Dawsyn Brielle

Walk the Plank

The Birth Stories of our Pirates and Pixies

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Walk the Plank LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2014, 10:25 PM
joonzgurl's Avatar Proud mama of 2 girls
On Sunday, October 27th I went to the hospital for a non-stress test and for an ultrasound to check baby’s fluid levels. I was 12 days overdue with Dawsyn at that point, who was my second.

My OB had always maintained that she felt it safest that medical intervention be started by 10 days post dates at the latest, so I was quite certain I would be induced that day. After the stress test and ultrasound, however, the doctor said that the baby was “happy as a clam in there”- my fluid levels were excellent and there were no problems with baby’s heart beat. She was willing to wait until Tuesday to intervene if I wanted (42 weeks) and looking back, I wish I had.

I was trying for a VBAC, and felt confident because I was 2cm dialated and 90% effaced. When I started my induction with my first baby (at 42+1) I had no progress and my cervix was hard. Long story short, we decided to start the induction that night. I was impatient.

Because I was a VBAC, my options were limited. We inserted a folley bulb, and after monitoring me for a little while and me walking the halls, they allowed me to be released to a hotel for the night where I could rest better. I was just about to get into bed at the hotel when I felt a pop and a gush of water- the folley bulb had broken!!!!

Back to the hospital to be assessed, sent back to the hotel to rest and start again in the morning.

I had another folley bulb inserted and was released on a pass to go shopping and out for lunch. Mind contractions through morning. When we got back to the hospital the folley bulb fell out (meaning 4cm) but true labour had not started. They were short staffed and I had to wait 2 hours before they could start a Pitocin drip to try and get things going, and by then with the folley bulb out and not putting pressure anymore my cervix had closed up a bit again.

I had my water broken at some point, and boy did that make my contractions unbearable. By 10pm that night I was in so much pain during my contractions, however they were quite short (only 30-45 seconds). With my first, my induction lasted 36 hours before it ended in c-section. It was not the ideal way to start motherhood. I did NOT want to go through that again and had already been at it for 24 hours (minus sleeping at the hotel). I was at the point where I wanted to be assessed and wanted an epidural. “Either give me an epi or give me a c-section!” I said. I would not, could not, go on for another 12 hours having Pitocin contractions without an end in sight.

So at 11 the dr finally came and I still had no progress. It was heart breaking. I was only 3cm after 8 hours on the drip with no pain relief! I had been 4cm when that folley bulb came out. I was so frustrated that they couldn’t start the drip right when I was 4cm and instead I had to sit around for 2 hours waiting. They wouldn’t give me an epi until 5cm. The dr told me that I had two options: I could either have surgery, or we could keep going and it would probably be at least 24 hours until the baby came. I opted for the surgery.

My spinal took a long time. The anesthesiologist could not get it in and they had to get an ultrasound machine to look at the bones in my spine. It took over an hour of being poked and prodded (no exaggerating there). I was getting scared I would have to go under general anesthetic.

Finally, at 1:31am on October 29th, Dawsyn Brielle was born weighing 7lb 11oz and 21 inches long. She scored a 9 on her apgar and the doctors were amazed at “how good of condition” she was in considering how “overdue” I was. I just bake ‘em extra long to make sure they are perfect!

I’m pretty sad I didn’t get my VBAC, but I am so happy I have two beautiful baby girls!

Proud mama to:

Avery Elizabeth (08/27/2011) & Dawsyn Brielle (10/29/2013)
January 24th, 2014, 08:17 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I'm sorry your birth didn't go how you wanted. I know none of mine did, and it sucks. I know every mother dreams of an absolutely perfect birth, and it's not too often that we get it, unfortunately.

Regardless, congratulations on your second baby girl! I bet she's a gem.
joonzgurl likes this.

3 on Earth and 7 in Heaven Hoping to get knocked up in 2016...sometimes.
http://arwenart.com
February 5th, 2014, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Too bad about not getting the VBAC, we all do have a picture of our ideal birth and don't always get it. For me the birth went fine, but Henry's apgars were bad and it was very scary, no delayed cord clamping, no skin to skin, just whisked away for resuscitation.

Glad she was healthy and happy though! xx

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search