Dtap

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By jayepink

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 30th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I got the dtap vaccine like recommended by my dr. My appointment was on Tuesday and my arm is still screaming, I can't even raise my hand when does it stop hurting
October 31st, 2013, 03:14 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
I've never had a reaction like that before. I'm so sorry your arm is hurting you like that. I'd call the doctor and see what they say.

Hope it feels better today!
October 31st, 2013, 04:19 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't remember being in that much paun, but I was sore and stiff for about a week when I had mine.

October 31st, 2013, 04:51 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I had the issue of being stiff for a few days, that is about it. Hope it gets better for you soon. Pain is no good!
October 31st, 2013, 06:19 AM
epsilonbeta's Avatar Super Mommy
Tdap is about the worst shot to get. It took a couple days of me not being able to raise my arm up.

Excitedly Expecting #1 w/ PCOS around June 16, 2014
Adopted mom to DS (16)
October 31st, 2013, 06:43 AM
Veteran
I had it last year and I had a golf ball sized knot on my arm and it hurt for almost 2 weeks.

Mommy of two Boys
Expecting Baby Boy #3!!

Angel in Heaven 7/2013
October 31st, 2013, 07:02 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I got one the day my son was born, and I remember it being sore for a few days.

However, speaking of the shot, I am a little...confused, I guess, on what to do. The nurse told me the shot is good for 10 years. I got one just over 3 years ago when DS was born. The nurse also told me that they will recommend I get another before this baby is born. However, technically, the one I got in 2010 will still be well within those 10 years. I mean, it won't even be 4 full years at that point. I really hate to get another so close together, and I really hate to get the vaccine while pregnant. I understand that it's to prevent risk of pertussis to baby, and that the shot takes 2-4 weeks to take effect, so getting it once the baby is born isn't as effective. However, technically, I'm still vaccinated against it from the last shot. AND our June babies won't be born during a high risk season for pertussis anyway. That said, I do want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to keep baby healthy. I am just so torn!

October 31st, 2013, 07:04 AM
trusting and believing
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicMama View Post
I got one the day my son was born, and I remember it being sore for a few days.

However, speaking of the shot, I am a little...confused, I guess, on what to do. The nurse told me the shot is good for 10 years. I got one just over 3 years ago when DS was born. The nurse also told me that they will recommend I get another before this baby is born. However, technically, the one I got in 2010 will still be well within those 10 years. I mean, it won't even be 4 full years at that point. I really hate to get another so close together, and I really hate to get the vaccine while pregnant. I understand that it's to prevent risk of pertussis to baby, and that the shot takes 2-4 weeks to take effect, so getting it once the baby is born isn't as effective. However, technically, I'm still vaccinated against it from the last shot. AND our June babies won't be born during a high risk season for pertussis anyway. That said, I do want to make sure I'm doing everything possible to keep baby healthy. I am just so torn!
Yeah, the next one you get is really for your unborn baby and not you so much.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
October 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Mine was about 7yrs ago, and other than asking when I. had it it was not suggested for either of my other pregnancies. I won't be getting it again this time either.

October 31st, 2013, 09:46 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Yikes! Sorry you're still sore! I've never had it recommended at all during my pregnancies. Interesting! I'll have to ask about that next week. I wonder if the recommendations have changed since I had my daughter in 2012?
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

October 31st, 2013, 10:06 AM
trusting and believing
They have only recently started giving it to moms during their third trimester, because of a higher than usual number of Pertussis cases. When I had my son at the end of 2010, they were not offering this to pregnant moms. It's just as of late. I am definitely getting it. I have heard some sad stories with this recent outbreak.

Mom to one son born December 2010 and expecting another little guy June 16, 2014!
October 31st, 2013, 11:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Dtap is the tetenis/pertussis vaccine right? I had it when I was preg with Ryan, got it back in 09. Ry was born in 10 and luke was born in 11, I never bothered to get it while preg with Luke. I dont think I will with this one either. I may change my mind, but I dont really care to get shots while pregnant. I have always been torn about the whole getting your children vaccines thing, due to the links between vaccines and certain syndromes/disabilities. I have always gotten my kids vaccinated but I worry everytime. Fortunately I am not sensitive to any vaccines and thankfully my kids have never had any sensitivities to them either. I want to do the right thing and protect my kids by getting them vaccinated, but sometimes I do doubt vaccines... Sorry a little off topic.

October 31st, 2013, 12:05 PM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I got it right after Annalise was born. I don't plan on getting it this time, but if my OB recommends it, then I will do more research. I take care of babies with pertussis sometimes..it's a very scary illness that a lot of people don't realize the consequences of.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
October 31st, 2013, 02:34 PM
momRT's Avatar Veteran
It hurts and is one of the most painful vaccines. I got it before I got pregnant with Danielle and will get it before this baby is born. Pertussis is one of the scariest things to watch a baby go through and I've seen bad cases in summer and winter. Now the flu shot is a whole mother story. I'm so pissed our employer is making us get it this year! The only year I've gotten it was the only year I got the flu since I've worked at this hospital.
Jackson 01/27/2014
Born at 19 weeks and 2 days

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search