Anyone else feeling overwhelmed?

Forum: Due Date Club of June 2014

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Due Date Club of June 2014 LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 13th, 2013, 09:57 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm completely overwhelmed right now. I keep worrying-- because we have SO much to get ready for the baby. We need baby furniture, diapers, clothes, toys, blankets, bedding, breastfeeding stuff, etc etc etc.. First of all, I don't even know what to get!!! I don't have a clue what I'll need as far as breastfeeding goes.. and everything else seems new since I've had my son. I am feeling completely overwhelmed! Also, we can't even really start buying until we know the gender- so then that leaves us with even less time to prepare.

I'm starting to seriously worry if we'll be ready!!!! (Materials wise... not physically or mentally, lol)

Anyone else feeling overwhelmed or scared??

December 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM
AllyTales's Avatar Super Mommy
I'm more scared for the actual baby

I'm not really that scared stuff won't get done, or I won't have it all. I'll be having a baby shower, so I'm sure I'll get stuff I need that way. And I know I have plenty of time. I know time flies, but the summer seems so far off. I try to take things one day at a time

♥ due with little GIRL June 1 ♥
December 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Sure, some days But then, I remind myself how with DS I was freaking out and wanted everything before hand. Like, sippy cups and spoons and things he wouldn't need for a year And I was stock piling shampoo for myself. Apparently I had decided I'd never leave the house again.

Then he was born and I realized I needed my Boppy, some sleep gowns, and a place for him to sleep. That was about it, really, for a few weeks. I mean, sure we USED other things, but I learned I would have gotten by with much less. I'm trying to keep that in the forefront of my mind. That if baby comes home to an unfished room or a closet that isn't stocked with clothes up to size 2T, I'll be okay.

I'm not saying that you're like I was, I realize I was very extremem But maybe try to prioritize your list? Even writing it down may make you feel better. List out what you MUST have before baby is born. Then, list what would be nice to have. Then, list wants that you can get if there is time and money, but that you can also pick up later on, if need be. The nice thing about breastfeeding is that you don't need much at all Just yourself, really.

Will you have a shower for baby?

December 13th, 2013, 10:10 AM
Britt3's Avatar Super Mommy
Yeah, we'll be having a baby shower- but because my family and (most of my) friends live 8 hours away, it'll only be my DP's family and friends. The only friends I've really made here so far are in his family.. lol. He says we'll probably get some big stuff - but I don't want to bank on it in case.

December 13th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
There are times I get overwhelmed. I think...we have to register, we better start working on the nursery as soon as we know the gender, we need to nail down a name, I better sign up for classes....it never ends.

Then, I remind myself that I still have 26+ weeks, which is a lot of time. We moved across the country, and I had our entire house clean, unpacked, and decorated in less than a week. Stuff will get done and does get done. I think once we hit 20 weeks and know the gender, we'll better be able to prepare. And like previous posters have said, you really don't need very much for a newborn.

Sweet Baby Boy Due June 18

December 13th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Demetria's Avatar Mama to an Angel :(
My only issues comes from worrying about whats going to happen with Ava wanting to be held a lot when I get bigger, and how she is going to deal with a new baby in the house that I have to hold.

Now that we are having a boy, I am just now realizing that we have to start from scratch with everything...clothes, gear and everything else. Not really worried about that as I realized with all of the other kids, I brought way too much stuff, especially with Ava, that I didn't need or even use.
December 13th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I cant really start getting ready until we get our tax return. The most important thing, other than getting the baby's room ready, getting the crib from our old house, dresser, ect.; is our SUV. I can get a pretty good deal on a chevy V8 SUV with about 80,000 mi. For around 7k. It doesnt have to be a dream vehicle, just something that will last us 3 years until we can built our credit a bit more and buytwo newer used vehicles. (I will never buy new again! Lol) Then I still have my car, also. But that will leave us a bit tight. Fortunately we dont need too much and I know family and friends will be dying to get things, esp if its a girl LOL. I do need a new carseat for Luke as well as the baby ... Slthough I do have Lukers old carseat... I could use that. I have to find it though...

December 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
alliebeecher's Avatar Veteran
Well, I definitely DID feel that way but I think I found a way to get past it. Here are my (granted, possibly naive) suggestions:

Go ahead and make your registry even if you aren't sure exactly what you want. As you go along, you'll be reading reviews and doing research, and you can always put one thing on the registry now, just to have that "category" taken care of, and change it later once you've researched more.

Amazon has a pretty cool baby registry "helper" feature, where they give you lots of categories to check off, like different baby essentials.

My other suggestion - if this is possible - is to identify who in your life might be able to get you a "big ticket" item, and just reach out to them and say "look, I need you to figure out what you're buying my baby so I can plan what I need to buy." Maybe I'm a greedy ******* but this is the approach I took with my parents, and knowing that they were willing to take care of the crib allowed me to start planning for other big items.

Oh - and one more Amazon suggestion in case you didn't know - you can totally do subscriptions through Amazon for diapers and wipes, they'll deliver a set amount every month. AND if you join Amazon Mom ($79 a year), you get like 20% off your diaper/wipes subscription!
December 13th, 2013, 05:04 PM
mrsdaiwa24's Avatar Amy, soon-to-be-mama of 2
One of the things you can do is ask friends and family for registry suggestions -- ask them what they used and what they didn't. Browse through places like Babies R us NOW so you can start researching what you think you might want -- going through a place like BRU can be incredibly overwhelming but if you do it in small chunks, it's not so bad.

Newborns really don't need a lot. And half the stuff you buy for them probably won't even get used -- they'll quickly outgrow their newborn clothes, they'll decided they hate the swing or will only want to sit in the bouncy seat.

Do it in small steps and you'll be alright. You don't have to get everything right away. I didn't buy baby gates until Betsy was crawling -- didn't need them until then and they would have just taken up space. We didn't put the high chair together until she was ready for solid food.

You'll get it all done mama. Trust me! It will all come together before baby arrives in June!
December 13th, 2013, 05:08 PM
njkatc's Avatar Kelly
I'm feeling overwhelmed about the holidays, not really about the baby. There isn't much that we need for the baby. I just have to shufle the kids rooms so the baby has his own room until he's a good sleeper and doesn't disrupt Alex since he's got to go to school. I want a shower though, this is definitely my last baby and I want to celebrate that a little bit more. We didn't have a shower for Ava, only for Alex.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search