1st "Birthday Celebration" ideas

Forum: Loss of a Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Loss of a Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Jillinebinny's Avatar Veteran
So our daughter's 1st birthday is in a week (the 27th) and we are planning on having a "Birthday Celebration" with friends and family. Only thing is, we aren't sure what to do....it's not like a normal birthday party where the child of honor can entertain everyone....

We are going to have cake (decorated with butterflies and a little cake for Grace) and punch and i want to have a little guest book for people to write messages to me and DH (we also had this book at her memorial service). I'm also thinking about having stationary available for those who want to write a letter to Grace.

Something i'm thinking about doing is having a pattern for diapers that i made to donate to the hospital for babies who have passed (they are small so they will fit the very tiny ones that preemie diapers do not...) and those who want to then take that pattern and make diapers can.

But i really am at a loss...i mean, how should we conduct things, how should it go? What should we do??? I know DH and i are going to spend most of the day together at the cemetery...but what should we do at the celebration with our family and friends? What are things you have done or things you suggest? (something to keep in mind is we don't have money to really spend on the party....)

Thank you for your help.

(quick background: Grace is our first child. When i was having my ultrasound at 20 weeks they found i had no fluid and at 21 weeks diagnosed her with Bilateral Multicystic Kidney Disease and told us she would not live. I was induced at 32 weeks because i was having complications and she died 10-15 minutes after she was born. We are currently pregnant with our second child (i'm 26 weeks).)
May 20th, 2010, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
on calypso's first birthday we had a balloon release and then went to the park where we had a birthday party and cake. On her 2nd birthday we had a balloon release and buried her ashes in the urn vault.

on her third birthday this year we're doing a balloon release, covering her grave with bears, doing a donation to Riley children's Hospital NICU in her name, and doing a cake
May 20th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Thank you for the suggestions We've thought about donating something to our hospital, but i think that would be a really great idea to do Thanks.

The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home ~Harold B. Lee

May 22nd, 2010, 04:51 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I had McKenzie and Madison on October 3. They always have the Walk To Remember the first weekend in October. Their first birthday was on Friday. We spent that day as a family. We went out for lunch, went and built a bear for McKenzie and for Madison. We bought some books to donate to the NICU. Saturday we had the Walk and Balloon Release. Later that night we had a party at my family. Sunday we went to Hubby's family for a Birthday Party.

Second Birthday was on a Saturday. The Walk to Remember was actually on their birthday. My family all came so we had a picnic lunch and party at the park. We went and got some books to donate and donated them to the NICU. Sunday we had a party at Grandmas.

Third birthday is coming up and not sure of plans yet.
May 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM
Thanks for sharing I do like the idea of donating something to the hospital.

The most important work we will ever do is within the walls of our own home ~Harold B. Lee

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search