Moms with toddlers

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree16Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 4th, 2013, 09:51 AM
momRT's Avatar Veteran
So what has everyone's doctor said about holding/carrying their toddler? I've only seen the NP so far and I'm not a fan of her. I had Danielle with me at my appointment and at the end if the appointment I was talking to the NP out in the hall and Danielle asked me to hold her. So I pick her up and the NP starts telling Danielle that mommy can't hold her anymore unless I'm sitting down. I don't expect too many jealousy problems once the baby is born because Danielle will be older and she loves babies, but I feel like if we start off right away with now mommy won't hold you because of the baby, it'd be setting us up for problems. Of course when I get bigger I won't be holding her all the time and now when I'm too tired or not feeling right I'll convince her to have someone else hold her, but as long as I feel fine I don't see why I can't carry her, she's barely 30lbs!
Jackson 01/27/2014
Born at 19 weeks and 2 days

November 4th, 2013, 09:53 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
My OB told me not to hold kids over 20 pounds (and Betsy is 36!). Now, obviously there are times where I still have to pick her up but I have tried to avoid it. We've told her that Mommy's tummy hurts and the doctor doesn't want me to pick her up. So far, she seems to be okay with it.
November 4th, 2013, 09:58 AM
mrs_zipre's Avatar Loving my life!
No one has said anything to me and I had my son with me. I figure it is just like anything else, your body is already used to it so it shouldn't be an issue as long as you are lifting properly. With my last pregnancy I was approved to still pull pallets off the delivery trucks and sling cases of wine and soda.
November 4th, 2013, 10:05 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
My youngest is around 35 pounds, and there are definitely times where I still carry him. What can you do when they fall asleep in the car and you have to bring them inside, or if you're at an event and they pass out? I'm not really concerned about it.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w4d
November 4th, 2013, 10:06 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I haven't heard anything, and I've been carrying both kids around as much as usual (both right about at 40 lbs). With my pregnancy with DS, once I had a good bump, I used to carry the little boys I nannied on top of my bump because it was easier Granted, they were both younger/smaller than DS is now.

November 4th, 2013, 10:07 AM
BuckeyeGal23's Avatar Happy Mommy
My dr and nurse didn't say anything either, and we had lots of discussion about my son. I plan to hold him as long as possible!

I actually worry the most about the impact my pregnancy will have on our relationship I don't want to lose my special time with him!
jayepink likes this.

Mommy to Cameron, my amazing son born 10/11/2011
November 4th, 2013, 10:32 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
What exactly are doctors who give this advice worried about? We're pregnant. Not crippled. My DD is 31 lbs. I'm sick as a dog with m/s so I've not been carrying her around all that much. When I'm feeling better I'll carry her if I feel OK doing so. My body will tell me if there's a problem.
momRT and MamaFish like this.

November 4th, 2013, 10:40 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
[QUOTE=BuckeyeGal23;27776881]My dr and nurse didn't say anything either, and we had lots of discussion about my son. I plan to hold him as long as possible!

I actually worry the most about the impact my pregnancy will have on our relationship I don't want to lose my special time with him![/QUOTE]

Me too! DS has been starting to say he is a baby again and being very clingy. We haven't told the kids about the baby yet, but I get the feeling he can sense it. It breaks my heart thinking that I'm letting him down by having another baby or that it might hurt our relationship.
BuckeyeGal23 likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Well, I found out I was pregnant with Luke when Ryan was 7mos. I had Luke a month after Ry started to walk (15mos when luke was born), I carried him everywhere, in the carseat which was probably 30lbs with the carseat. I never had any issues. Right now they weigh the same, 32lbs. I carry both, although Luke likes to walk. Im not particularly concerned. My body is used to it, and Im sure the np or dr would have said something. Besides "live" weight feels lighter than "dead weight"
I picked up my Dog the other day... hes 105, I totally forgot that I should take it easy...
momRT likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeGal23 View Post

I actually worry the most about the impact my pregnancy will have on our relationship I don't want to lose my special time with him!
I am so terrified of this too. She is such a mommy's-girl and I am so afraid that I'm going to "lose" her to DH. I'm really hoping the the doctor will schedule my c-section for the Tuesday after Memorial Day so we can have one more weekend where it's just about her -- I was in tears about this the other day.
BuckeyeGal23 likes this.
November 4th, 2013, 12:55 PM
bluewren's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've only met with the nurse so far but she said nothing about me holding my son. Admittedly he loves cuddling with me when I'm sitting but is not really interested in being carried by me (he loves making DH carry him around though, lol). He only wants to be picked up by me when he has a horrible booboo and then put right back down after he gets his kisses. He weighs 30lbs on the nose.
moxiemommie likes this.

