A little early, but anyone planning on using cloth?

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 9th, 2013, 07:19 AM
Veteran
Hey y'all... is anyone thinking of cloth diapering their kiddo? I have gotten talked out of it the last two times, but I'd really like to give it a shot this time. Anyone else? Anyone BTDT? The "good" ones like BumGenius seem so prohibitively expensive for startup, but I have a friend who uses the super cheap AIO's from China (AlvaBaby?) and swears by them, so apparently you don't have to go high dollar to get good results (and cute fluffy butts).

Thanks!
-Gypsy
November 9th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I've been playing with the idea.
November 9th, 2013, 08:02 AM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
We did cloth with #4, mostly the sized Fuzzibunz and a few of the BG 3.0's, and then various brands. Overall it was a good experience, I loved not having to buy diapers and wipes and it wasn't a big deal to me to run a load of diaper laundry every few days. It was nothing like I imagined it would be, I was expecting gross and messy but honestly it's almost identical to disposable diapering, except you stuff the dirty diapers in a fabric bag to wash later instead of a trash can. We had almost no blowouts with cloth, which you tend to have with disposables. Very few leaks especially in the younger days. The only real cons for me were that they are bulky - especially certain brands - and it can be hard to get pants that fit (probably easier to CD a girl in dresses!) and we wore all of the elastic out in our Fuzzibunz and the velcro out in the BG's, and the all-in-one's take forever to dry. We will probably do cloth with this one but I will only invest in snaps and we'll probably do the hybrid types where you can re-use the covers and adjust the inserts to your needs - i.e. Flips or Best Bottoms.

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
November 9th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I will probably be giving it another go this time around. My 9yr old was completely CD'ed from 3 mths old until potty trained, but he was allergic to the chemicals in diapers. I started out with Ava, my 2yr old but gave up early on and sold off all of hers.
November 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Social Halfwit's Avatar the shade of it all
I am! I tried to work on a CD registry but I have noo idea what to get.

Ry, happily engaged to Zach.
Mom to Bodhi, Brigham, and Elliott.

November 9th, 2013, 09:17 AM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I am! We CD'd DD and will be reusing her stash. There are tons of options out there for every budget and every personal preference. Don't feel pressured to get the "good" ones. I personally don't like BGs. I find they're over-priced. The china cheapies (Alvababy/Sunbaby, etc.) have their pros & cons. They're dirt cheap, cute, and work great but they're more narrow and so don't fit the typical toddler. You'll likely need a few different kinds to get you through to PTing. I always recommend prefolds and covers for the newborn stage. Cheap, EASY (really), and they fit. AIOs and pockets don't fit until baby is about 12 lbs and fitteds are absurdly expensive to buy for a newborn just to wear for a few weeks.

November 9th, 2013, 09:50 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I am I CDed DS and had just sold all his diapers when I found out I was PG with this one, haha. I'm very selective about diapers (and toys and most items) and won't buy any made in China, and preferably only made in North America. It's all totally personal preference on what you use though! I know people who swear by Chinese diapers (Alvas, Sunbabies, etc). There are so many kinds and types that it's all about what is best for you!!

Since baby has to go to daycare (almost positive), we are more limited. I'll stick up on blueberry pockets and AIOs. I'd go a cheaper route if I were going to stay home.

November 9th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Veteran
Thanks for the advice! It's funny... my first thought was, "I'll never get my husband to use prefolds", but my second thought was, "wait, it's pulling teeth to get him to change diapers anyways, what's the difference?" (he's much better at helping ME out so I can take care of the bebe than he is with actual baby care - at least the messy stuff). I've heard good things about both the Thirsties duo covers and the Bummis Super Brite. Are there other covers you might recommend for the newborn stage?

Thanks!
November 9th, 2013, 10:18 AM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I cloth diaper.....my youngest is currently in cloth diapers. I use Alva's and Happy Flute (cloth diaper co-op favorites).

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
November 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
Veteran
Amy - Oh no! It figures you'd find out you were pregnant just as you sold everything. On the flip side, maybe it'll be a good excuse to try out some new patterns or styles :-).

Rhietta - Since you like the Alva's, how big do you think a kiddo would need to be before they started to fit? I've heard the one size ones usually don't fit newborns well.
November 9th, 2013, 11:10 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
We used BG's with Betsy. I'm hoping to use them again with #2 but we'll see about the daycare situation -- at her old daycare, they were fine with CDs but I don't know what this one will do.
November 9th, 2013, 02:47 PM
RhiettaP's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't start ti CD until my babies were ready for sz 2 diapers....they just looked HUGE on them up until that point. I konw THX makes newborn CD's speciffically.

William 11.06.03
Ethan 7.3.08
Liam Ryan 2.17.12
Rowan Oliver 6.19.14
November 9th, 2013, 02:59 PM
TiggersMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I've never heard of a OS diaper that fits the average NB properly. Most people either wait to start when baby is big enough or do prefolds in the beginning. For prefolds, I recommend Green Mountain diapers. You'll need 24-48 depending on how frequently you change and want to wash. I highly recommend getting more so that you don't have to wash everyday. Washing every day is a chore. Washing every 2-3 days is nothing. For NB covers we used thirsties XS, Bummis S, and Prorap NB (great before the cord falls off).

November 9th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Veteran
We thought about it with DS2 but decided against it, but now we are seriously talking about doing it with this one. I think what changed our minds is a little boy at our church that wears cloth diapers and we have him in the nursery a lot and have realized how easy they can be. Although the first time I changed him we looked at the liner and couldn't figure out which way it went in the diaper, so I made and educated guess. As soon as I got him changed DH look at me and says "oh right here it says this side up!" So I had to take it back off and flip the little liner thing lol
I also think that will help cut costs so I can stay at home and not have to work about buying diapers every month.

Mommy of two Boys
Expecting Baby Boy #3!!

Angel in Heaven 7/2013
November 10th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I used them with my son and most of my family uses cloth for their kiddos. We all use Fuzzibunz (pre-production in china- or at least when my son was born they were about to move to china- maybe that's different now).
However, my son was a huge baby and the fuzzibunz didn't work very well for him- he always leaked out. I think it was because of his thighs- they were monstrous!! Lol. Because that's where he leaked; either the diaper would end up being too tight around his thighs or it would leak. It was disappointing because I saw how well they worked for my family! I just couldn't give up though and so I bought some WAHM diapers on Etsy but they almost all ended up being destroyed within a few uses, from being poorly made.
Over the years I have sold off some of my stash when in need of money; but I still have about 7 mediums left. I do plan to try cloth again, but I won't be investing in a huge stash until I find one that works perfectly for us. I also use disposable in the newborn stage because there will already be enough to do and get accustomed to!

November 10th, 2013, 04:03 AM
MarchMom2007's Avatar Sticky baby wanted!
Definitely cloth here. I did cloth with my DS, but had to stop at 11 months because he developed such horrible diaper rash due to my not being able to properly strip his dipes. This time around I am going with flats and prefolds with covers so I can get them super clean and dry as easily as possible. I loved his AIO's and fitteds, but they just take so long to dry and I felt like they never really got clean enough for me. I still might have a few on hand for sitters and possibly for daycare, but for now I am just drooling over things like this: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1515660...ie+dye+diapers

Cautiously expecting a little one sometime in June, and always remembering my 5 little ones that left too soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search