May I Join You and a Question

Forum: Loss of a Child

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Loss of a Child LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 15th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I lost my daughter at birth on April 9, 2009. She had anencephaly and we knew from 12 weeks on she would pass either at birth or shortly there after. I miss Grace everyday and my husband and I strive to still make her a part of our lives. We light a candle at dinner for her every night, she has a Christmas stocking that hangs with ours and we buy flowers for it every year, I talk to her often, etc.

I don't expect our families to feel the same way we do about keeping her in our lives but my Mom has been really unsupportive. She constantly tells me that Grace doesn't count as her grandchild or my child, that I only have one child (my son who was born in July), that my sister's daughter has been and will always be her oldest Grandchild (though my daughter is/was born first), that I need to get over it and move on, etc. It really hurts and I told her that I don't expect her to feel the same way I do but I really want her to respect my feelings and to please not say these things in front of me but she seems to go out of her way to bring it up in conversation and say these things constantly.

Has anyone else experienced a family member like this and do you have any advice for me? I'm trying really hard to respect her feelings but she's not respecting mine.
December 16th, 2010, 12:49 AM
MellieB's Avatar Platinum Supermommy

My son Zachary was born April 9 2008, just one year before your Grace.

Your mother sounds exactly like mine. She refuses to say she has a grandson (unless of course she is trying to illicit sympathy from someone).

In this situation she needs to respect you and understand that Grace is your child and always will be. I'd keep telling her this and hope that maybe one day she will get the message. Has my mother yet gotten the message? No. When she brings up the topic of my brother "giving" her a grandson, I answer that she already has one. Me talking about Zac makes her very uncomfortable but I do it anyway in the hope that she will see my point of view.

ETA: This may sound harsh but I don't think you need to respect her feeling on this. Grace will always be your child and she will just have to live with that.

Thanks to Claire1979 for the amazing siggy.

Tweet Tweet Facebook Bloggin'

Our Angel Baby on Facebook

December 23rd, 2010, 12:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm with the previous poster. I don't think you have to respect her feelings on this. She is disrupting your grieving process and essentially saying you are doing it wrong. I think you need to sit her down say 'This is the way it is, you talking different will not change it. If you can't respect this you need to back off'
December 23rd, 2010, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I appreciate both of your responses and that's exactly what my husband has been telling me to do. She started to tell me (a few days ago) that I have to have more children because I just have one (my son) and that's not enough, etc. I snapped at her telling her that I've had two and I have no desire to have a third and ended the conversation.

Thanks for the advice. I feel better since that conversation and I've decided I'm done dealing with her since she won't respect me or my family.
December 23rd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Good for you sweetie!! You don't need to even pay attention to her comments! If she shows no respect for you then you don't have to show her any respect either. It's earned not given
January 10th, 2011, 01:45 PM
KaiyaRae'sMomma's Avatar Forever missing Kaiya Rae
I don't have any further advice. I just want to say How awful of her!!! and that you are so brave and strong for keeping Grace a part of your every day life, and you have every right to do so. She is your baby always. Sorry for you loss.

Thank you Alethia for my siggy!

Read my blog: www.grievingmomma.wordpress.com
January 10th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I am so sorry! HUGS! My story is a little different since we lost one of identical twins at 5 months old. They were born at 28 weeks and Madison was born with a Left Sided Congenital Diaphragmatic Hernia. She was a miracle to have survived for the 5 months. It has been just shy of 3 years since we lost Madison. McKenzie is a huge reminder of everything Madison should be. I still feel like people want to forget about Madison. I choose to ignore them. I also have people who support me. I still wish people were more sensitive. HUGS! Laura Mom to McKenzie and Angel Madison.
January 11th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thank you for all your support. I'm sorry for all your losses ladies. May you all find peace and have supportive family and friends.
January 18th, 2011, 07:02 PM
Jodi Dawn's Avatar Host of the Jan-July 05 P
Send a message via Yahoo to Jodi Dawn
hugs hun. That is horrible that your Mom acts like that. I hope that she can rethink her thinking and feel different about it
February 22nd, 2011, 12:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry to hear this. Perhaps this is her way of dealing with the disappointment, but it is not right, and I am so sorry that you have to deal with that on top of losing your baby.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search