_______
November 4th, 2013, 01:15 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been told that with every pregnancy...I'm sure it's just a precautionary thing they tell everyone. With that said...some times it's just not feasible to NOT hold something over 20lbs...ESPECIALLY if that said something is another one of your children!!

After my first baby was born (c/s), I was told not to lift anything over 10lbs....ummm...baby girl was born at 10lbs 2 oz and I was not NOT going to hold her!!

You gotta do, what you gotta do using your best judgement!

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 02.17.12
Baby # 5 EDD July 1st, coming in Jun
November 4th, 2013, 01:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdaiwa24 View Post
I am so terrified of this too. She is such a mommy's-girl and I am so afraid that I'm going to "lose" her to DH. I'm really hoping the the doctor will schedule my c-section for the Tuesday after Memorial Day so we can have one more weekend where it's just about her -- I was in tears about this the other day.
Awww! I understand. I worried about it too. But it ended up working out to where I would nurse baby, and sit down with ry on the couch while nursing. Or lay a blanket on the living room floor (hardwood) Then baby got tummy time and Ry played with his toys and the baby. He was really good. He would always help me, by bringing me diapers. When Luke switched to bottles he fed him. I would always make "helping with baby" a mommy and Ryan thing. And when Luke napped we would spend time and watch a movie or play. Im not too woeeied because they both love babies and honestly the baby will sleep, so you can have that time with the kids. It takes some balancing at first but once yiu get a schedule it really works out. He told everyone anytime we went out that that was his baby Luke LOL.
BuckeyeGal23 likes this.

November 4th, 2013, 03:33 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had Deanna with me at my appointment and held her most the time. No one said anything to me.
November 4th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
Rabbitranch, love your stick figure family!!! I want one!!!!

NO one said anything to me and I've been pregnant with a 2 year old once and now with a 3 year old. Usually I tell her to climb up into my lap, but I'll pick her up to put her in her carseat if it's too cold or if she is being slow. But I'm trying to not strain!
November 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
No one's ever said anything to me through my 4 pregnancies. My MW and Dr's rule is that anything you did before, keep it up, with the obvious modifications like nothing flat on your back, etc. So, if you're used to carrying around your kid(s) and you have no issues or complications, then it is completely ok to continue to hold them. It sounds like it's the "old school" standard advice that was given many, many years ago and perhaps they're not up to date on the latest studies and research that proves pregnancy is not a disease or a handicap. I'm a runner and fitness instructor. I've always lifted my normal weights right up until delivery. If I'm squatting 80lbs for 5+min while teaching bodypump, and clean and pressing 40lb, etc, then I think it's ok to carry around my 20lb little girl and 45lb 3-year old (yes, he's a big guy, LOL) when needed. Obviously, so your own research and definitely ask your dr their recommendations, but I wouldn't be worried about it at all!!!!
njkatc, MamaFish and BuckeyeGal23 like this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

November 5th, 2013, 04:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I saw the OB who did both of my sections when I had the pregnancy confirmed. He wanted to see pics of my boys, and said nothing about changing anything in the way I do things with them. My 2 year old is 35 lbs and wants to be carried everywhere. He has been dealing with some regression issues since DS2 is getting more attention because of the milestones he is reaching. I carried DS1 around until the day I went to the hospital with DS2 and will continue to do so this time unless it starts to hurt.

November 5th, 2013, 06:15 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I havent had anything said, I took my toddler with me to both of my appointments so far and was also carrying her. I held my 1st DD while I was pregnant with my toddler! I carried her up stairs and everything even with a bigger belly. She was not as insistent on being held as my toddler is now but I still picker her up.
November 5th, 2013, 10:30 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I always thought you could do what you are already used to

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

November 5th, 2013, 12:14 PM
Wow, how did I end up with the super paranoid and strict OB?????????

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search