were stitching me as I kept asking how my baby was. Finally when I got to hold her I was so happy, but that was only a short time before they took her to the special nursery where my MIL followed. They finished stitching me up and I had to wait an hour for my baby, skyping my DH the entire time as we waited to make sure she was okay. There was a lot of meconium as she came out apparently.

Finally, at probably 10:30-11 am I got to hold Phoebe and she was mine.

October 3rd, 2013, 11:35 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
She is so pretty! Congratulations! Long long labor! 6:30 one morning till 10 am-ish the next? Yikes! At least that's all over with, and you can snuggle her up now.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven. Hoping to get knocked up in 2016. Sometimes.

http://arwenart.com
October 4th, 2013, 07:25 AM
MrsPea's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She is a beauty! Congratulations!

October 4th, 2013, 07:39 AM
AshleeH's Avatar Veteran
beautiful ... congrats!

Make a pregnancy ticker
October 5th, 2013, 12:12 PM
slmehaffey's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww good job mama! she is a beautiful little girl!

October 5th, 2013, 02:48 PM
FishermansWife4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Aww. Congratulations, Mama and I'm sorry to hear you were away from her for so long. Hope you get to enjoy her now.

2013 Mommy
"No freedom til' we're equal. D*mn right I support it." - Macklemore "Same love"
October 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM
ILoveStorm2011's Avatar Mack :)
Thanks i know it could have been longer, but i felt so lost!
October 6th, 2013, 08:06 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wowee, what a story. So glad all worked out. She is gorgeous!
October 8th, 2013, 05:45 AM
Julie
What a story! She is gorgeous, congratulations

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search