Any recs for "liquid nutrition"?

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By Demetria
  • 2 Post By mrs_zipre
  • 1 Post By AtomicMama
  • 1 Post By rabbitranch
  • 1 Post By Caitlin

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 31st, 2013, 11:04 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Do they still make Slim Fast powder to make the shakes? Do y'all know of anything else that is sort of tasty and not too expensive? I think I need to move to drinking most of my calories and nutrition right now. A- I can't eat or even think about eating much of anything. And, what I do think I can tolerate from time to time is unhealthy and nutritionally void. B-Liquid is so much easier coming back up. I just can't tolerate throwing up any more food.

What do y'all think? I know there's the Ensure and Boost, etc, but those pre-made drinks are quite pricey for just getting 4 of them. I drink my iced mocha most days that I can get it down. I get decaf so the caffeine is minimal and I figure I at least get some good from the milk, and the calories are a plus. But, I obviously need more calories than that in a day.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

October 31st, 2013, 11:17 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
The first thing that came to my mind were smoothies, those are delicious, either at the local smoothie place (but you have to watch some of the ingredients and request to leave some or add some to your liking) or just making them yourself.
October 31st, 2013, 11:24 AM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
You can put Flax Seed in smoothies, 1 spoonful is a full serving of grains! Also there are those Carnation Good Start mixes you can find on the cereal aisle that you mix with milk. They are kind of like Ensure drinks. I drink the store brand of those for an easy breakfast, packed with vitamins.
October 31st, 2013, 11:44 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Last I knew they still sold Slim Fast powder, but there was always something in it that gave me bad tummy trouble, so you might want to be careful with that.

As crazy as this sounds, what about Pedisure? I'm not sure how the price compares to Ensure or an adult drink, but I think they might be a little cheaper? And it would still be a way to get some calories and nutrition in.
RunningMommyTo5 likes this.

October 31st, 2013, 11:47 AM
HopefulMommy81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I recommend smoothies..Slimfast when pregnant isn't recommended. You can put protein powder to your own smoothies/shakes.

Annalise is hoping to be a big sister on June 28, 2014. Forever missing her big brother, Matthew, stillborn on July 1, 2010.
October 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
Yeah, unfortunately I can't do smoothies. Fruit is also making me sick and I'm having a major aversion to most of it. I tried those with Bailey and threw them up, and haven't looked at them the same since. The thought of them right now makes me shutter....*sigh*

I know Slim Fast isn't recommended because you shouldn't use them to lose weight while pregnant or even diet, however, that's not my goal. I am not getting many calories in now because I can't eat. I need something that's not horrible tasting, but still somewhat bland to get down and hopefully keep down to get some calories in. Any calories, even from a Slim Fast, is better than none. I used to use my moms just because I liked them and they didn't give me any trouble. Plus, they do have some nutrition to them. I'm already on the smaller side, so I'm trying not to lose too much right now like I did with Bailey, but it's not happening so well. I'm already down 3 lbs and if this keeps up, it'll be several more before the first tri is over.

I'll look into the Carnation drinks and the pediasure to see! I need something at the moment! UGH!
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

October 31st, 2013, 12:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Hmmm...I agree, I wouldn't go the SlimFast route. Smoothies are a good suggestion. The stuff I've been able to get down, is basically crap. I expressed my concern to the doctor this week. She told me that at this stage in the pregnancy, the yolk sac is feeding the baby. It's more important what I ate before I got pregnant than right now. So, if bagels are the staple to my diet, that's ok. The baby gets what it needs.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

October 31st, 2013, 01:41 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
Kellogg's makes a To-Go breakfast shake, I think that's what it's called, To-Go. I saw there's an ecoupon this week for $1 off a 4-pack at Winn-Dixie if you have one near you.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w4d
October 31st, 2013, 06:40 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been having the same problem I've been taking my greens and that seems to help I'm also looking into profit. I forgot to ask my dr about it when I was in but since I was told by my dds ped she could have it I am pretty sure I can as well
October 31st, 2013, 08:47 PM
Caitlin's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Protein, protein, protein. I use Gold Standard and it tastes YUMMY in french vanilla. You can get it at GNC. I would honestly do like 3 scoops per serving and do 4-5 servings per day. Mix it with milk and/or a dab of peanut butter and you're golden.

Also, the Advocare system is one of those pyramid schemes but they have a GREAT all-natural meal replacement shake. It's kinda pricey- but anything is that is super healthy and tastes great.

Have you tried juicing? I juice on a normal basis and I can send you some really yummy recipes. I do spinach/cucumber/strawberry/banana daily for breakfast. Anything with cucumber or carrot is going to be super refreshing and light.
November 1st, 2013, 02:57 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
Could you make your own with things like yogurt, maybe a little scoop of ice cream, some peanut butter, a bit of a healthy oil for some fat calories snuck in, maybe a scoop of instant decaf coffee powder for flavor, etc? I do those occasionally when I am not pregnant and need something tasty and portable. Good luck!

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search