Appt. Update (Genetic Counseling and CVS)

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree12Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2013, 05:49 PM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
Hi all, I just got home. We (DH and I) met with a genetic counselor and that was pretty upsetting. She told us that due to our off-the-charts nuchal fold measurement, the baby has at least a 65% chance of a genetic disorder of some kind. She also brought up the possibility of a heart defect.

Then it was time for the CVS. My placenta is high, so the doctor had to go in with the needle abdominally. It did hurt more than I expected. But most of all it was just uncomfortable and felt sort of gross. He had to go in twice to get a good sample, but it didn't take terribly long.

They tell me it will be about ten days for the results. Assuming that's ten business days, I'll be finding out around Christmas Eve.

ETA: I tested positive for Strep B bacteria, so I have to take 3x a day antibiotics for a week. Ugh!

ETA2: The doctor who did the CVS wants me to take it easy for a few days - no sex, no exercise, not even grocery shopping. And he gave me a note to stay out of work until Friday.

Last edited by alliebeecher; December 10th, 2013 at 08:08 PM.
December 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Spottts's Avatar Super Mommy
((Hugs))
Mom to 3 girls - one age 9 and two 7 year old twins. Baby GIRL #4 due July 5
December 10th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Halloween81's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you are going through this. I know how hard it is to find out early in pregnancy there might be something wrong with the baby. I hope the cvs results come back normal. My thoughts are with you.
Chemical pregnancy - January 9, 2010
Miscarriage at 10 weeks - April 21, 2010
Miscarriage at 7 weeks - October 22, 2010
Miscarriage at 10 weeks - May 14, 2011
Miscarriage at 17 weeks - December 7, 2011 (My sweet little Joshua had Achondrogenesis type 2)
Miscarriage at 5 weeks - June 5, 2013

All test results normal. Reason for RPL unknown.

December 10th, 2013, 06:51 PM
Grace's Avatar Seven is Heaven
I'm so sorry you are going through this hun, sending hugs your way and many prayers.

7/2010 10/2010 05/2012
December 10th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry you guys are going through this. Praying that all the tests come back normal and you can enjoy the rest of your pregnancy. ((Hugs))
moxiemommie and Johnsgirlsx3 like this.
December 10th, 2013, 07:21 PM
Super Mommy
I'm sorry you're going through all of this, I really hope that you get some answers quickly.

65%, while a high likeliness, you still have a 45% chance that things are OK.

Prepare for unfavorable news, but hope for the best!

Please be sure to keep us updated.

*hugs*
AtomicMama and moxiemommie like this.
December 10th, 2013, 07:24 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry. Thinking and praying for you

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 10th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
*hugs* Hopefully the CVS testing comes back okay and everything turns out well. I slmost hate to say this and wonder if I should... but even on the chance it does come back abnormal, know we are all hear for you and you can get through it. I know a great lady whose daughter Ava had several surgeries due to two holes in her heart, but now shes a normal 8 year old. Ive also known a few downsyndrome kids with heart defects that did have heart surgeries and are doing very well, one even had a heart transplant at 28yrs old and hes in his 40's now. Its not an easy thing to go through and dealing with a child with a developmental disability is very trying, but it's really wonderful too. I hope everything comes back fine. We are all here for support and Lots of prayers for you and your baby. Keeping you and baby in my thoughts and prayers <3

December 10th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Super Mommy
Oh allie! I have some serious hugs for you. If you want to pm me or call on a phone and chat over a virgin margarita I am here for you, mama. I'm in Phoenix, so I think I'm only an hour ahead of you.

December 10th, 2013, 09:19 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Allie I am going to pm tomorrow (east coast and just reading it's after midnight) my heart is heavy for you and I am praying for good results the next 10 days will seem like an eternity...I'm here for you. Lots of prayers and hugs to you
December 11th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
I hope it all goes well with your CVS Allie!!! Hugs!! <3 Thanks for the update and take it easy the rest of the week and the weekend!!
December 11th, 2013, 07:41 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Praying that everything comes back showing that baby is in that 45% and is healthy and happy. Whatever happens, we are here for you.
moxiemommie likes this.

December 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
susie_q's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh my gosh Lots and lots of hugs your way. There's still a chance all could be okay. If you need anything or just want to vent, I'm here.

December 11th, 2013, 07:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry about the strep, I tested positive with Luke and had to do an Iv before I gave birth. Two hours of penicillin... I hope everything is ok. It may be nice for you to take it easy... and hopefully those results come back perfect! Thanks for the update!

December 11th, 2013, 09:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'll be keeping you in my T&P. Please keep us updated.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

December 11th, 2013, 09:10 AM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
Hoping and hoping that the results come back showing a healthy baby. Thinking of you!
moxiemommie likes this.
December 11th, 2013, 09:26 AM
RunningMommyTo5's Avatar Marathoning Mom to 4!
I know the 65% statistic can be daunting, but as a couple others posted, 35% is still a good chance that things could be ok. Praying that the results come back as you want them to, and if not, that you are given the strength you need. I have worked with children and adults with disabilities and down syndrome and they are some of the most loving humans with the best hearts I've ever known. They are such a blessing to their families and those who know and love them.

I know 10 days feels like an eternity, but I hope that they are able to get it to you much more quickly than that. Forgive me for not knowing, but what is the next step once the results come back? Is there more testing to be done based off this test? Please KUP!
moxiemommie likes this.
*~*~ Katie; Mommy to 3 fun-loving boys, one sweet little baby girl, and #5 on the way! *~*~

December 11th, 2013, 09:54 AM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningMommyTo5 View Post
I know the 65% statistic can be daunting, but as a couple others posted, 35% is still a good chance that things could be ok. Praying that the results come back as you want them to, and if not, that you are given the strength you need. I have worked with children and adults with disabilities and down syndrome and they are some of the most loving humans with the best hearts I've ever known. They are such a blessing to their families and those who know and love them.

I know 10 days feels like an eternity, but I hope that they are able to get it to you much more quickly than that. Forgive me for not knowing, but what is the next step once the results come back? Is there more testing to be done based off this test? Please KUP!
There could be more testing, depending on the results. For example, if the CVS comes back showing everything normal, they want to run a couple more specialized tests to check for disorders that CVS doesn't test for. If THOSE tests come back normal, they would want to monitor the baby's heart for defects at 20 weeks.

DH and I are not so worried about Down Syndrome- of course it is a bit daunting to imagine having a special needs child - but we're more than happy to welcome a Downs baby into our lives. There are much nastier things, however, that CVS tests for. I stopped doing my own research after I read about those.
December 11th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Missymoos's Avatar 1st time Momma-to-be
*hugs*

I know these test results can be scary and my heart and thoughts go out to you!

I have had two girlfriends go through scares like this one - the first one was actually told to consider terminating b/c they believed the babies brain wasn't developing properly...she did nto terminate and gave birth to a perfectly healthy baby who is now a smart as a whip 5 year old. My other girlfriend had similar results as yours but the second round of tests cleared her and her little boy is a happy and healthy 1 and a half year old now.

If you do have a child with special needs, it's really good that you and your husband are on the same page and at the very least, you will be prepared in advance for what you will need to have/do to care for a special needs child.

Keep us updated and like the other ladies above, I'm here for you if you need to talk, vent or just be distracted in some way
moxiemommie likes this.
December 11th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Justjessie's Avatar Really Just Angela
65% is high but so is 45%!!! We'll hope for the 45% for you. Did you have the NT scan first and then they referred you to a genetics counselor?
moxiemommie likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search